PDA

View Full Version : Another NE...but w/ Western Larch

mike ash
01-30-2012, 5:46 PM
This NE bowl is from a piece of Western Larch and measures 12" x 6". I posted an HF earlier using this larch and commented on needing to wear out some sandpaper because of the wood's desire to tear and chip, especially in the end grain on the inside of the bowl. Used WOP Minwax and Beall buffed. After taking the photo I noticed the white marks at the rim, which was residue from the buffing, and had to go beck and clean up.

Incidently, I meticulously counted the growth rings and had it at 131 years old!

Another incidently......I'm flying back to North Carolina in the morning and during my visit, I will get to visit briefly with Nate Davey to thank him for his current military service. Yes, I've got my suitcase stuffed with what is either a "potential Bowl" or "potential woodchips". Nate will have to report on which he produced and show photos!!!

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 6:19 PM
That's a fine looking NE bowl, Mike. It seems to have a very thin bark, I'm not familiar with western larch but it's definitely got some nice grain and color. A very nice job on this, very graceful shape. Have a good trip and give Nate our best and a big thank you!

Nate Davey
01-30-2012, 6:28 PM
Mike, that is a beautiful bowl and the wood is very nice. I have some interesting pieces of wood here for you to pick through, don't think that suitcase is going back empty. Can't wait to finally meet you and thank you for your history of service.

Bill Bolen
01-30-2012, 6:29 PM
Wow! That grain is so strong and evenly spaced that it has the appearance of plywood. Great form and even walls too. Cool piece Mike. Enjoy your visit too, I'll be watching for creeker visit pic's.

Dan Forman
01-30-2012, 9:13 PM
Very striking, both wood and form.

Dan

John Keeton
01-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Nice looking bowl! Reminds me of old heart pine, but with much closer growth rings. Nice color.

Roger Chandler
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I really like the grain in this piece........I agree with JK, in that it does remind me of old growth heart pine.........nice stuff!

Kathy Marshall
01-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Nice NE bowl! The grain in the wood looks great!

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Beautiful wood! We have a bunch of Tamarack trees but I have never turned any before. I think the trees are close cousins... and based on this beauty - will have to give it a try! Did it have a heavy pine smell while turning? Nice work!

mike ash
01-31-2012, 5:14 AM
Thanks for the comments. Trying to answer a few Q's....

Larch is fairly hard and has a turpentine smell to it. It didn't cut smoothly for me, eventhough I kept a very sharp tool. I seemed to have difficulty primarily with the end grain on the inside of the bowl, which tells me that the tearout/chipping might possibly have something to do with either the way I presented the tool, or the specific tool selection I used. I was getting pretty good cuts clear up until the cutting edge hit the grain exactly perpendicular to its orientation....and then there was tearout. I kept trying to go back with an even sharper tool and take even lighter cuts, but still got stuck with some heavy sanding to get below the tearout. The depth of the tearout didn't give me much hope for trying to soak with a finish of some sort either.

Oh, on the bark issue raised by Richard, the bark does not adhere to the trunk at all. This tree had been heavily attacked by a bark beetle and the bark just fell off. You can't see it in the photo, but there are interesting little trails where the beetles were munching.

If someone else gives a try to some Larch, I'd be interested in hearing about this tearout issue for you!@

Thanks, Mike Ash

Russell Eaton
01-31-2012, 9:12 AM
Mike that wood has some stunning grain patterns. I like the shape a lot as well. Thanks for showing that beautiful bowl.