PDA

View Full Version : question for new Unisaw owners

Russ Ambrose
01-30-2012, 11:21 AM
is the mobile base that Delta sells for the new Unisaw (model 50-257) worth the very high price? i doubt that i'll be moving my saw around much (if at all), but a mobile base might be nice just in case. but i'm not going to spend $300 for a mobile base unless it's really substantial. the reason i ask is that i recently saw a post on another site where the guy asserted that the Delta base was a little weak and required some do-it-yourself beefing up because it tended to sag in spots. he might have been referring to a previous version. i don't know. i've also read some folks say that the Delta base was really the only way to go WRT to new Unisaw....any thoughts or insights are greatly appreciated. thanks

Doug Colombo
01-30-2012, 6:07 PM
I have the Delta mobile base on my new Unisaw and it is anything but weak. The base is very substantial and works extremely well, including supporting the extension wing for the 52" fence. The base comes in one piece (welded), both the unit under the saw and the extension table support. Only assembly is installing the lift mech, wheels, and attaching the extension table leg clamps. I didn't pay anywhere near $300 for the base - I bought it locally when I bought my saw. I believe they were selling them for around $160. I would highly recommend getting the Delta mobile base over any aftermarket unit if you are going to purchase one. Far beats any aftermarket unit that I have seen.

Russ Ambrose
01-30-2012, 6:17 PM
thanks for the info...i'm assuming that it will be much easier to put the saw on the base from the outset rather than down the road. so, maybe it's worth getting one just in case i need it. the Woodcraft store (where i'll be getting the saw) sells the base for $329, but i've since found much better prices online (i've found one site selling it for $219.99). i'll see if Woodcraft can match it, otherwise i'll order it online. thanks again.

Bruce Page
01-30-2012, 7:07 PM
Russ, I have an older (1998) 52” Unisaw and Delta MB. I think I paid about $220 for the base. Like you, I don’t move it very often but the Delta MB works great when I need to.