PDA

View Full Version : Extended open time glue?

Joe Cowan
01-30-2012, 8:07 PM
I am close to having to assemble my Maloof laminated rockers. What glue would be the best for this? I have Titebond 3 but would like a little more wiggle room.

Jamie Buxton
01-30-2012, 8:17 PM
Epoxy. You can control the open time to some extent by selecting the catalyst. Unless your shop is blazing hot, you can get an hour of open time. West Systems and System Three make good stuff, and they're both readily available.

ian maybury
01-30-2012, 8:40 PM
Is a different colour of bond line an issue that's likely to arise in this sort of situation guys?

ian

John TenEyck
01-30-2012, 8:58 PM
Titebond makes an extended open time glue:

http://titebond.com/product.aspx?id=d7c6f86b-93cc-4400-99ed-79f8a75a2e95

Howard Acheson
01-30-2012, 9:31 PM
What adhesive did you use for the laminations?

Mike Cutler
01-31-2012, 5:09 AM
I'm with Jamie, Epoxy.
The hardener can be selected for shop temps to extend the open time. Once mixed the epoxy can be removed from the mixing cup,poured into a shallow tray, set on a bed of ice, or a frozen pad, and the time extended even longer.
It's pretty easy to get a working pot life of an hour or more from epoxy.
Titbond's Hide Glue formula has a pretty long open time also if you're uncomfortable with epoxy.

Philip Rodriquez
02-01-2012, 9:30 AM
Like the others, I like epoxy. I only have the slow set stuff and it will give you a half-hour or more. Another option, which may be more practical, is a cold-press glue. I do some veneer work and it can give you 10 to 15 minutes of working time... and it is 1/5 the cost of epoxy.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Joe
Have you looked in to Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue? I have been using it for almost 50 years now. You can get almost 20-30 minutes of open time at the right temperature. The down side of this glue is, joints have to be tight. And it is not useable below 65 degree F. Above 80 degrees open time is cut to about 10 minutes. Home built wood airplanes wings are to this day still using this glue. It come in a dry form that you mix water with, by weight. Tom

Joe Cowan
02-01-2012, 1:13 PM
I posted the question after going to Lee Valley and not finding anything that I had a understanding of. I ended up going to Woodcraft and ordering the Titebond extended period glue. Thanks for all responses.

Neil Brooks
02-01-2012, 1:23 PM
What ever happened to just using TB II, and then letting all **** break loose, while you scrambled to get it clamped up ??

;)

John Coloccia
02-01-2012, 1:24 PM
Joe
Have you looked in to Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue? I have been using it for almost 50 years now. You can get almost 20-30 minutes of open time at the right temperature. The down side of this glue is, joints have to be tight. And it is not useable below 65 degree F. Above 80 degrees open time is cut to about 10 minutes. Home built wood airplanes wings are to this day still using this glue. It come in a dry form that you mix water with, by weight. Tom

Exactly. I was about to write that Ureaformaldehyde is difficult to beat for laminations, both for open time and lack of creep. Weldwood, or any other urea formaldehyde glue would be an excellent choice.

Jeff Duncan
02-01-2012, 6:25 PM
Be aware the Titebond Extend does not offer as much open time as you may need. I bought it for door assembly and it is a bit better than the regular titebond, but not nearly as flexible as some of the other glues mentioned earlier. I'd recommend doing a test project beforehand to make sure it will give you the time you need.

good luck,
JeffD

ray hampton
02-01-2012, 6:46 PM
Joe

I bought Weldwood dry powder 4decades ago but had not find it in any stores since, can/will you tell me where it is sold ?

Neil Brooks
02-01-2012, 7:00 PM
Ray:

Quick google turned up this place. (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2432)

Sure there are others, though.