PDA

View Full Version : How do you sharpen a beading tool?

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 6:00 PM
I have a pieceof ironwood I want to do some beading work on and I have never sharpened my beading tools. I've had them for years so they are at the point that they cause checking on softer woods. Is there a particular way to sharpen these correctly? I don't want to mess this piece of wood up.

Thanks,

mickey cassiba
01-29-2012, 9:31 PM
I would think, that unless it's chipped..a top sharpening would be the only way to go. But your radii will shrink, so don't take too much.

Stephen Cherry
01-29-2012, 10:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2mHVVfE8n8&feature=plcp&context=C35fcc92UDOEgsToPDskLtGuKAslrC11D_61e3qYYv

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks very much Stephen. That'll solve my problem, I'll put this to use as soon as I get home.

Rick Fisher
01-30-2012, 3:07 AM
I have a beading tool and simply slide the cutters on a waterstone, on the flat.. It would be helpful to have a slip, but the flat method is working so far. It seems that you can make a sharp edge by honing in a way that would make the cutter thinner ..

Stephen Cherry
01-30-2012, 8:24 AM
I have a beading tool and simply slide the cutters on a waterstone, on the flat.. It would be helpful to have a slip, but the flat method is working so far. It seems that you can make a sharp edge by honing in a way that would make the cutter thinner ..

I agree- I have a few shapes that I have made using files, and I sharpen the flats using diamond then ceramic stones.