PDA

View Full Version : Where to draw the line? Grizzly 17", Rikon 18", Grizzly 19"??

Rick Cicciarelli
01-29-2012, 11:49 PM
What are the "quality of build" issues I have to consider between these three bandsaws because the specs seem to just step up in each machine (i.e. 2hp motor in the 17" Grizzly, 2.5 hp motor in the 18" Rikon, 3 hp motor in the 19" Grizzly). The fence on the Grizzlys look nicer, but otherwise, are there build quality issues or any details that make one really stand out above the others? I was originally planning on the 17" just due to space and financial restrictions (you have to draw the line somewhere), but I was interested to hear input on Rikon vs Grizzly.

Van Huskey
01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Build quality is very similar and CS seems to be good from both companies. Since you didn't mention a specific Grizzly but with the Grizzly 513/514 series there tend to be some that are better values than others in the line. Can you be more specific?

I suggest you draw the line where you budget draws the line, giving some consideration to value within the lines. If budget permits you may want to look at the Hammer N4400, the next big jump in quality, or I would be remiss in mentioning the Italian saws Minimax, Agazzani and Laguna which are another big jump in quality and then there is used...

The bottom line is what do you plan to do with the saw and what is your realistic budget?

Fred Belknap
01-30-2012, 9:37 AM
I see you mentioned space, I recently bought the Griz 513xfb 17" and I had to move it pretty far away from the wall to allow for the doors to open all the way when changing blades. It is a great saw and it wasn't a problem with me but it could be in certain spaces. Good luck with your choice, fun ain't it.

Stan Mitchell
01-30-2012, 9:40 AM
I think you're in the "flip-a-coin" area of bandsaws. All the saws you mention offer a lot of value for the budget minded woodworker and are a huge step-up from the traditional 14" saw in a number areas in my opinion, but especially capacity.

I happen to have the 513X2 and feel it's a terrific saw - nice big table, good fence, easy to adjust everything, and not finicky at all. Once dialed-in, you can just turn it on and saw away - no fooling around adjusting this and that as you go.

Don't under appreciate saws in the 2-3hp range. Even at 2hp, that's a lot more power than most 14" saws, and 2hp is capable of doing nearly everything the non-pro woodworker will want to do.

None of the saws you mention are perfect, but they're pretty nice saws anyway. Good luck.

Rick Alexander
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I see you mentioned space, I recently bought the Griz 513xfb 17" and I had to move it pretty far away from the wall to allow for the doors to open all the way when changing blades. It is a great saw and it wasn't a problem with me but it could be in certain spaces. Good luck with your choice, fun ain't it.

Does not your doors lift off when you open them. I have the 514 and mine do. Mine is within 8-10 inches of the wall and I don't have to move it a bit.

I'm one of those that figure a little extra HP might help the motor to last a little longer if you do a lot of resawing. I've actually resawed 12 inch QS white oak with mine and it sure didn't mind the job one bit with the 3 HP. I haven't used the 17 inch but I bet it would do the job just fine.

glenn bradley
01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
I see you mentioned space, I recently bought the Griz 513xfb 17" and I had to move it pretty far away from the wall to allow for the doors to open all the way when changing blades.

Fred, my G0513X is only about 8" from the wall. I open the doors to about 95* and lift them off; very quick and easy. I change blades frequently in my use of the saw and this has proven no hardship at all.

As to the OP, I would not want any less power than my 2HP (although it is a real pleasure to use) and would welcome another pony.

Cary Falk
01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
My budget made me stop athe G0513X2. I would have loved to get a G0513X2 but that is probably more saw than I need. I am very happy with my G0513X2 and all of my Grizzly tools for that matter.

Andrew Joiner
01-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Can you can pick up and examine the saw locally? That may make the decision easier.

I had a Rikon 18'' 4 years ago. I picked it up from a Woodcraft 2 hours away. After replacing 2 parts it still had a major issue. Rikon recommended I pull and replace the wheel bearings next ! I think I got a lemon. Rikon was great about getting me parts, but I was tired of rebuilding a new saw. Woodcraft was great on giving me my money back, but it was a heavy saw to move.

I have a Grizzly 21" 5hp now. Great saw out of the crate. Superior to the Rikon in build quality. The motor was replaced by Grizzly under warranty after 10 months of light use. 2 years later it runs strong. Re-installing the motor was about 1/2 the labor I'd had into Rikon and the Rikon still needed more.

Bandsaws have lots of parts that need to work/line-up well together. A table saw not so much.
Also to even test a bandsaw's resaw performance you may need an expensive non- returnable blade.

I think it comes down to ease of returning a saw that might be a "lemon"

Jeff Duncan
01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
I like to round up, so I say get yourself a nice used Delta 20" and have fun worth it;)

good luck,
JeffD

Stephen Cherry
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I vote for a used Italian saw as a lifetime investment. Here is one example:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/tls/2798378882.html

I think that one common misconception is that a new machine will be set up and trouble free, but I a solid used machine is more likely to be dialed in. Plus, you will likely get a bunch of blades. One other saw to look out for is a Bridgewood PBS540. I've seen this saw for 1000 dollars, It's about 20" and made in Italy as well. They come up for sale on craigslist occaisionally. I've got an aggazani, and it has worked just fine for me. It basically cuts whatever is put in front of the blade- no funny stuff.

Personally, I would just try to resist buying an Asian import just because it is convenient. Good Italian saws come up for sale used at good prices that to me seem like the only way to go. All my opinion though,

Paul Johnstone
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the griz 19" and Rikon 18" are closer than you think.
The Rikon's wheels are 18 3/8". The Griz wheels are 18 5/8"

There was a comparison on another website from someone who owned both, and he prefered the Rikon, for what
it's worth. Too bad I can't link it here.

Andrew Joiner
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree Jeff and Stephen, if you live near big city, look at used. I'm 4 hours round trip from Portland Oregon. Not much comes up used there. If it did, tuning up or rebuilding a used saw could get expensive and time consuming. Then there's getting parts to consider. I went that route when I was in a big city 35 years ago.

Sure on Asian saws you might have to do a bit of tweaking, but the parts come shipped under warranty. I'm happy with with my Grizzly. It saws as good as my old USA made saw.

Guy Belleman
01-31-2012, 1:44 PM
Those 3 saws are very similar, suspiciously so. That said, I have the 17" G0513X and love it. Not a single problem right out of the crate. I am also limited on space, so I put it on wheels, which allows me to move it around for ease of use and larger pieces. I purchased the 0513X before getting 220V outlets installed, but the saw is easily wired for 110V (in the instruction manual) and the saw worked great, even sawing up to 8-10" oak beams into slabs. After having a smaller bandsaw for years, I would never go back anything smaller or less capable. I sure like those little windows that these three models have for setting the tension and monitoring blade tracking, and the quick blade tension release is icing on the cake. Good luck on your choice.

Stephen Cherry
01-31-2012, 5:43 PM
I agree Jeff and Stephen, if you live near big city, look at used..

I live in Maryland, and bought my saw from a man in North Carolina. It's pretty far, took some gas and coffee, but a day or two later and I was recovered, and had a saw that will probably do fine for me for any use I can imagine.

I really do not mind going pretty far to get a nice machine.