PDA

View Full Version : Check out my legs :)

Rob Price
01-30-2012, 10:02 AM
So this is the reason I ended up buying a lathe. I had played with the idea for about a year but kept putting it off. When I decided to make and end table to match an entertainment center I just finished, I decided I wanted round legs. It will have a 1" granite top, so I wanted a big, heavy table to support it, and 3" square legs just didn't look right. Of course now that I have the lathe I started working on pens, and pepper mills, and trying a few bowls before I finished these. I know you guys/gals are primarily bowl and HF people, so I apologize for posting spindle work ;)

I made a prototype out of poplar to practice turning, and to practice my M&T joints, also a first for me.

Poplar prototype. The poplar I had was a few inches short, so the practice mortise goes through the top, but otherwise it's a full size leg, 3" square, 22" long:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2dV_3OK9nsk/Tyaf4Ew0hiI/AAAAAAAABlQ/xcYOlGVlDBA/s640/photo.JPG

Here's my duplicating setup. The prototype sits on a shelf behind the lathe. The full scale drawing from Sketchup sits above it. I mounted it to some hardboard so I could carry it around the shop. It was helpful setting up jigs/etc for the joinery as well. It has the dimensions on it, but since it's to scale I usually just set my calipers on the drawing.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7BcUt737pfc/TyagI3L3VCI/AAAAAAAABlY/zov76iF85ng/s640/photo.JPG

4 legs. The second from the left real leg was my first, and the bead above the bottom pummel ended up more pointy than I like, but not enough to scrap the piece. You can't tell as much when looking down at it like you would when it's put together. I also blew out the corner on the top pummel. Got interrupted while setting up the lathe and didn't realize the tool rest wasn't secure (Doh!) Of course it was the outside edge that blew out. fortunately I found the piece and glued it back on. After final sanding you can't tell it happened. I learned not to grab the piece by the pummel when slowing it down to take a look. Between the pummel and the tool rest, my thumb lost the battle (nothing but a bruise fortunately). I also now refer to the pummels as knuckle busters, esp when sanding around them:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cDolmbnl_uw/TyagYcZWm-I/AAAAAAAABlg/CC5sAPz4igY/s640/photo.JPG

Full project pics to follow (hopefully this week) in the projects forum. Comments/criticism welcome.

On to bowls...

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Rob, you've got purdy legs! :D Looks like you got a great project going. Looks like African mahogany? What's your finish gonna be?

Rob Price
01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Correct on the wood. I'm matching a wall to wall entertainment center. The finish is a coat of BLO (Adds depth and keeps it from absorbing too much stain), then General Finishes Java gel stain, left in the corners to give it an 'old' look, and then Deft Lacquer (I thin the wiping lacquer and spray it with my cheapo HVLP).

Here's the final look:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TrCJgoTciD4/ThJz0cbmRDI/AAAAAAAABas/cdHHY2V8Wfk/s640/IMG_9775.jpg

Allan Ferguson
01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Nothing wrong with spindle work. Legs looking good.

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Very, very nice!

Brian Effinger
01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
http://youtu.be/wbUpGoOjFWw

:D :D :D
Serioulsy though, nice legs. They look very well matched, and cleanly cut.
You should be careful though - this is how that John Keeton guy started out. "Just going to make some legs", "just going to use the lathe to suppliment my flat work". Hehehehehe :D Two years later, he's on his third lathe (a big Jet 1642) and I'd bet he hasn't touched a hand plane in a year! :D

Harvey Ghesser
01-30-2012, 10:39 AM
You do beautiful work, Rob!

That being said, I recall a similar statement by one John Keeton and I paraphrase...."I just wanted to make some legs for a table".

Welcome to the vortex. Can't wait to see your next!

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
They look to be very well matched and a quality job at that. Great job!

John Keeton
01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
[You should be careful though - this is how that John Keeton guy started out. "Just going to make some legs", "just going to use the lathe to suppliment my flat work". Hehehehehe :D Two years later, he's on his third lathe (a big Jet 1642) and I'd bet he hasn't touched a hand plane in a year! :D

That being said, I recall a similar statement by one John Keeton and I paraphrase...."I just wanted to make some legs for a table".I remember it well.......!!!!!:D Brian, for your information, I use a hand plane all the time - to flatten a spot on blanks for my waste block!!!;)

Rob, you have done a great job on the legs, and the entertainment center looks fantastic!! Beautiful finish.

Robert McGowen
01-30-2012, 11:11 AM
That entertainment center is way above my skill level. It looks like the table will be a nice addition.

Roger Chandler
01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Nothing better than combining turning with flat work in my mind........I love them both, so it is the best of both vortexes. Good job on the legs and the entertainment center is really nice as well..........love the curl in that wood............makes for a stunning look!

Rob Price
01-30-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Keeton (had to clean out my PMs, so not sure) who helped me out with some walnut finishing questions a few years ago- after admiring some of his amazing flatwork. Maybe that's the unconscious pull that lured me into the vortex... and after turning on my buddy's PM 4224 I've briefly drooled over getting a bigger machine... maybe in a couple of years...

EDIT: Roger, I think we simulposted- the Mahogany panels I used for those doors ended up being quatersawn (didn't ask for it, but didn't return it eaither!) and the grain just pops. I made some bathroom cabinets out of the same panels, and just sprayed lacquer on them, no stain, and the grain really speaks for itself.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rcxb9y00TzM/ThJ3AQo2TwI/AAAAAAAABbI/HbrmHoCyY3k/s640/IMG_9804.JPG

David E Keller
01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Nicely done and no apologies needed for spindle posts... I love seeing them. The fact that most of us(even Keeton) have converted our table saws to turning related open storage explains the relative paucity of turned legs on the forum. The other reason is best explained with a drug analogy(I think appropriate)... Any drug that gets you high rapidly will beat out a drug that takes weeks/months to kick in!

Dan Forman
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
That's one fine set of legs mister! I bet the table will look just grand.

Dan

Baxter Smith
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Nice work! They look great! I haven't given up hope on someday making something useful again. No plans anytime soon though!

Pete Jordan
01-30-2012, 5:10 PM
Nice Gams!

Rob Price
01-30-2012, 5:11 PM
Glued up. https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9E5fkp4dgIw/TycE0xtBLGI/AAAAAAAABmU/N2It1m1zX9o/s640/photo.JPG