PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Dan Forman
03-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Just thought it time to introduce myself. I am relatively new to woodworking, have put together a few purely functional projects, decided to take the plunge and assemble a proper home shop in my basement. Just bought a 50 inch Unisaw, now all I have to do is support it with a jointer, planer, bandsaw, and dust collector. Oh...and then actually build some stuff. There are a host of warm up projects to do that are shop related, utility cabinets and such, to get me acquainted with the tools and techniques, Better to make the first hundred mistakes on those before tackling the kitchen cabinets and other furniture I am currently in need of.

I have been doing a bit of research into these items, which can be a dangerous thing for someone without unlimited means. For me it invariably leads to wanting more out of a tool, which means that the price for that object goes up correspondingly. lol I think that I am missing the software which ordinarily tells one where to stop, where to draw the line between what is possible and what is reasonable, given that I am not at this moment a "professional".

I am of the school, however, that believes it is better to be over than under equipped. I am more likely to suffer buyers remorse upon finding out that I didn't spend enough than the other way around.

I am following with interest the various threads about jointers, particularly the one on the new Powermatic parallelogram table 8" vs the DJ20, going back and forth over one of these two vs the Grizzly 8" with spiral cutterhead.

For a bandsaw, am looking at the Mini-Max MM16. This perfectly illustrates the utter futility of trying to save money by reading tool reviews. The more I learned about bandsaws, the more I wanted out of the saw, and the less likely I was to be satisfied by a less expensive model. This probably says more about the aforementioned software glitch than it does about bandsaws. The only glimmer of hope here is that I don't feel compelled to wait for the new 16" resaw capacity model, will be satisfied with the 14"s , and the paltry 3.6 horse motor over the new 4.8 horse. :D

I have the single speed Delta 12" planer, bought used from a friend, , which will likely suffice for a while yet until I get a better handle on where I want to go with that, whether I want to step up to a bigger model, say 15 or 20 inch. Once I get those other big items down in the basement, I will probably not have room for a stand alone model. Sam at Mini-Max has been talking up the combination J/P machines as one solution, though I fear in that direction lies madness. I mean, one has to draw the line somewhere! A 12" jointer sounds pretty good though...

Dan

Oh, one thing I've learned in my first 24 hours on this site is that a certain element here requires some sort of pictorial evidence of tools or projects referred to in one's post, so here is my lonely Unisaw, all dressed up, but nowhere to go (no 240V circuit yet) Should have the wiring done by the weekend.

The other thing I've learnd is what a bunch of fine, generous folks hang out here. Glad to be a part of it.

Dave Avery
03-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Welcome aboard, Dan. You're on the right track as far as tool purchases. Unless you intend to be a "pro" some day, the tools you've mentioned will serve you well for a lifelime.

Carl Eyman
03-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Wish I'd had that as a first saw. In fact, I wish I had that now. Post often, we want to see what you do with the saw.

Jason Tuinstra
03-18-2005, 1:10 AM
Dan, welcome. I'm glad to see a picture of your Unisaw. Right now I have one in a box waiting to come out and come to life, but alas, it won't be for a bit yet. But that's another story.

Sounds like you have quite the tool budget. Some good choices you're throwing around. Can't go wrong. But besides the tools that cost money, I've found the public library to be a tremendous asset in my woodworking. I've become quite familiar with the 684 section over the years :p

Anyway, welcome aboard.

Dan Forman
03-18-2005, 4:04 AM
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm a big supporter of my public library, and I mean that literally, in the sense that my fines go a long way toward keeping them open. lol

I wouldn't ordinarily have a budget like this to work with, came into an a bit of a windfall, trying to use it responsibly. In other words, it would be nice to have some left after setting up the shop. Takes discipline!

Carl---Not really my first saw, upgraded from a Jet contractor.

Dan

Tyler Howell
03-18-2005, 7:16 AM
Welcome Dan,

Being that certain element, you've done well in selection and picture proof.;)

"For me it invariably leads to wanting more out of a tool, which means that the price for that object goes up correspondingly. "
Knowledge is power" Dan quality tools are a good thing.
Glad to have you wading in the creek.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2005, 7:57 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek Dan! Sounds like you've got some good ideas for setting up your shop!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-18-2005, 8:57 AM
Dan,

Welcome to SMC we are glad to have you as a member! Looks like you are setting up your shop right, the first time. Congrats on the UNI it should server you well for years to come!

