PDA

View Full Version : Check out this lathe..........especially the motor!!!

Roger Chandler
01-30-2012, 7:13 AM
Check this out............especially the "motor" and what a great toolrest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6JV8TgmxjQA

Cory Norgart
01-30-2012, 7:22 AM
Ummm?? How do you respond to something like that:eek: That is cool, I would hate to be the motor tho. Cool find Roger, thanks for sharing..

Russell Eaton
01-30-2012, 7:49 AM
like the lathe, +1 on the motor. It would be a good workout.

Steve Vaughan
01-30-2012, 8:34 AM
Love that! At least the motor is variable speed!

James Combs
01-30-2012, 8:42 AM
I would like to have seen the "motor data plate". I am wondering what the HP ratting is.:eek:

Dan Hintz
01-30-2012, 9:01 AM
Seems like it would be easier to turn if the motor was on the other side of the bed and turning in the other direction. Too much pushing going on, not enough pulling.

Bob Bergstrom
01-30-2012, 9:02 AM
You talk about a "slow start" feature on a motor that sure is one. If that kid keeps that up he is going to be one strong man.

Todd Bin
01-30-2012, 9:14 AM
Need to get that guy a bicycle and hook it up. No one commented on the size of the thing the guy was turning. Wow that is huge. You think it will be a hollow form. :) May have to reposition the motor to get the hollowing rig in place.

Rob Price
01-30-2012, 9:23 AM
I'm thinking you would crawl inside, sit on a skateboard, and hollow from inside? :)

Curt Fuller
01-30-2012, 9:53 AM
That's a great idea. I'm thinking of building one that can be powered by a treadmill, eliptical bike, or some of the other exercise equipment at the gym and then charging people 50 bucks a month to come and run it for me.

David Gilbert
01-30-2012, 10:21 AM
What I want to see is the hollowing jig this guy was going to use!

Cheers,
David

Brian Effinger
01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Who needs a motor when you've got kids! :D You need several, though - when one gets tired, you swap him out for a fresh one.
I like his tool rest, but I think it might limit his forms.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Now that is wood TURNING......

Chris Studley
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Seemed to have scaled everything up but the Chisel, what is that a 3/8" bowl Gouge? :eek:

as far as the hollowing, I would guess that since this is a segmented piece, he hollowed it as he assembled it, ring by ring? Although i like the scateboarding idea.

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Where there's a will........ He needs to get himself a 4" gouge, really give that kid a workout:D Thanks Roger, very cool!

Dan Forman
01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
That's one way to keep the kids out of trouble.

Dan

Baxter Smith
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Pretty neat. Reminds me of the big grindstone I used to turn for my grandfather when he would sharpen his axes. I still have it and always thought I would someday build a treadle stand!

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Quite a feat for sure. That kid is going to have arms the size of cannons. I bet no one in school messes with him. I betting when dad is at the breakfast table and says "Today we're making table legs" The kid jumps for joy.

Dan Hintz
01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
I betting when dad is at the breakfast table and says "Today we're making table legs... for the Jolly Green Giant!" The kid pukes.

Bill White
01-30-2012, 1:05 PM
I got tired just watching.
Bill

Jack Mincey
01-30-2012, 4:18 PM
That lathe needs to be set up in a health club so that he can charge people to be the motor. They pay for working on all the other stuff so why not this to.
Jack

Jon Nuckles
02-01-2012, 1:37 PM
Pretty soon the kid will be strong enough to make dad switch places once in a while!

ray hampton
02-01-2012, 7:41 PM
WHO made this statement " give me a long lever and I will move the earth ?
the kid could turn the lathe easier if the crank was longer

Dan Hintz
02-02-2012, 6:15 AM
the kid could turn the lathe easier if the crank was longer
Unlikely... he would have to move/extend his body quite a bit more than he currently is, which means a loss of overall power and probably wear out more quickly.

Russell Neyman
02-02-2012, 1:48 PM
What cracked me up was the size of the bowl gouge compared to the enormity of the turning, too. I mean, could it have been any smaller? Does he sand it later? And what does one do with something like this---? Is it a pedestal for a statue? There's no way it could be hollowed except for simply carving it out with a hammer and chisel.

Jim Underwood
02-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I dunno... that thing kinda scared me. Looks like the drive crank was fixed. If you got hung up in that thing, it'd hurt you pretty bad with that much mass spinning. Seems to me you could fix that drive mechanism with some pulleys, belts, and a free wheeling device and make it a lot easier, faster, and safer...

As for the size of the gouge, I've noticed even with my 2HP motor that I can remove material quicker with a smaller gouge because it just bites into the wood easier, and doesn't grab and bounce like a larger gouge.

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 12:43 PM
What I think is funny is the entire time he is cranking the kid is staring at an electric motor, maybe thinking "next time dad forgets to pay the power bill I am so running away from home".