PDA

View Full Version : A change in finial

Jeff Fagen
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
I posted a photo of this spalted hackberry lidded box with finial earlier in the week but was not happy with the butternut finial so I cut it down smaller.I wasn't happy with that either so I changed it to a painted black maple finial nearly the same size as the first.See what you think.Finish is BLO and many coats of WOP sanded with 600 between coats.

I've added another photo at a lower angle to hopefully give a better idea of the finial size.

John Keeton
01-30-2012, 7:16 AM
Jeff, I think the black is a marked improvement, as is eliminating the beads at the base. The angle of the pics makes the finial look much larger than it apparently is in looking at the pic with the lid off. It probably would provide a better perspective on scale with more of a side view and not so much "top down" view. Just a thought!

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2012, 7:29 AM
I agree with John on both counts... the black coloring works better and the angle of the photos distort the size of everything. I guess the important questions is whether you like it or not?

James Combs
01-30-2012, 9:15 AM
Jeff, I think the black is a marked improvement, as is eliminating the beads at the base. The angle of the pics makes the finial look much larger than it apparently is in looking at the pic with the lid off. It probably would provide a better perspective on scale with more of a side view and not so much "top down" view. Just a thought!

Ditto what John said. Post us a more profile photo.