PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the Verizon Fios multi room DVR?

dennis thompson
01-30-2012, 6:40 AM
I'm thinking of getting the Verizon Fios multi room DVR. Does anyone have any experience/comments on it? Any other similar products I might look at?
Thanks
Dennis

Dan Hintz
01-30-2012, 6:58 AM
I added it to my bill a month or two ago. It's convenient to watch whatever you want from any room, but reaction time to the remote is noticeably slower, so be prepared.

Brian Effinger
01-30-2012, 9:50 AM
I've had it for a couple of years now, and I can echo what Dan said. I had dish network for several years before that, and their dvr was faster at remote locations.

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I have it for more then two years. Like it. Telling the truth, I don't have problem with remote. Maybe little bit slow but not that make me unhappy.
Ed.

Ron Natalie
01-30-2012, 3:21 PM
I agree with Ed. The thing isn't as responsive when you're using it from the remote TV as it is when you're sitting in front of the set with the DVR, things just don't work reliably other than pause and play. The 30 second jump buttons I use to skip over the commercials don't work. Unlike the DirectV boxes, it doesn't remember your place when you swithc from room to room.

John Shuk
01-31-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree with Ed. The thing isn't as responsive when you're using it from the remote TV as it is when you're sitting in front of the set with the DVR, things just don't work reliably other than pause and play. The 30 second jump buttons I use to skip over the commercials don't work. Unlike the DirectV boxes, it doesn't remember your place when you swithc from room to room.
You will see a big difference in function when the new Interactive Media Guide downloads as well as more functions available at the remote STB locations. The release date for your area will vary. My area was just recently updated. Chaptering of content is one improvement.

Greg Portland
01-31-2012, 1:13 PM
An alternative is a system like the BOCS xtender where you place all your video sources in 1 location and can control them remotely from any TV. BOCS allows you to encode and view 3 separate streams (i.e. wife is on cable box #1, you're on cable box #2, kids are on #3). There are similar HD systems but they are $500+ (ZeeVee, etc.) and offer less streams. You'll need a coax drop @ each viewing position (i.e. it doesn't run over Cat5/6).

Ron Natalie
01-31-2012, 1:31 PM
I have the new guides which roundly suck poorly. I can switch now between several slow and useless presentations rather than the two that were there before.
Specifically annoying is that if you push the FAVORITES button, it switches the state of any subsequent pushes of the GUIDE button to the favorites mode and you have to manually call up a menu to switch it back.

In addition, they trippled the amount of time the INFO box stays on the screen when you switch channels as well as making it now consume half the screeen.
I do not find the latest software update an improvement at all.

Dan Hintz
01-31-2012, 1:40 PM
I hate seeing them advertise stuff on the screen... like the "History Channel" icon that shows up on the top middle of my screen, and you have to press "OK" to get it to go away. Why am I paying them to shove advertising of other channels down my throat? If I wanted to watch the History Channel, I'd turn it on!

Jim Becker
02-02-2012, 9:09 PM
Yes, for some time now. Works great, especially with the v1.9 load of code and the 72xx series boxes. It's true that the remote is not as snappy on a satellite box, but with the newest boxes and latest code, it's not bad at all.

As far as "other products", if you're a FiOS customer, your options are the FiOS equipment or TiVO...and the latter still requires cable cards.

dennis thompson
02-03-2012, 6:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the multi room DVR. It comes with a three month free trial, so if I don't like it, I can send it back.
It is "self install" I hope it's easier than the dvd/vcr I just installed which took a call to Toshiba (maker of the dvd/vcr) Panasonic (maker of the TV) & Verizon (provider of the cable service). I will say the Verizon guy was very knowledgeable & quickly showed me how to hook it up in several ways. The Panasonic & Toshiba people, were very nice & tried to be helpful, but were not nearly as knowledgeable.
Dennis

Russ Filtz
02-04-2012, 2:00 PM
The only thing I didn't like was the limitation on number of shows you can record at once. I have two regular HD-DVRs even though it is slightly more expensive. I can record 2 shows on each unit simultaneously. With the multi I think you are limited to 2 or 3 total. Plus I think the total record time with two is higher? Sure I can't watch shows between the two DVRs, but I pretty much rule the main TV and the wife gets the bedroom one.

Jim Becker
02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Dennis, the "multi-room" DVR is really just a software option on the "regular" DVR. If you discontinue the FiOS Multi-room feature, you'll still be using that same box.