Jim Becker
03-18-2005, 9:08 AM
Welcome aboard, Dan! There is no harm in investing in the best tools you can afford. You'll enjoy using them and should your situation change, they hold their value much better, too.

No matter which MM16 version you end up with, it will be a wonderful tool. (I have the 12" resaw model previous to the one you are looking at)

As to the jointer/planer, my friend Sam at Mini Max is correct...I took the same path a couple years ago for the J/P and I couldn't imagine doing it differently at this point. I'm a believer in flattening lumber without mutilating it by ripping it to fit the machine. My FS350 (predicessor to the FS35) fits that bill nicely and in a single footprint for both functions.

Mark Singer
03-18-2005, 9:10 AM
Hi, and welcome to SMC.....glad your with us!

Dan Forman
03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Tyler---You, had you in mind when I enclosed the pic. Saw that you are looking into jointers too, what did you find out from Marge?

Ken---Thanks for the welcome.

Jeff---How goes your jointer search? I was tempted by that big PM, but I don't know if I can get it in the door, let alone down to the basement. They don't make a mobile base for it, over 600 lb. The only misgivings I have about the DJ 20 is the fact that it is now made in China. I wouldn't mind Taiwan, but not so sure about China. Wish I knew what compromises they are making over there, if any. It might be perfectly fine, but who knows at this point.

Jim---Can't seem to get that J/P out of my head, wonder if that would fit through my 29" door?

Mark---Thanks for the greeting.

Dan

Robby Phelps
03-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Welcome aboard Dan. Great bunch of folks here eager to help and encourage. We all look forward to seeing the projects you make with your new saw.

Corey Hallagan
03-19-2005, 1:13 AM
Welcome to the site! Great group of guys here. Great saw!!!

Corey

lou sansone
03-19-2005, 6:19 AM
hi dan
welcome to the creek. This is really the best hobby / semi pro site. I personally like the good manners and no foul language ( I am a former US Navy Diver and I assure you I know what swearing is - any other Navy Divers out there @ the creek? ). Anyway you are at the right place. I happen to be one of those weird guys who bought a lot of new equipment when I first got into WW real serious and have spent the next several years selling it and buying used industrial equipement. You might think about that as well as you go forward.
best of luck and start making some sawdust
lou

Brian Hale
03-19-2005, 7:11 AM
Welcome to the Creek!

That Delta looks mighty sweet but Ohhhhh so lonely.

Settle on which machines are in your future before you run the 240v circuits so you don't have to change things later. 10ga wire ain't cheap and is a bit of a pain to work with.

You may want to wait on the bandsaw and see how your woodworking progresses. You might find that the MM16 is less than you need and upgrading can be expensive. Also a bandsaw isn't a must-have machine for case work like cabinets and such.

Get the DC soonest and follow it with a good air filter. Something we don't discuss much when refering to dust control is the rest of the family. A little dust in the shop air is ok because we can wear a nice dust mask, but the really fine particles (the stuff that's most dangerous to you) can float through the house and affect the rest of the family. This is a very real problem in a basement shop.

I only dream about a 12" jointer.......... A J/P combo would be great!!

Once again, Welcome to the Creek. Keep us posted on your progress.

Brian

Dan Forman
03-19-2005, 4:42 PM
Robby, Corey, Thanks for the welcome, hope to have something to show before too long.

Lou---How do you find that industrial stuff? I would not be averse to going that route, but seldom see quality equipment in the want ads locally, and no shops here carry that sort of thing used either.

Brian--- Too late, 240 is already strung, just waiting for a friend to come over and do the final connection. I am running a sub panel, 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits. Ought to handle anything under 5 horses or so, with 12 gauge wire. Maybe should have done one 30 amp just in case. Oh well, once the rest is set up, it wouldn't be that hard to swap in a 30 amp/10 ga.

I know I will want a bandsaw to resaw, not sure if anything that I would be likely to do would require more oomph than the MM16 could muster, and couldn't imagine getting anything bigger down into my basement, or more importantly, up again, should that be necessary. But then, no reason not to allow for the possibility!

Dan