PDA

View Full Version : help with touch up color in QSWO after transtint dye

Chad Bender
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm currently finishing a QSWO side table, using the Homestead finishing recipe for duplicating the Stickley Onedaga finish. This essentially involves Transtint dye, followed by sealer, followed by a gel stain to darken the pores, followed by a top coat. The recipe works great! However, one board in the table top has a minor surface split in the top that I failed to notice prior to the glue up. Essentially a bit of the wood has just started to split out, like might happen if you pried too hard with a chisel (I didn't do this, it's just how the wood is).

I've sanded everything flush, so by touch the defect is invisible. However, I can't get the transtint to absorb along the edge of the split, so visually there is a very noticeable "white" line that runs along the split. I've tried applying the dye directly along the split and just letting it sit there without wiping, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

I figure there must be some other coloring product I can use to blend the color into the background, but haven't a clue what it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

glenn bradley
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm unclear as to whether this area is still "sanded flush" or has top coat on it. If bare, I would touch up with dye and an artists brush. If top coated, any colorant will be setting on the surface of the top coat and present a challenge. If this is the case I will defer to some of our finishing guru's. ;-)

Scott Holmes
01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Without seeing the defect I am only offerring a possible fix... size and width of defect may change the approach.

A dental tool scratch to imitate grain, gel stain "fill", then top coat.