PDA

View Full Version : A color picture of a jack plane I posted long ago.

george wilson
01-30-2012, 9:17 PM
Digging through my slides,I found a color picture of the jack plane I posted in only black and white previously. It was made in the 80's,and is now in the collection of a publisher.

The bottom of this plane is flaked and scraped like the precision surfaces of machines USED to be. Now,they seem to just precision grind them. No picture of that.

The black and white photos are seen in the FAQ section. Perhaps this picture will join the others there.

The stuffing is genuine Cuban mahogany. The body is low carbon steel,and the single iron is 01,3/16" thick. I have no other color pictures of it,but there is a good,sharp picture if the handle taken from exactly the side if anyone wants to use it for a pattern. Look in the FAQ for it.

This mahogany is pretty old. It is as hard as ebony (it seems) and can take the most crisp details that you can carve into it. It is too heavy to float,unlike the mahoganies available today.

The brass cap was sawn out of 1/2" thick brass plate,and filed by hand to get the curves on the sides. The cap screw is similar to those I posted some time ago. David Weaver has some. I always go to the trouble to make authentic threads that resemble Acme threads for my planes,but then I have to make a matching tap to fit it.

I call this plane the elephant due to the resemblance seen in the contours of the sides,and the general mass of this plane.

Look into FAQ to see better details. If you can't get in,contribute!! Then,you can.

David Weaver
01-30-2012, 9:39 PM
It's a lovely looking plane. It's too bad that most of your tools got snarfed off of you by other folks!

Sooner or later I'll make use of the cap screws, probably later this spring. I've been sitting on the pot lately and not doing anything, if you know what I mean.

Chris Griggs
01-30-2012, 9:44 PM
That's a beautiful plane George! And I'm guessing it works even better than it looks. Sweet!

Paul Saffold
01-30-2012, 9:46 PM
It's nice to see you back, George.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Good to see you back George.

Your work is always pleasing to the eyes.

jtk

Eric Brown
01-31-2012, 6:14 AM
I too welcome you back and hope you had a good vacation. Hope your feeling better too.
The plane looks real nice. If you made it again would you do anything different?
Do you think this plane is a display piece or is it used?
If used, will the scraped pattern last long?

Keep em' coming George, love to see your work.

Eric

Klaus Kretschmar
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Nice that you are on board again, George.

The plane seems to be a hefty beast not far from an aircraft carrier - but a real stunner. I've never worked with Mahogny that would have allowed it to be shaped that crisp as the front bun on that plane is sculpted. Lookswise it's incredibly dense and not that open grained as Mahogany often is.

Klaus

george wilson
01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Klaus,If you could look up the black and white pictures,you would see better the sculpture of both the tote and the bun.

Thanks to all of you for your remarks. I see that this plane is not in the FAQ section. Maybe I can find the black and white pictures and bring that post here. I don't have those pictures in my computer.

P.S.: Klaus,I found the post and brought it here so you can see it. You haven't been on this site long enough to see many of my posts.

Niels Cosman
01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Welcome back Mr. Wilson!
Beautiful plane. I am gob-smacked, as per usual!

Joe Fabbri
01-31-2012, 1:40 PM
Great looking plane, George. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'm curious, when you make the soles and sides both from steel (rather than brass and steel), do you still use the dovetail and peining method of attaching (since the effect is lost somewhat on all steel)?

Joe

Bob Glenn
01-31-2012, 2:21 PM
George, Could you expand on the "flaked and scraped" process a bit. I've never heard of it or how it is done. Thanks, Bob Glenn

Jerome Hanby
01-31-2012, 2:47 PM
George, Could you expand on the "flaked and scraped" process a bit. I've never heard of it or how it is done. Thanks, Bob Glenn

I Googled it after I read George's reference. Might be worth a surf and read...

John A. Callaway
01-31-2012, 5:14 PM
Very Nice. I love seeing your work. Few people in the world are as skilled as you are in so many areas.....I can only hope to eventually have a fiftyith ( sp.? ) of a percent of your skills.

Ryan Baker
01-31-2012, 6:57 PM
Welcome back George. Another work of art! It's even better when that work of art is a tool.

Keep em coming. All these little gems of yours sure are inspiration to keep pushing.

David Weaver
12-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Bringing this one back up, since I referenced george's planes in another thread. The lines on this plane and their crispness a so pleasing to the eye.