PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush Purchase

Royce Meritt
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
I would like to get an inexpensive air brush to do some finishing techniques on some turning projects. Mostly very small items such as fishing lures, some pens, etc. I've used some paint techniques to produce the scale patterns on fishing lures but the rattle cans don't give me the type of control I'd like.

My research shows me that one can spend as little or as much as one wants on a system. Ranging from a $50-$60 kit that includes the gun, hose, compressor, etc. to $100 for just the gun and $160 (or more) for the compressor.

Anyone have any advice on what to get? Keep in mind I will only use this a few times a year so don't want to invest a great deal of money. I'd like to stay near the lower end of that spectrum.

Bob Bergstrom
01-31-2012, 11:35 AM
I would suggest using a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. They sell Iwata airbrushes and they are good. Not cheap but your results will be better. Poor atomization causes dots on you project that will show as bowls are usually viewed pretty close.

Eric Skell
01-31-2012, 11:53 AM
The 40% off Hobby lobby suggestion is a good one. I recently bought a Pasche H series from Amazon for $45 on the guidance of an artist friend. I have used it to spray Lacquer on a couple small projects and it seems to work well for me. Simple to use, simple to clean. Couldn't ask for anything else.

Joe Landon
01-31-2012, 4:48 PM
I would recommend the Paasche VL-202S Airbrush Kit for around $125. You can use any compressor as long as it has a regulator.

Peter Elliott
01-31-2012, 5:03 PM
Joe, can be found on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-VL-202S-Airbrush-Anodized-Aluminum/dp/B00397VY7E) for a lot less, around $62

Ron Natalie
01-31-2012, 7:45 PM
I've used a Paasche VL for years. The only problem is it's not the greatest thing for quick changes of colors.
I've got an AB Turbo, but I've not attempted to use it yet.

Jim Burr
01-31-2012, 7:46 PM
I have Paasche Talon found on CL with a compressor, 2 cups and 2 jars. To avoid getting slapped around I'll keep the price to myself...but there are deals out there to be had. If you know anyone that uses a nail salon, have them check there, mine came from a gal leaving the business.

Harvey Ghesser
01-31-2012, 8:37 PM
Methinks I need one!

Baxter Smith
01-31-2012, 8:44 PM
Hope reading this thread doesn't get too expensive for me!

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-31-2012, 9:12 PM
1st I would only consider a dual action airbrush. I use & recommend Iwata's. Excellent quality & repair parts are readily available. Yes most will cost over $100 but should last many many years with proper cleaning & maintenance.
They also have a good resale value on ebay if you decide airbrushing is not for you.

Bill Hensley
02-01-2012, 7:19 AM
I have an Iwata, got it from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. I got it to paint crankbaits and it does all I could ask. With the cup on top color changes and cleaning are quick. I also use it for coloring or tinting turnings. I also have an older Badger with the siphon jar underneath. Because it holds more I use it for spraying lacquer on small and medium size turnings. It works very well for finishing but it lacked the detail capabilities of the Iwata.

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-VL-3W-Double-Action-Airbrush/dp/B000BR0OXU

The "kit" comes complete with everything you could need except a compressor and regulator.
Iwata brushes are reputed to be excellent if somewhat on the pricy side.

Charlie Myers
03-16-2012, 1:44 PM
I have the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and have painted a few lures of my own. I can't comment about other brushes because this is the only one I've ever used. It comes stock with a .35mm nozzle which may or may not be too small for what you plan to do with it. I've also purchased a .5mm needle/nozzle set to better shoot metallic paints. It's a well built brush.

Charlie

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2012, 6:17 PM
I just purchased a Paasche Talon. The kit came with 3 tips and a fan cap that sprays 2 to 3 inch wide. Nice unit and works well.

Gary Kman
03-17-2012, 8:20 AM
Harborfreight on sale for $17.99. If you don't like it, take it back.
An airbrush compressor isn't good for anything else. If you don't have a compressor at all, get a general purpose half to one hp one at a garage sale or craigslist.
Or get an 11 gallon air tank for $34.99 while you are picking up the airbrush, air up to 30 psi at the gas station on the way home and paint pens and lures for months on the charge. Plus you'll be the hero of the household or the neighborhood when somebody has a flat.

John Keeton
03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
I am far from an accomplished airbrush artist - very far!!! But, I did purchase the double action HF airbrush and their dedicated airbrush compressor, on sale, with a 20% discount coupon for about $65-70 as I recall. It seems to work fine for me. I doubt it would compare to the quality units for doing high level work, with very fine detailing, but I get no splatters, and it is quick, clean and simple to use. At the very least, it has allowed me a chance to play with one for awhile to see if it is something into which I might want to invest a little deeper.