PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need an OSS? (Ridgid)

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Ridgid OSS.
I have a $50.00 Home Depot card & my son can get 10% off at HD (Military discount).
I've only had a couple/few times one (OSS) would come in handy.

Is this something that once I have one, I'll wonder how I ever got by without it?
Kind of like my 23 ga pin nailer.
Or is it something like my biscuit joiner where I'll forever wonder why I bought it?

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Rich,

I certainly can't answer your question in terms of how much YOU will use it, but I use mine quite frequently. I've got it set up next to my bench w/ a 3M blue 120 belt on it most always. I find myself using it to smooth out template edges after band sawing, w/ a miter gauge for truing the ends of pen blanks, bringing small part edges "close to the line" before final hand sanding or planing, etc.

Ive had mine for probably about 8 years and it's still going strong - no maintenance at all, save for vacuuming once in a great while.

I've only used it as a spindle sander once in those 8 years ... (i.e. your biscuit joiner ... :D)

Russ Ambrose
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
i use mine quite a bit. like Jeff, i use the belt sander to smooth edges or get things close before final sanding/finishing. however, i use the spindle sander much more. i make/use MDF templates a fair amount. the templates are curved in various ways and after rough cutting a template at the band saw, i use the spindle sander to "get it close" to the line before finishing up with a rasp or sandpaper. a great tool IMO

Cary Falk
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
I found out that I used mine so much that I sold it and bought a full size OSS and 6x89 OES. ( I still use my biscuit joiner enough that I won't sell it, but I am somewhat of a tool hoarder):)

Jerome Hanby
01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I've had one on my list for quite a while. I know that I have instances where it would be handy all the time but I work around the "need" to avoid setting up teh Shopsmith in drill press mode and installing the sanding drum. I think if i had one setup and ready to go all the time, I'd probably use it every time I set foot int he shop. Of course, YMMV...

Larry Browning
01-30-2012, 1:41 PM
Rich,
I do not have an OSS but have wanted one for quite some time. The only thing I have to do this type of sanding with is my drill press with a sanding drum attached. I wish it had the oscillating feature because it clogs up very quickly, and I am forever changing it out with drill bits and the like. With all that said, You are about the only one who can answer your question. We can only tell you of our own experiences, which are different than yours. You will probably find just as many folks who only used theirs once as those who use theirs daily. The same goes for a biscuit joiner. I know for me I like mine and use it quite often, while I often forget that I even have a 23ga pin nailer. You should ask yourself: Do I often say to myself "Man if I just had an OSS, my life would be SO much better" Then chances are an OSS would be just the ticket.

Jerome Hanby
01-30-2012, 2:10 PM
Rich,
I do not have an OSS but have wanted one for quite some time. The only thing I have to do this type of sanding with is my drill press with a sanding drum attached. I wish it had the oscillating feature because it clogs up very quickly, and I am forever changing it out with drill bits and the like.

I saw that Shopsmith had a gadget to turn the drill press into an oscillating drum sander. Looked like a good way to wear out the drill press mode <g>. It also cost about $150 plus shipping. i think one of the Ridgid models can be picked up for not much more (if any) than that. Wonder who buys that thing.

Stephen Cherry
01-30-2012, 2:15 PM
Is this the combination belt/spindle machine? If you do anything with making patterns or templates, I would think that you absolutely need this.

Bill White
01-30-2012, 2:28 PM
Get your own 'cause you sure can't have mine. Best $199.00 I've spent in a long time. Just get good belts and drums.
Bill

Bill Huber
01-30-2012, 3:17 PM
To me it is one of those things I just don't know how I would so without. I use it all the time, the belt the most but I do use the spindle some of the time.
For the money it is one of the cheapest power tools you will buy and get your moneys worth out of it.

Rick Potter
01-30-2012, 3:17 PM
Ditto to Cary's post,

I have had a Delta BOSS for several years and love it. I use it quite often. Great for anything with convex curves, like corbels. I liked it so much that I just found a good deal, and upgraded to a floor model Jet OSS, and will be letting the BOSS go soon.

I also picked up a Delta oscillating belt edge sander, and now I hardly use my 6" belt/12" disc setup.

I think you will like the belt edge sander on the Rigid too, My brother has one and likes it.

Rick Potter

glenn bradley
01-30-2012, 3:37 PM
I bought the Ridgid because I thought I needed an OSS. I originally made room for it in a cabinet for when it was not in use. I ended up using it so much I built a stand for it. I found out I really needed an oscillating belt and just recently upgraded that tool. The Ridgid will still get plenty of use even with the larger machine nearby. For a couple hundred bucks, it is still a 40lb heavyweight; nothing much competes with it.

Jerome Hanby
01-30-2012, 3:49 PM
I've had a Grizzly floor model OSS on my Amazon wish list for a couple of years now <g>

Ditto to Cary's post,

I liked it so much that I just found a good deal, and upgraded to a floor model Jet OSS,.

Rick Potter

Rob Holcomb
01-30-2012, 5:10 PM
I agree with everyone else on this topic. One of the best purchases I've made. I use it all the time. It's my go to tool after the band saw when making cutting boards of various shapes.

Brent Ring
01-30-2012, 6:13 PM
I agree with all positive posts as well. I love mine. It's one of the most useful tools in the shop!

Neil Brooks
01-30-2012, 6:59 PM
Add my name to the list of "Now HOW'D I ever live without this thing" users ;)

Joseph Tarantino
01-30-2012, 8:30 PM
FWIW. if a receipt would help i have those also.

John Hays
01-30-2012, 8:54 PM
+1 for the "use it all the time" camp!

It really depends on the type of work you do. I make a lot of small and detailed items, so an OSS saves me from going to the bench grinder or setting up a drum on the drill press. I'll also say that it's a must-have for prototyping.

