PDA

View Full Version : Delta Hollow Chisel Mortiser bit the big one - what's a good model to buy?

Todd Burch
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
It broke. Apparently, the fence (parts diagram #55) is not supplied any more.

(See post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?178186-Project-in-progress-Kitchen-Island&p=1861616#post1861616 for pictures and more info - if you care)

I'm in the market for a new one, probably a floor model. I think this bench top model (14-650) I have will go up for sale - minus the fence.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

Michael Peet
01-30-2012, 7:28 PM
I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses yet. I do not have a mortiser, but if I got one it would probably be a General. They seem to get pretty good reviews.

Mike

Stephen Cherry
01-30-2012, 7:33 PM
I have one like this, it works pretty good. The griz sells one very much like it:
http://shopping.hermance.com/used-machines/Mortisers_2/Used-Bridgewood-Model-MS-12-Mortiser

Bruce Wrenn
01-30-2012, 7:50 PM
All you need to repair that fence is a 25 MM drill rod and a machinest who knows what he's doing. About three or four years ago, my neighbor did one for one of my WW buddies. That whole assemble is a casting. The actual fence is first face ground or machined flat. Then it's attached to a face plate, and the stub is turned. Square face of stub, drill and tap and then thread end of 25 MM rod to fit. Use either a set screw, or red Locktite to hold stationary. PM me if you want for him to give you a quote.

david brum
01-30-2012, 9:39 PM
Just a thought, but a bunch of us upgraded our cheapo mortisers by replacing the fence and hold down with an inexpensive XY vice. It works like butter. Here's random link:

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Wood_How_To_Power/POWER_How_To_pages/GregJones_XYVise_Mortiser_Conversion.htm

Another thought; What about a horizontal mortiser instead of a hollow chisel mortiser. They open up a whole range of possibilities, including loose tenons (super easy and fast) and doweling. The cutters (two flute end mills) are dirt cheap. The Laguna is in the same price range as a stand alone hollow chisel unit. I have the budget Grizzly horizontal mortiser, but it took quite a bit of work to make it acceptable. http://www.lagunatools.com/mortiser-platinumhs#

Kirk Poore
01-31-2012, 9:41 AM
I can personally recommend a Greenlee 227. 1500 lbs of autofeed mortising nirvana! :)

Kirk

Timothy Wolf
01-31-2012, 1:09 PM
I'm leaning toward getting the General benchtop right now, I went looking yesterday and it is head and shoulders above all the others I have seen. The next step up from there would be the General Floor standing or Powermatic Floor standing. If you are on a budget the Woodriver is the same as the Steel City except for the paint. I have several Steel City tools and I think they are pretty good for the price. I plan on looking at the SC before I make a final decision.

Joe Angrisani
01-31-2012, 2:05 PM
Todd.... Just a shot in the dark, but look at the Parts Diagram for Grizzly's Shop Fox G9976. Reference number 64 in the picture is the Fence Support Rod, Part #X1671064 or #9976064. Taiwan being Taiwan, perhaps it'll work (depending on how the ends of your rod are secured). It's only $8.75.

Jerome Hanby
01-31-2012, 2:27 PM
I like my Powermatic...at least as well as I can like anything I haven't taken out of the box yet. After I missed a Delta mortiser someone was selling here my wife told me I should just go find one and quit mopping around. Jet/Powermatic had one of their big sales in progress and that dropped the Powermatic just barely down into my price range at about $350. From talking to folks here and researching on the net, I decided that model was the best bang I could get for the money I could justify spending.

Todd Burch
01-31-2012, 3:47 PM
Not really interested in putting any money into the Delta. If I did find a fence, it would still be underpowered for my likes.

The Greenlee 227 looks sweet. I found an old Powermatic Chain Mortiser for $800 that is (fairly) local - not sure if I want to pull the trigger on that though. Seems to be a good price.

Still shopping...

Bruce Wrenn
01-31-2012, 9:12 PM
Todd.... Just a shot in the dark, but look at the Parts Diagram for Grizzly's Shop Fox G9976. Reference number 64 in the picture is the Fence Support Rod, Part #X1671064 or #9976064. Taiwan being Taiwan, perhaps it'll work (depending on how the ends of your rod are secured). It's only $8.75.Read my earlier post. It's a one piece casting, fence and support rod.

Michael Peet
01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Don't know where you're located Todd but there's a General for sale in the SMC classifieds right now. Not affiliated with seller.

Mike

Todd Burch
04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Sold it. $50 in a garage sale. (no chisels included).

paul cottingham
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I have the General bench top no tilting. Great machine.

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Sold it. $50 in a garage sale. (no chisels included).

So what are your plans for replacement?

Todd Burch
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Plans are on hold. I'm packing up to move, so it will be a while before I do any hollow chisel mortising. Gotta build a workshop!

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Gotta build a workshop!

Brother, that is a feeling I know all too well!

Larry Prem
04-24-2012, 2:23 PM
In my opinion, floating head mortisers are very interesting. On a FH mortiser, the head moves instead of the stock.
The square chisel is replaced with a boring bit. You'll have to square up the edges, but drilling a single mortise is much faster.

Laguna sells an affordable model, but it's a not a true floating head mortiser.
http://www.lagunatools.com/mortisers/mortiser-platinumhs

The rest of the lot looks very similar. Take your pick.
http://www.hingmy.com/woodworkingtools.php?Type=11

Todd Burch
05-29-2012, 11:57 AM
I just won an auction for a floor standing Powermatic Hollow Chisel Mortiser. Looks to be a fairly recent model 719T. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Looks like it is missing the lever arm, but I'm certain I can order one of those. $585, plus fees.

I thought I was going to also score a 25" PM wide belt sander, but a few other guys wanted it more than me. Bidding started at $200. I stopped bidding at $1575, and it sold for $2750 (45 bids) - probably still an excellent buy, considering new ones start at $11K.

Larry Edgerton
05-30-2012, 7:15 AM
If it makes you feel better I bought one of those Powermatic floor models to get me by until I could find a heavy commercial unit, and it works so well that I moved the big morticer way down on my list. Its done a lot of work for what it costs, still working fine. If I get around to it I will post a pic of my air blower mod. I drilled the chisel holder bushing and bent a piece of brake line to go through the bushing and hooked it to a foot valve. It blows air into the chisel ejection slot to blow out chips and cool the bit. Works well.

I took the handle off of the crank that adjusts the table in and out as every once in a while I would grab the wrong handle and mess with my setup. The wheel is still there but not the handle so to adjust it you just grab the wheel.

Larry

Todd Burch
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks Larry. That air mod sounds good. I've thought about doing this before. It slows you down a lot to blow out chips after each cut. Please do post pics when you have a few minutes.

Todd Burch
05-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Here's some pics: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187277-Snagged-a-Hollow-Chisel-Mortiser

Rick Fisher
05-31-2012, 2:11 PM
I have a dream that I find an older General 220 ? Canadian made mortiser really cheap .. lol

I think one of the members here has one ..

I have a generic brand " Cantek " floor model now, it works fine.. The biggest + for a mortiser IMO is an X-Y Table for adjustments.. I love that feature..