PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bill Wyko...A Very Large Turning From The Master...

Wally Dickerman
01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
This very large piece, turned by the late Ray Allen, was shown at the AAW symposium in Pasedena several years ago by Dale Nish. It shows that perfect form in a large segmented piece can be done.

The SW style vessel is 35 inches in dia. I examinned it and found every joint to be perfect.

Quite a few years ago, Ray Allen invited me to spend most of a day with him in his shop. I watched while he worked on a 22 inch piece. It was amazing how fast he worked with such precision. It was a treasured experience for me. Ray was the best.

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Wally that is a strange coincedence. That is actually the first segmented turning I ever saw in person, I think in 1998 or 99. Ray, as you know, lived here in AZ, he pulled up at woodworkers source in his old van and wanted to show Dick, the manager something in the back. Dick told me Come see this. He opened the doors and this very vessel was in the back. I was so blown away and it was so outside my comprehension. I asked if it was painted, he said it was wood. I asked if it was inlays he said nope, it's solid pieces of wood cut and glued together. I was in such a state of confusion and awe. I have to say I had never experienced such a state of mind before. Then years later I bought my first lathe, I think in 2005. I also imediately bought the book about him and his techniques. I turned one solid turning then started segmenting and lever looked back.
Ray passed away in 2000 I believe. I consider that experience to be a life changing moment I can pinpoint in my life. I'd even go as far to say a gift from God. I really appreciate you posting this so I can relive this wonderful memory with all of you. It was so incredible. Thanks again.
BTW That vessel has over 7000 pieces. I'm attempting one now with over 20,000 pieces. Wish me luck.

RIP Ray, God bless.

Wally, I'm in Tucson, stop in any time you're in town. It would be great to chat with you.

Bill White
01-30-2012, 1:13 PM
20,000? Good Lord man! How long will the build up take?
Bill

Jerry Wright
01-30-2012, 3:34 PM
My father (lifelong shop teacher) used to tell me that " if you know what good is, you can get there with persistence.". Bill has obviously known what good is, ever since he saw Ray Allen's work. No wonder he is willing to tackle a 20000 piece puzzle! That is also why his previous pieces are so remarkable.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-30-2012, 4:49 PM
Wally,

If I'm not mistaken, those are silent auction bid sheets to the left of Ray's vessel. This was one of the last pieces that Ray's family liquidated after his death. It was made available in a special auction at the 2003 Pasadena symposium (along with a couple of others) and Del Mano was the high bidder. I recall this piece very well because I had a very large piece of my own also on display in the Instant Gallery within a few feet of this. Again, if I recall correctly, Ray Leier paid about $12,000 for it (real steal).

Several years later, I was contacted by a collector who expressed interest in commissioning me to duplicate this piece. They wanted every thing identical, right down to the wood species, etc. The only thing that I was not asked to do was to sign Ray Allen's name on the the bottom. Of course I declined. I checked with Del Mano and they still had the piece in stock. I passed this info on, but I don't know if it was ever purchased.

My friendship with Ray only started in 1994, and it was way too short. All segmenters owe Ray a debt of gratitude for how he elevated "segmenting" for everyone.

For anyone really interested, Ray's friend, Bill Baumbeck has a very nice tribute to Ray Allen on his website at: http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Ray_Allen_Tribute.htm

David E Keller
01-30-2012, 5:04 PM
That's a beautiful piece! I'm sure it is technically wonderful, but I appreciate that the form is so nice as well! I'm probably more familiar with Malcolm's work since I'm recent to the turning world, but it's always a pleasure to see great works of art produced by great turners... Thanks for sharing, Wally!

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 7:16 PM
Thank you everyone , I'm honored to even be discussed in the same thread as him. I have to say, having known nothing about wood turning at the time, I had never been so amazed by anything in my life. To see something so beautiful and be told it was one man and his 2 hands, I realized I was in the presence of true greatness. A small man in coverals and in an old van probably impressed me more than Bill Gates ever could. I thank God for the moment in my life, a true butterfly effect.

Brian Effinger
01-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you everyone , I'm honored to even be discussed in the same thread as him. I have to say, having known nothing about wood turning at the time, I had never been so amazed by anything in my life. To see something so beautiful and be told it was one man and his 2 hands, I realized I was in the presence of true greatness. A small man in coverals and in an old van probably impressed me more than Bill Gates ever could. I thank God for the moment in my life, a true butterfly effect.
I, for one, am glad you had that epiphany, Bill.

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 11:22 PM
It really reminds me of my turning roots. I'm even more motivated to keep working on this monster I'm on. My biggest concern is going to be the swing on my lathe. I'm worried it'll be too big in diameter for my Jet 1442. I may have to get a machine shop to make me spacer blocks. My real goal though is to get an American Beauty asap.

BTW Malcolm, you are equally my other inspiration to build to such an extreme. I bought your book around the same time I bought Ray's book. Your book made me realize that not everything turned has to be round. The windows with the Indian blankets on Monsoon were inspired by your work. Thank you for the inspiration as well.