PDA

View Full Version : 14" Burled Oak Vase

Ken Glass
01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Hey All,
Here is a Burled Oak Vase I have been working on for ages. It seemed solid, but the interior was punky in a few areas and tough as nails in others. I broke two extensions to my Articulating hollowing rig, trying to go so deep in a 14-1/2" tall Vase. ( I know, much to deep for it). It measures 5-3/4" in diameter at the widest, 2" at the bottom and as stated is 14-1/2" tall. Its hollowed to from 1/8" to as much as 5/16". After I roughed it, soaked it and dried it for about 4 weeks, I must have mounted it on the lathe at least six different times. I would hollow and then fearing explosion, I would stop till courage came back. LOL. It has to be my most challenging piece in a couple years. So far, it is finished in several coats of Pre-cat Lacquer, but in a few weeks after drying completely, I will buff it also. I have several pieces of this Burled Oak I purchased, as it was part of a huge burled section that was 5' across by 6' long from a White Oak tree. I Hope you like it and of course, comments are always welcome.

Harvey Ghesser
01-30-2012, 11:15 AM
That is a beauty, Ken! Talk about sanding air!

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 11:31 AM
WOW, Ken!! That scares me half to death, after just getting set up with my articulated hollower, I don't have the knads to go that deep:eek::D. Seriously though, that's a really nice looking hunk of oak and the form is great, thanks for sharing.

David E Keller
01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Nice work, Ken! Sounds like it was expensive to complete with the broken parts, but you've ended up with a great looking piece!

Ken Glass
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks all. . Doc, after the breakage, I went to my friends machine shop and he fashioned a 12" long extension out of 3/4" steel and a couple 6" extensions with wider ends to better achieve a deeper hollowing. I should just spring for the Monster Guided Hollowing Rig, but I haven't yet. Due to the NE on this vase I was 15" out over the rest near the bottom, which causes an extreme amount of chatter, which , I'm sure is what broke things in the first place.

Baxter Smith
01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Great vase Ken! 15" must have been a struggle for sure! You have got something wonderful to show for it though!

Brian Effinger
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow, that is a special piece, Ken. Definitely worth the time and angst. :)

Bill Bolen
01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Your hard work certainly paid off Ken. A beautiful piece for sure. I don't know if I would have had the nerve to go back at it after breaking the first extension and certainly not after breaking the second! You've got nerves of steel and a lot in the gumption department. Well done sir!

Harry Robinette
01-30-2012, 3:39 PM
It's very beautiful and you did an outstanding job of turning. Now sit down and quit shaking it's over think calm.

Donny Lawson
01-30-2012, 4:04 PM
That is a beautiful piece. I know it all paid off in the end though.

Dan Forman
01-30-2012, 4:42 PM
I'm not often a fan of gnarly turnings, but I do like this one!

Dan

John W Dixon
01-30-2012, 8:42 PM
Wow Ken that is a gorgeous piece, very well done!

Ken Glass
01-30-2012, 9:34 PM
Thanks, John. I think its going to the Gallery, so stop by and take a close look, but not too close. LOL

John Keeton
01-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Ken, that certainly had to have been challenging, and I can understand the apprehension. But, well worth the multiple starts with it.

Michelle Rich
01-31-2012, 6:44 AM
truly it appears to have been a challenge..but it turned into an astoundingly beautiful vessel. congrats on your patience & skill.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2012, 7:39 AM
Now that's a vase! Beautiful work - well worth the effort and frustrations! I hope it sells for BIG bucks!

Dennis Ford
01-31-2012, 7:44 AM
It has all been said before, this is a great piece. I am amazed that you hollowed that deep with that type of tooling, great patience.

Steve Vaughan
01-31-2012, 8:42 AM
What a beautiful piece! I can't believe you got the walls down to 1/8" but can sure see why so many trips to the lathe. Wonderful color and shape.

Ken Glass
01-31-2012, 9:56 AM
Steve,
Most of the wall areas are more like 5/16". It was hard as a rock in some areas and punky in others, so the inside looks OK , but if you put a thickness gauge inside it wouldn't be consistent all the way from top to bottom.