PDA

View Full Version : What ratio do you mix brass fillings and epoxy for inlay?

Bill Bukovec
01-29-2012, 7:31 PM
What ratio do you mix brass fillings and epoxy for inlay?

Do you use a lot of epoxy and few fillings so the filings appear to "float" in the epoxy?

Or do you use a lot of fillings and just enogh epoxy to make a paste that spreads like peanut butter?

This weekend I tried using clear epoxy and fillings in a small bowl (for experimental purposes).

I turned a recessed groove with my parting tool, then filled with epoxy and fillings. The mixture was like peanut butter.

I let the epoxy cure for a day, then turned it.

Looks like crap. Kinda grayish with a few brass sparkles in it. I stopped sanding at 180.

Is there something I'm missing here? Should I color the epoxy black?

Thanks,

Bill

Richard Allen
01-29-2012, 9:02 PM
The one time I had any success (where it didn't look like crap) there was a LOT of brass. This was thicker than peanut butter, more like concrete. I also needed to sand the surface to a very high grit (the highest grit I had back then was 2000 wet/dry). The look was of dull brass. No way was it shiny brass. I waited a day to turn and a second day before sanding.

If I want a shiny gold look I use heavy body gold paint. I have also used run-n-buff in a very shallow grove.

Curt Fuller
01-29-2012, 9:08 PM
It depends on what you want the inlay to look like. Using a lot of filings makes the mixture hard to work so I've done a couple things. I've mixed the brass filings about 50/50, packed it into the area I'm filling and then sprinkled more on top and pushed them into the mix. That makes a pretty dense brass fill if you like that look. But what I like best is a mixture with less filings and then add dye to the epoxy, usually black but you could use whatever color you like to compliment the wood. I think that gives it a nice sparkly look. But I've had the same results you had if I don't add color to the epoxy.

John Keeton
01-29-2012, 9:12 PM
Bill, what epoxy system are you using? I have used System Three, and I mix the filings into the resin more dense than the final look you want to allow for the addition of the hardener (half as much hardener as resin). I then add black tint - it doesn't take much. It is important to tint the resin prior to adding the filings. If you tint first, you cannot tell how dense the filings are. Then add the hardener and make the pour in the recess.

Try to avoid stirring in bubbles.

This should give you a definitive contrast between the black and brass, and it should sand out very well. The finish will add the gloss for a deep black look.

Wally Dickerman
01-29-2012, 9:18 PM
I've used brass filings with epoxy. Pretty dull the first time. After that I got some gold sparkles at a craft store and added a little to the mix. Tossed in a little bit of red also....really worked well.

ray hampton
01-29-2012, 9:21 PM
If you add too much hardener will it set-up too quick

James Combs
01-29-2012, 9:44 PM
If you add too much hardener will it set-up too quick

Ray, Bill this might interest you too, actually I have heard or read someplace that adding hardener(and we are talking epoxy) is a little counter intuitive. Seems that if you add more then enough hardener the hardener doesn't all get used up and you can end up with a gooey mess especially on the surface of the epoxy pour. However, if you mix a little short on the hardener it just takes a little longer for the epoxy to set up. Since I read or heard that I always try to be shy on the hardener and so far I haven't had any problems. I you read my recent post on the faux pen separating on me I believe that was a case of slightly over doing the hardener. UMMV

Edit: I reread my post and just for a quick clarification. The fastest the epoxy will cure is with the proper mix whether it is 50/50 or some other required mix. Adding more hardener does nothing except to make a mess. Remember I am talking only epoxy here. Other resins such as Poly resins are a different breed and typically the more hardener you add the faster they cure. At least that is my understanding of the chemistry.

Mike Cruz
01-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Interesting thread, Bill. Thanks for starting it. I thought it was just me that was getting that "gray". I did notice that the shine starts to pop when you sand down to the really fine grits with micro mesh.

Bill Bukovec
01-30-2012, 12:22 PM
John,

I used generic clear epoxy the has two tubes with a common plunger. Something you would find at a hobby store.

To dispense the resin and hardener, the plunger is pressed to dispense equal amouts of each.

Next time I will try tinting the epoxy and get some very fine sandpaper

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Bill

Jim Burr
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Devcon clear is a good epoxy. I would use CA to "cast" the filings in place. Just a light spritz of accelerator from a few feet away to cure it and you should be good to go.