PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got the Hitachi 10" Sliding CMS??

Terry Hatfield
04-25-2003, 9:18 PM
Hey all,

Checked out one of these at Lowe's today. Seemed really well built and smooth as glass. Much smoother than the 12" Dewalt, at least the one that Lowe's had on display.

Just wondered if anyone had one they could comment on.

Thanks,

Terry

Steve Clardy
04-25-2003, 9:44 PM
I did some piece work a few years back for some people in the furniture business. They had a 8 1/2 slider and also a 10" slider. They really liked those saws. Nice and smooth. They did have to keep an eye on the grease in the gear drives though. Not a belt drive like my dewalt slider. I think they are priced about 150.00-200.00 more than the dewalts. I will probably buy one if I ever wear this dewalt out.
Steve

Terry Hatfield
04-25-2003, 9:49 PM
Steve,

Lowes had the 10" Hitachi for $499 and the 12" Dewalt for $599. Don't do any crown moulding so I figured I could get by with the 10" just fine. I was really kinda suprised by how much smoother the Hitachi was.

Thanks,

Terry

Steve Clardy
04-25-2003, 10:00 PM
One of these days my old craftsman radial is to be converted to a boat anchor, move the dewalt to the back for rough cutoffs, and have one of them new hitachi sliders sitting up front where i do the assembling.
Getting any rain down yonder lately?
We're about flooded out here, ponds running over, water over the main bridge coming home, can't mow[gloat], worms floating to the top for air. Ha. Steve:D

Terry Hatfield
04-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Steve,

I think I'm gonna hafta buy me one!!!!

It's just drizzly, windy and generally nasty here. Got some rain but not like you folks did. Stay dry!!!

Terry

Steve Clardy
04-25-2003, 10:13 PM
rain to drown a worm, so I'll open up the gate and let some flow down to ya.
Yea, get them moths out and buy that saw. Can't take it with you they say.
Planning on a trip down there this year sometime. Gotta see all the other 26 younger cousins and all the aunts and uncles again. Try to slide by your place if time permits. Gotta see that surgery room of yours. Steve:D

Terry Hatfield
04-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Steve,

Just let me know when. You are always welcome here.

Terry

Bill Spero
02-28-2004, 8:04 PM
Terry, it's about the best tool I've ever purchased. My radial saw has become almost as much a relic as my tredmill.

Bill

Joe Bourbois
02-28-2004, 8:22 PM
Terry, I don't have the 10", but I have had the Hitachi 8.5" slider for six or seven years. It's a quality tool.

Barbara Gill
02-28-2004, 8:27 PM
I bought my Hitachi 10" CMS not too long after they came out. I forget how long ago that was. I have used it to make thousands of cuts end matching flooring and making parquet. It is a great saw if they are still making them as good as the originals.

Gene Collison
02-28-2004, 8:40 PM
Hey all,

Checked out one of these at Lowe's today. Seemed really well built and smooth as glass. Much smoother than the 12" Dewalt, at least the one that Lowe's had on display.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry,

I have one, the 10 FSH with laser. I really like it, one of the things that I especially like is the 2 piece fence which give you more options on adjusting it for squareness. I once had a miter saw with a one piece fence, I could never get it perfectly aligned because when you tightened the fence down it would distort. The two piece solves that problem. The laser is totally adjustable, it can be set so that the cut divides the laser line. The saw also features bevel stops too, mine was received very closely setup. You know, most people say, it was right on, but it really depends what is used to check it. A Starrret combination square with 24" hardened steel rule is my checker. Mine was very close.

Gene

Walt Pater
02-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Terry, reviewing your profile, it doesn't seem like you are likely to encounter the biggest problem I have with Hitachis: the really really low fences, at least the last time I checked. So, since you are not likely to take on a 8 3/4" crown molding job, I will say that some regard Hitachis as the most accurate SCMS out there. I would have one now, were it not for the low fences, and my dread of having to cut crown on the flat. (Upside down and backwards, that's what works for me.) That, and my knuckles kept hitting the table surface every time I tightened the miter table's adjustment knob. Thing was just too low. Also, I used a Hitachi 8 1/2 just last week, and the bevel cuts were not cutting square, even though the straight cuts were. It wasn't my saw, so I didn't try to correct the problem, but just so you know-things are out there. I say go for the Hitachi over the Dewalt- a fine saw, but the 12" blade gives way to all sorts of deflection problems. Good Luck. Walt

Terry Hatfield
02-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Gosh guy's were we digging throught the archives or what??? :D This thread is from last April!!!

I bought the Hitachi months ago and have been totally pleased with it.

Terry

Bart Leetch
02-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Ya even I knew that you had this saw Terry, I been drooling over your saw for the last few months. And the SCMS table ain't bad either.

Mark Singer
02-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Terry
I have the hitachi 8 1/2 " and it is great! It is a standard among finish carpenters and hardwood flooring installers. I go to a lot of jobsites and Hitachi seems to be twice as popular among the pros as any other brand. I have had mine for about 7 years and find it very accurate and powerful.

Walt Pater
02-29-2004, 9:12 AM
Gosh guy's were we digging throught the archives or what??? :D This thread is from last April!!!

I bought the Hitachi months ago and have been totally pleased with it.

Terry

Terry: so, shopaholic, buy another!!! This way, you could slide twice as far. Enjoy your Sunday.

Bill Spero
02-29-2004, 7:32 PM
Terry: so, shopaholic, buy another!!! This way, you could slide twice as far. Enjoy your Sunday.
Terry,
You found me out. I'm new her and was reading from back to front. I started at the last (or first, depending on how you look at it) and am up to page 100. I'll catch up eventually. When I saw your question on the slider I was moved to comment. I really like mine that much. :-)>

Mark Singer
02-29-2004, 7:34 PM
Terry,
It is always nice to say Hi anyway! Is that beer still cold? I will get there one of these days...

Terry Hatfield
02-29-2004, 7:38 PM
Bill,

:D I like mine very much as well.

t

Terry Hatfield
02-29-2004, 7:39 PM
Terry,
It is always nice to say Hi anyway! Is that beer still cold? I will get there one of these days...

Mark,

Hi!!! No beer in my frig unless Ken is around. Just water and Dr. Pepper. :D

t

Bill Karow
03-01-2004, 9:58 AM

Finally, a question that *I* can answer! But first, I have to gloat a wee bit. OK, a lot... I bought a Hitachi C10FS when Woodworker's Warehouse was going out of business this December. It was too good of a deal to resist - $200 with a Freud chopsaw blade included (the saw still had it's $449 pricetag). Then I found a coupon on Amazon for a free Hitachi electric drill with the purchase, and just got that drill a few weeks ago. Not bad for $200!

I think it's a great unit. I love the dual bevel action, and once aligned it's stayed remarkably accurate. If I was in the market for another, I'd even pay (shudder) retail for the Hitachi.

[EDIT]Oops, looks like this thread is a golden oldie. In that case, just park my post down as pure gloating :)

Bill