PDA

View Full Version : my new hollowing rig

allen thunem
01-30-2012, 6:35 PM
my first post in here so be kind...actually i dont like kind i wanna know the truth221944221945

John Spitters
01-30-2012, 7:09 PM
Interesting
I've been debating whether to make one but, so far the best price that I have found on good thrust bearings is $20 each x 6 = $120.00+ tax and shipping, then there is still the cost of the steel and the time and effort to make it.
What did you wind up using for the bearing points? Are they thrust bearings ?

John

Harvey Ghesser
01-30-2012, 7:10 PM
Very nice, Allen. I'd like to see what you can do with it:)

Richard Madden
01-30-2012, 7:43 PM
John,
The thrust washers I used cost $3 somethin' ea. http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Bearing_TPS_I.htm#

Bill Bukovec
01-30-2012, 7:52 PM
Nice design. Graet first post!

What are you using for a cutter?

Bill

Baxter Smith
01-30-2012, 8:07 PM
Very nice job Allen! Have fun with it!

David E Keller
01-30-2012, 8:10 PM
The color is horrible up against that mustard! You're gonna have to change your window dressings and wall color to try and tie all that together... Maybe some throw pillows would help. Sheesh...:D

Ken Glass
01-30-2012, 8:24 PM
Nice Monster clone of sorts. How about sharing costs and suppliers? On second thought, if your happy that's what matters. Well done.

allen thunem
01-30-2012, 8:27 PM
i spent about 31 bucks on bearings and washers 6 bearings 12 washers
i made two end pieces one for 1/2'' bars one for 5/8" bars
i am using trent bosch hollowers
high school buddy owns a steel fab shop so we spent about 4 hours working on the thing
and what is wrong with the color combination?? was gonna make it green originally.
next project is a steady rest
i am not taking any credit for design steve vaughn was gracious enough to take some time out of his day and walk me through how he made his
his is prettier
now i need a laser and again steve has shared his secrets with me
i should be up to john keeton and the great david dicristofo's ability in about 10 yrs if things work out like i hope
i figure about half a forests worth of mistakes

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2012, 9:09 PM
Allen, you did a great job with that thing, and I'm telling you - and others will too - you're gonna LOVE using it! And, thanks for the credit, but I tell ya, these folks on this site get all the credit, really. Making mine, a lot of you shared what and how you did things...so, we'll just spread the love there!

Dan Forman
01-30-2012, 9:10 PM
The truth is...it looks pretty good from here. How does it work?

Dan

charlie knighton
01-30-2012, 9:13 PM
enjoy, Allen, i always like to see a gloat as first post, welcome

John Spitters
01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
John,
The thrust washers I used cost $3 somethin' ea. http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Bearing_TPS_I.htm#

I was looking at those as well, however they are only rated for apx. 120 lbs of torque to be applied and I'm somewhat concerned that not enough rigidity will be in the articulated arm.
Please let me know how this works for you, and specifically if the arm is stiff enough and still free moving.
These were the bearings that I was considering
http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Bearing_B_CSBW.htm
John

Jeremy Leasure
01-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Nice, I really only have one question...Make me one? :D

Jim Underwood
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey... don't sweat the copper color- looks great. Just paint some copper on top of that ugly mustard color...;):D

This looks as good as any other articulated system I've seen. How's it working for you?

John Spitters
01-31-2012, 3:07 PM
Allen
Would it be possible for you to post a more detailed how-to on just how you built this, re: sketched drawings showing size of bearings, through bolts etc and how the bearings are captured.
Would be much appreciated

John

James Combs
01-31-2012, 5:55 PM
I was looking at those as well, however they are only rated for apx. 120 lbs of torque to be applied and I'm somewhat concerned that not enough rigidity will be in the articulated arm.
Please let me know how this works for you, and specifically if the arm is stiff enough and still free moving.
These were the bearings that I was considering
http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/ThrustB_Bearing_B_CSBW.htm
John

Just a note on the bearings used. I have the Mini Monster rig and recently replaced the bearings in the pivots because they "developed" roughness(my fault and another story) anyway the originals and the ones I replaced them with looked very similar to the ones that Allen used. The originals had a red plastic center, my replacements had a blue. Just saying...

allen thunem
01-31-2012, 6:34 PM
I used axial needle thrust bearings with hardened steel washers it wouldnt take much to ruin them if you tightened the through bolt too much. i used lock nuts as to keep the bolt from working loose. I am sure it isnt the engineering marvel that the original monster is but for the 33 bucks I have invested I can replace alot of bearings at 2 bucks apiece.

Bill Bolen
01-31-2012, 11:35 PM
I used the same bearings in my home made rig. Seen hard use for a bit over 2 years now and no problems as of yet.