PDA

View Full Version : It has been a STRANGE day!

Roger Chandler
01-30-2012, 3:03 PM
I got a call from a fellow member of our club today...........he asks me to meet him downtown at the gallery where we have the table set up for the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree items that will benefit the Wounded Warriors Project. The sales have been super for this, and we cannot keep items on the display table..........

So Don, my friend gathers a box of samples we have made for showing to the other venues this week, and brings them down to the gallery...............

Seems the TV station here has been getting a lot of buzz about this effort.........they want to do an interview on camera ..............guess who gets selected to do it? You guessed it............me! :eek: Geez, a guy cannot do a good deed and remain anonymous around this town! The reporter said the interview would air this evening during the 6 o'clock news...........I did not even have time to put on a necktie or anything!

Now we had to send out word to our members to please make more items........we cannot make them fast enough! :eek:

This has been a strange day.............must be a slow news day, that's all I can figure! Last week the newspaper did another story on it, and went to Don's shop and took pictures..........this is getting to be too much! :eek::D

Robert McGowen
01-30-2012, 3:11 PM
..........this is getting to be too much! :eek::D

He says with a smile on his face! Good job for a good cause!

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 3:30 PM
Just keep telling yourself "it's for a good cause, it's for.....":) I can see payback coming along, it seems your buddy set you up, my friend:D Ties and woodturners don't get along very well, so no loss there. Say "CHEESE". Really though, being a celebrity can't be all that bad, I don't think.

Roger Chandler
01-30-2012, 3:34 PM
Just keep telling yourself "it's for a good cause, it's for.....":) I can see payback coming along, it seems your buddy set you up, my friend:D Ties and woodturners don't get along very well, so no loss there. Say "CHEESE". Really though, being a celebrity can't be all that bad, I don't think.

I am definitely not looking for celebrity status Roland! :eek:

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 4:20 PM
I am definitely not looking for celebrity status Roland! :eek:

:D, Hopefully you can laugh about it tomorrow, hang in there!

Dan Forman
01-30-2012, 4:40 PM
Congrats on your new found notoriety. :D

Dan

David E Keller
01-30-2012, 4:53 PM
Congrats on the publicity for the project, Roger... Sorry you got tagged as the TV spokesman!

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2012, 6:13 PM
What TV station is that Roger?

Jamie Donaldson
01-30-2012, 6:19 PM
Roger- Bill Shatner(Capt. Kirk for those old enough to remember!) was a customer of mine back in my working days as a photographer, and he once gave me a good definition of real fame, and that's when you no longer have to buy your own groceries.

Bill Bolen
01-30-2012, 6:38 PM
Great little story Roger. Sorry about you getting hooked into the tv thing but anything to help your clubs worthy effort! Now you know what Brand and Angelina feel like I guess.:rolleyes:

Roger Chandler
01-30-2012, 6:54 PM
What TV station is that Roger?

Steve............just back to the computer.........the story aired on WHSV TV-3............of course there was some editing and all of what they taped did not show............partly due to an unexpected story they had to show about a shooting that happened in Rockingham county at about 4:30 pm.

Still they did a few snippets promoting the story as teasers when they broke for commercials......each time they showed the items we had on the display table and spoke of the historical tree.

All in all not bad coverage under the circumstances they were dealing with.

Roger Chandler
01-30-2012, 7:14 PM
This snippet of the interview was just posted to WHSV's webpage..........they may add more later........I don't know if they will or not.........anyway, here is a link for those who might have any interest........

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/Group_Turns_Historic_Tree_into_Trinkets_138362584. html

Tom Winship
01-30-2012, 9:08 PM
Just think, Roger. Probably have your own reality series by fall. Something like "Virginny Spinners"? Good job!

Baxter Smith
01-30-2012, 9:10 PM
Congrats Roger. I will be checking PBS regularly!

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2012, 9:15 PM
Looked for the video, but read the story they had online. Looked at the video too, but didn't see the story. Glad though they got the suspect in custody from the shooting...

Steve Mawson
01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Good show, publicity for a good project like this never hurts. Keep up the good work.

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
I turn pieces for the wounder warrior program as well. I feel it's the finest program I can do work for. Thank you for looking out for our soldiers and God Bless.

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Congrats on your interview Roger! Always a good thing to get your cause out to the public! Hopefully it will inspire your fellow club members to keep on turning!

Roger Chandler
01-31-2012, 6:53 AM
Congrats on your interview Roger! Always a good thing to get your cause out to the public! Hopefully it will inspire your fellow club members to keep on turning!

TV-3 aired it again last night at the ll pm newscast, only they had more of the footage, and a bit of the gentleman who was working at Oasis yesterday......he actually called Don and told him ........"we need more stuff, the TV crew is coming to take video and interview" ............it was all a scramble from there to get the items there before the reporter arrived.

All in all a good effort, I guess. My only objection was they used the headline on the web page "Group turns Historic tree into trinkets" .................I don't consider a lidded box or bowl a trinket, but useful items.......same as some of the pens......however, they did call them "useful items" on the newscast!

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2012, 7:33 AM
I noticed the 'trinkets' in the headline and was sure that went over big time! Not! Hope the publicity helps your cause!