PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a used laser

Jeff Monson
01-31-2012, 9:07 AM
I ran across a site that has a few different used lasers for sale, they advertise them as refurbished, with a 6 month warranty. They have listed a 2005 Trotec speedy 2 and a 2010 Epilog that both intrest me.

What precautions should a person take when buying a used machine?

Are there any specific questions I should ask?

Mike Null
01-31-2012, 9:25 AM
Jeff

Rob Bosworth is a member here and can help you find a good machine. http://www.usedlasers.com/

John Edgerton
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
I recently purchased a used Epilog system. Before I purchased it, I contacted Epilog and they answered all of my questions (patiently I would add). Here are some of the questions I could think of:

Cost to refurb or replace laser tube?

Average life of laser tube?

Common wear out items and estimated cost to replace?

How to check out the machine mechanically?

What to look for to determine if materials with chlorine had been cut or engraved?

John

Jeff Monson
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Mike, that is the site they are listed on, I was not sure if it was ok to post it...so I left it out.

Roger Leiva
01-31-2012, 1:00 PM
JEFF, I ask: How long the machine has worked and what has been cutting and engraving materials (to determine the laser tube life and if you cut some material with PVC components that damage or corrode the equipment). What is the price of the machine when bought new? Furthermore, the observed internally to determine if you have good maintenance and cleaning.
Greetings Roger (C.R.) Epilog Mini 18.

Dee Gallo
01-31-2012, 2:47 PM
Jeff,

I don't know about other manufacturers, but Epilog will tell you the repair history of the machine if you give them the serial number. This might give you some more insight into its history and also tell you if the seller is telling you all the facts.

cheers, dee

Michael Gonzales
02-01-2012, 4:23 AM
Jeff, I looked for about a year for a good deal on a laser. Most of the professional engravers I spoke to used Epilog for their business due to their Customer Service. I bought an Epilog 7045. That's a 45w 24"x12" working area that is an older model 2003. I bought it on ebay and the Tech support acted like I bought it new from them when I called and asked for HELP. Dee gives good advice and you will need the serial # of the machine for that. I aslo heard of Rob Bosworth being a help and would recommend using all the help you can get for example... Epilog Summit is a good machine but when the tube goes the replacement of the tube is not worth the value of the machine. That would be a very expensive paper weight. I almost did that without the advice that Dee gave. Good luck buddy.

Mike g

Howard Garner
02-01-2012, 5:59 PM
I can vouch for Universal. I picked up a used VersaLaser VL300 off ebay that was a bank repro.
Universal was able to give me all the information on the machine and has been very supportive of it.

Howard Garner
Pickens, SC

Gary Hair
02-01-2012, 6:49 PM
but Epilog will tell you the repair history of the machine if you give them the serial number.

Only if the problems were diagnosed and repaired by Epilog. I only know that because I was given a very old Radius that had been repaired LOTS, Epilog had no record of any repairs or parts associated with that laser. If they do have parts and repairs as being needed for a machine, I would believe them, if they don't show anything I wouldn't necessarily believe it - not that they are wrong or holding back, they may truly not know of the problems.

Gary

Kevin Groenke
02-01-2012, 7:58 PM
We purchased a refurbished X2-660 from Access Business Solutions (usedlasers.com) last fall. Mr. Bosworth knows his stuff and stands by what he sells (fortunately for us, he's also 30 minutes away).

Universal, Epilog and Trotec all have very strong reputations for customer service/tech support. If it weren't for SawStop and McNeel Software (Rhino), I would say that ULS is the best company I do business with (it's a 3 way tie as it is).

-kg

Pete and Carmen Vaca
02-04-2012, 1:27 AM
Jeff,

I picked up a used Kern Laser, knew a bit about the history of the machine, needed a little elbow grease, disassembly/cleaning. I am comfortable working on machines similar ot this so I was not too concerned, made sure the tube fired and did a few test cuts/engraves.

Like others have stated, make sure you can get the service and tech support you will need.

-Pete

TAMI WILSON
02-04-2012, 6:13 AM
whatever you do, under no circumstances ship the laser UPS. I made that mistake. I paid $7000. for a used Versalaser 50 watt and had it shipped UPS insured. They destroyed it. When the laser arrived it looked like the box had been dropped out of a truck going 50 down the highway. They are denying it was their fault saying it was not packed properly. This is after their inspector told me it was packed well and he could see no reason why my claim would be denied. Well to make a long story short I am out $7000. plus $226, shipping, and it is now in the hands of The Atty. General. I am praying they can do something for me. I have since found out UPS is famous for destroyng things and denying claims. Just google UPS insurance claims. It isn't pretty. Anyhow UPS insurance is worthless so do not think you are protected by buying it.

Tami

John Noell
02-04-2012, 4:23 PM
My "UPS Disaster" was not so costly but very similar. We used a fancy hot foam box-embedded-in-a-box packing system and they STILL destroyed the contents (a computer kiosk). They bent thick PLATE STEEL and cracked the motherboard through two layers of heavy duty corrugated boxes with hard foam between them. A very impressive smashup. Insurance? Haha!!! The only comparable experience I've had was when the car dealer told me that they could not tell if the broken torsion rod on my new car was due to bad workmanship or faulty materials. Although both were covered, he said since they could not tell for sure which it was, I would have to pay for the repair (and he was serious)!!

Mark Ross
02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I would also add to check the availability of replacement parts, if the machine is so old they do not service or support it anymore, fixing it might be tough.