PDA

View Full Version : Jointer & knives: A rant and gloat in the same thread...

Robert Mayer
03-17-2005, 9:47 PM
Well I got my new jointer, picked it up for just $200. But it does need some tuning. When its running it has a vibrating sound like a pulley is loose. I think it just needs a new belt, anyone have any ideas?

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/8076Picture_001.jpg

Also I got 3 brand new knives installed perfectly level, but I didnt notice they must have gotten banged around at some time. They are leaving these nasty looking lines in the stock. I have a water stone but im not sure how these are supposed to be sharpened. Should I send them somewhere to be professionally sharpened or can I do it myself on the waterstone?

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/7717Picture_003.jpg

(i know, i know, i have carpet in part of my garage. its quite cozy in there when its cold and only needs a little vacuuming about once a month)

Tyler Howell
03-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Congrats Robert,

Maybe a segmented belt will take away some of the shakes

John Scane
03-17-2005, 10:21 PM
A link belt will get rid of a lot of vibration. I put one on my old jointer and it made a big difference.

Wes Bischel
03-18-2005, 1:09 AM
Ditto the congrats Robert. I have the same unit I picked up this summer. I have enjoyed it so far. Another possibility - check that the pulleys are coplanar (lined up). Also, make sure the base isn't racked (mine was) and the screws holding the panels are tight (mine weren't). A link belt wouldn't hurt either (though I'm running the original).
Not sure what to tell you about the knives. You might want to get them sharpened and then see what happens - or pick up a new set when Sears sends out one of their coupons. :D

Good luck,
Wes

Michael Cody
03-18-2005, 8:28 AM
Also I got 3 brand new knives installed perfectly level, but I did'nt notice they must have gotten banged around at some time. They are leaving these nasty looking lines in the stock. I have a water stone but I'm not sure how these are supposed to be sharpened. Should I send them somewhere to be professionally sharpened or can I do it myself on the waterstone?

You could probably move just one of the knives a little to the right or the left and that will take care of any nicks since the nicks will not be lined up.. but personally I suggest 2 sets of knives -- one for use and a spare to keep sharp and swap in while you send the others out to sharpening.

You can sharpen them by hand, but most folks like some kind of jig for repeatability .. hence I recommend a professional sharpening service normally. You could also get one of those on-machine honing jigs used to tweak a knife while it's still on the machine .. check out woodcraft:

Woodcraft Jointer Honing Stone (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=215)

Robert Mayer
03-18-2005, 8:33 AM
You could probably move just one of the knives a little to the right or the left and that will take care of any nicks since the nicks will not be lined up.. but personally I suggest 2 sets of knives -- one for use and a spare to keep sharp and swap in while you send the others out to sharpening.

You can sharpen them by hand, but most folks like some kind of jig for repeatability .. hence I recommend a professional sharpening service normally. You could also get one of those on-machine honing jigs used to tweak a knife while it's still on the machine .. check out woodcraft:

Woodcraft Jointer Honing Stone (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=215)

Im pondering just sending off both knives to a professional service while im not using the machine. Does that honing stone from woodcraft work that well? is it easy to use for newbies?

Jim Becker
03-18-2005, 8:38 AM
Robert, the honing stone can rejuvinate an edge slightly, but will not remove nicks...if that is a new machine, there is no way I'd accept knives with nicks! As to the vibration, I also ran a link belt on my Jet 6" when I owned it and it not only reduced vibration, but noticiably reduced noise...to a slighly lower roar! :p

Jeff Sudmeier
03-18-2005, 8:44 AM
With a jointer you really need all of the knives to be perfectly level with each other. I would hesitate to sharpen blades by hand because they would be very hard to all get exactly the same.

As Jim said, if this is a new machine, call up sears parts and ask for new blades, they should send some out.

Garry Smith
03-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Robert,
Take a look at this page on my site.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/JKnifeJig.htm
I had problems with jointer knifes in the past even when they have been reground. This jig and sharpening system will quickly get your jointer knives back to better than new condition .This is without a doubt been the best time I could have spent to improve my jointer results.

Garry

Robert Mayer
03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
The tool is used so I doubt I can warranty it. i think im going to give that jig a try, good idea. if it doesnt work well i found a couple places on the net that i can send them off to. luckily im not in a rush to use the machine.