But, if you don't need to round off a lot of corners, sand a bunch of convex & concave curves or remove superglue from your fingertips all the time, then skip it.

Mark Burnette
01-30-2012, 9:07 PM
Such deals are for other people...I never get that lucky.

Don Bullock
01-30-2012, 9:34 PM
I agree with everyone else on this topic. One of the best purchases I've made. I use it all the time. It's my go to tool after the band saw when making cutting boards of various shapes.

I agree with Rob and think Glenn has a great idea. Mine needs a dedicated stand. It's a very well made machine and I find it very easy to switch between belt and spindle on the same project. I also like the storage for the belt, spindles, etc. right on the machine.

Glenn, would you please show some pictures of your stand?

Brian Effinger
01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
This is like the pin nailer you mentioned Rich. I don't need it all that often (I'm in the spinning vortex mostly), but when I do, it is great to have. Especially the oscillating belt.
I use it for some of the things others have mentioned, and for $199 it works perfectly. I haven't regretted it one bit.

Bill Huber
01-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I agree with Rob and think Glenn has a great idea. Mine needs a dedicated stand. It's a very well made machine and I find it very easy to switch between belt and spindle on the same project. I also like the storage for the belt, spindles, etc. right on the machine.

Glenn, would you please show some pictures of your stand?

I am not Glenn but I will show you my stand, it is set up so I can put it under the bench and still stand up when using it.

Wrong thread, oh well...

keith micinski
01-30-2012, 11:08 PM
I guess I'll be that one guy that always has to be different. Mine is a big waste of space. I really don't do much work with curves though so I am sure that factors in. I will say its not as easy to use as I thought it would be either. It sometimes wants to grab and leave ripples on inside curves. I recently used it to clean some small radius's up and it did do a really good job but still would rather have the space and money back if I could do it over.

Van Huskey
01-30-2012, 11:18 PM
I found out that I used mine so much that I sold it and bought a full size OSS and 6x89 OES. ( I still use my biscuit joiner enough that I won't sell it, but I am somewhat of a tool hoarder):)

So true, so very true.

Rick Thom
01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
i like and use mine a lot. Didn't notice anyone commenting on it's great dust collection system, which is important. My Ridgid 6 hp shop vac works extremely well with the sander. The one sanding job that it doesn't excel at is precise perpendicular sanding because the belt on the edge sander isn't quite tight enough. It's easily solved by adding a stand-alone disk sander for that function.

Lori Kleinberg
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I am another fan of the Rigid sander. I also agree with Don, I use the spindles more then the belt. Changing over is very easy.

Rick Thom
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
I guess I'll be that one guy that always has to be different. Mine is a big waste of space. I really don't do much work with curves though so I am sure that factors in. I will say its not as easy to use as I thought it would be either. It sometimes wants to grab and leave ripples on inside curves. I recently used it to clean some small radius's up and it did do a really good job but still would rather have the space and money back if I could do it over.
Keith, if you don't have a use for it, stick yours in the Swap Meet at a fair price and I'm sure it won't be there for long.

Rick Potter
01-31-2012, 3:54 AM
Jerome,

That floor model has been on my CL wish list for a while too. They don't come up very often. I just picked up the Jet a few weeks ago for $450, with all 10 spindles and about 15 spare drums.

Rick Potter

Kevin W Johnson
01-31-2012, 4:03 AM

When did you buy yours for that price?

I stare at that thing everytime I go in HD.....

Rich Engelhardt
01-31-2012, 6:21 AM
I guess y'all convinced me! :)

I have to go to HD today to pick up some supplies so I guess an OSS is going to find it's way into my cart.

Rick Thom
01-31-2012, 6:21 AM
Jerome,..... with all 10 spindles and about 15 spare drums.Rick PotterRick, if you aren't aware, a periodic touch-up of the sanding belts and spindle aggregate with a crepe block hugely improves cutting ability and extends their life considerably by cleaning off the sawdust. Well worth the $5-10. Here's an example http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20192&cat=1,42500.

Joseph Tarantino
01-31-2012, 1:12 PM
When did you buy yours for that price?

I stare at that thing everytime I go in HD.....

i bought these on the date shown. the one i got for $39 was an open box, but everthing was there. i bought mine 7-8 years ago for $99 during the emerson/OWT changeover (mine is a gray MIA unit). wonder if they'll refund the differnence now?

Kevin W Johnson
01-31-2012, 3:11 PM
i bought these on the date shown. the one i got for $39 was an open box, but everthing was there. i bought mine 7-8 years ago for $99 during the emerson/OWT changeover (mine is a gray MIA unit). wonder if they'll refund the differnence now?

I'd sure love to find them for that price. I was just in there today and they are still regular price.

Rich Engelhardt
01-31-2012, 3:33 PM
I had to pay $199 minus 10% military discount & the $50 gift card.
No doubt the price will drop to $49.00 tomorrow or the next day...

Rick Potter
01-31-2012, 6:45 PM
Rich,

Your'e gonna love it.

Rick,

Right you are. I have several of these cleaning sticks, I even used an old crepe sole shoe for a while, before I discovered them. It worked ok, but stunk:confused:.

Now for a tip from Captain Obvious: Since most sanding can be done with the lower portion of the drum, turn them over for double the life. You can also cut off an inch from each end when both ends are worn/clogged, put the center 2" on the bottom, and the two 1" sections on the top, and get 3 (clap), 3 times the wear when you are only using 3/4" stock.

Rick Potter
cheapskate

Kurt Cady
01-31-2012, 9:57 PM
I got one for Xmas. However, the first one had a crown at the center of the drop down table. So did the second one. Anyone else have this problem?

The crown creates a lip right next to the spindle. Each crown was probably 1/32" to 1/16"