PDA

View Full Version : Life is short

Shawn Pixley
01-29-2012, 6:27 PM
I went to a friend's memorial service today. He passed two weeks ago after a five year battle with cancer. He left behind his wife and 11 year old triplets. Just before Thanksgiving he came home from the hospice. He had taken a LOA four years ago from our work. He spent one last holiday with his family. He seemed better immediately when he came home. I was able to visit 1-2 times per week. Sometimes he couldn't wake up. Other times he was more lucid than any time in the previous year.

The outpouring from his friends was very touching. It puts things in perspective. Don't let your self get cheated on life. Live fully, and love your friends and family.

Jay Rasmussen
01-29-2012, 8:20 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss Shawn. I’m glad his wife and children have good friends and family! You are one of them.

mickey cassiba
01-29-2012, 8:54 PM
You are good friend Shawn.
Nothing more be needs to be said.

Terry Hatfield
01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Sorry for your loss. Praying for you and for his family.

alex grams
01-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Thoughts and Prayers. I had a college classmate pass away a few years ago at age 29. Married only a few years to his high school sweetheart.

I had a teacher sum it up well once about a student passing away

'It is sad when someone who has lived a full life dies. It is tragic when someone who has so much life ahead of them dies.'

I am sure your visits meant more to him and his family than you can imagine.

paul cottingham
01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry for your loss. Your kindness and dedication to your friend is inspirational.

Shawn Pixley
01-30-2012, 10:53 AM
The memorial service hit me harder than I expected. Mark tried hard to give as much as he could until the end.

"Man comes, till the fields and lies beneath"

Many people might have given up earlier. Mark was determined to live as fully as he could. He would not let himself get cheated on what little time he had. I am wondering if I am doing the same...