PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye

Roland Martin
01-29-2012, 8:13 PM
This is my latest attempt at a suspended HF. The pedestal & finial are kinda "heavy, but I'll keep at it. My arthritis in the winter is not friendly to producing very fine details, I'm finding:( Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the outcome.Birdseyee maple and S.A. Rosewood, 4 3/4" x 8 1/2" x 1/8", so far it's got BLO and 2 coats of GF Nordic Oil w/2-3 more coats coming. I seem to think the low sheen is going to stay, the open grain of the rosewood doesn't lend itself to a gloss finish, IMO. Thanks for looking and fire away:D!

charlie knighton
01-29-2012, 8:18 PM
cool piece Roland, and nicely done, continuous curve form on all sections

Doug W Swanson
01-29-2012, 8:19 PM
I think it looks great, Roland. It may not be as tall as DD's but it sure looks nice and proportionate in the pictures!

Roger Chandler
01-29-2012, 8:20 PM
That is super nice, Roland! Very good form and fine detail work. I agree with your assessment that the finial and bulb on the pedestal could be a little slimmer, but boy this is a nice piece........well conceived and carried out.

In my thinking, this is top shelf! Congratulations on a fine piece of wood art!

Roland Martin
01-29-2012, 8:20 PM
Thanks Charlie, it was a really fun one to do, not like any of this is "not" fun:)

Donny Lawson
01-29-2012, 8:22 PM
I think its a very nice piece. It's something I've never tried but I do like it alot.

Jay Rasmussen
01-29-2012, 8:23 PM
Very nice Roland, I like it!

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 8:44 PM
Nice work, Roland! I love the flow of this piece, and your choice of woods is perfect. I agree that the onions on the pedestal and finial could be a bit more delicate, but if you're anything like me, they seem to be bigger off the lathe than on the lathe. I think dissimilar heights for the finial and pedestal is generally preferred for this type of piece, but I really like the proportions you've got on this piece... It just works for me.

Eric Holmquist
01-29-2012, 8:57 PM
Nice work Roland. I'll be contrarian and like the pedestal! I personally find the trend towards super thin pedestals supporting large pieces over-done. I'll agree with you on the finial though, a bit more slender might have been nicer, but I would really have to see plan B to know for sure. Overall the overall flow of the lines is great.

John Keeton
01-29-2012, 9:05 PM
Very clean work, Roland!! Nice wood combo, and good lines to the form and elements. While the finial and pedestal could be a bit more delicate, they seem to work with this piece. The pedestal is really not that far out of scale for the piece, and if the finial were 2/3 the size and mass of the pedestal, that might make the piece more "the norm" - but, it still works and works well!

Dan Forman
01-29-2012, 9:40 PM
A very comely form, and the contrasting woods are good complements. How is something like this put together - glued up in sections, or fitted as you go?

Dan

Brian Effinger
01-29-2012, 9:44 PM
That is a really nice piece, Roland. :) Maybe the finial and pedistal could have been a touch thinner, but I don't think they take anything away from the piece the way they are. As the good Dr. said, they proportions are good.

Scott Hackler
01-29-2012, 9:52 PM
Very nice work Roland. I like the balance between the different colors and the form. The only, and very slight nit pick would be that I would have like to see the pedestal at its thinnest as a continuous flowing curve instead of straightening out for the length of the stem. But that it so very minor it's really a personal preference. Excellent work.

Ken Glass
01-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Roland,
Very nice piece. I love the flow of color from top to bottom. Great choice of woods too. Well done.

Thomas Heck
01-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Nice work!

Harry Robinette
01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Roland
Very nice piece I really like the woods you used together. Also try to find a product called Penetran Plus it's a cream I get from the Vitamin Depot here its the best thing I have found for arthritis, my wife used it for her knee before she had it replaced and I still use it for my knees and the nerve damage in my thumbs.
It works better then the medicine I got from the doctor at more money.

Baxter Smith
01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Great choice of woods Roland with a nice flow from top to bottom! Well done!

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 12:14 AM
While I can understand th comments about the size of the stem and finial, I feel it makes you look at it a little longer and by no means does it detract from the overall appearance of it what so ever. Kind of reminds me of a beautiful woman that's 5 feet tall.:D

Michelle Rich
01-30-2012, 6:20 AM
I like the middle picture ..you are getting very , very close to great finials & sticks...I think the finish is glossy enough..I've always been a fan of a more satin finish.

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 6:41 AM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, priceless learning tools.

That is super nice, Roland! Very good form and fine detail work. I agree with your assessment that the finial and bulb on the pedestal could be a little slimmer, but boy this is a nice piece........well conceived and carried out.
In my thinking, this is top shelf! Congratulations on a fine piece of wood art!

Thank you Roger, much appreciated.

Nice work, Roland! I love the flow of this piece, and your choice of woods is perfect. I agree that the onions on the pedestal and finial could be a bit more delicate, but if you're anything like me, they seem to be bigger off the lathe than on the lathe. I think dissimilar heights for the finial and pedestal is generally preferred for this type of piece, but I really like the proportions you've got on this piece... It just works for me.

I agree David, sizing is a bit difficult to assess on the lathe. I should get in the habit of pulling it off the lathe to get a better perspective of size during the process.

Very clean work, Roland!! Nice wood combo, and good lines to the form and elements. While the finial and pedestal could be a bit more delicate, they seem to work with this piece. The pedestal is really not that far out of scale for the piece, and if the finial were 2/3 the size and mass of the pedestal, that might make the piece more "the norm" - but, it still works and works well!

Thanks John, helpful info on proportioning, haven't done much with pedestals and finials yet, much trickiier than I imagined.

While I can understand th comments about the size of the stem and finial, I feel it makes you look at it a little longer and by no means does it detract from the overall appearance of it what so ever. Kind of reminds me of a beautiful woman that's 5 feet tall.:D
Mmmm, nothing wrong with a 5 foot tall beautiful woman:D

Thanks Harry, I'll see if I can locate some of that, the older I get, the longer the winters are:(

Roland Martin
01-30-2012, 6:50 AM
A very comely form, and the contrasting woods are good complements. How is something like this put together - glued up in sections, or fitted as you go?

Dan

Dan, I fit as I go. I find the glue joints to be much better doing it that way. (Inspired by John K.)

James Combs
01-30-2012, 9:26 AM
Roland I think it is a great looking piece. I am in the finial/stem are perfect camp. I think the compliment the shape of the main form. The combination of the woods is great. I also consider it a somewhat "out of the box" piece. Is the combo segmentation or an inlay?
Thanks for posting.