PDA

View Full Version : A surprise from Jeff Nicol along with a first for me

Kathy Marshall
01-29-2012, 5:29 PM
I think I need to turn something for my mail carrier. My mailbox is down the street on the corner, but when I have a box coming she drives down the street to leave it on my porch. Well Saturday, she made the drive again and dropped off a box of goodies from Jeff Nicol!

Lots of cool stuff in there (minus the piece I started turning today). Thanks Jeff!
The piece I started turning was a nice little block of spalted hard maple. I was going for a vase shape and everything was going fine, when Blam! a bad catch! This was the 1st time I've blown a piece up, but I guess it happens to all of us sooner or later.

I was using the new carbide cutter I just got from Lyle Jamieson trying to get a fairly smooth surface inside and apparently I was a little off on the angle.

Searched for the pieces in the shavings and could only find 2 of them, so I've turned off the neck and did a little tweaking on the shape, now just have to see how the rest of it goes.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
01-29-2012, 5:33 PM
Kathy, sorry about the catch - but, it is good to get the first one out of the way. Kind of like the first scratch on a new car! There will be others, but they wont' "hurt" as badly.

That Jeff is a super guy. I just received a tool rest he made for me - accompanied by several chunks of wood.

James Combs
01-29-2012, 5:38 PM
Its always a sad thing when it happens but happens it does. Just posted last week about one I blew up but at least yours is somewhat sasalvageable, not so with mine. Sure is some nice looking wood and I can kind of see what the trimmed back version might look like. I think it will still look great, just watch out that there are no more...I wont sat the word.

Steve Campbell
01-29-2012, 5:50 PM
Great recovery Kathy. I've only met Jeff one time be he treated me like an old friend. Nice guy. Looks like some interesting chunks there.

Steve

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 5:52 PM
Sorry to see that. I hope you were wearing your face shield. Looks like there's enough of it left to salvage it into a nice, deep vessel. be careful with the rest of it though, we don't want any injury posts from you.

David DeCristoforo
01-29-2012, 6:14 PM
Oops! I hate it when that happens. That is a piece of wood worth saving though...

Allan Ferguson
01-29-2012, 6:30 PM
That is a bummer. An interesting piece of wood and looking forward to seeing the final result.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2012, 7:03 PM
Congrats on all the wood Kathy! It will definitely give you something different to turn for a bit! To bad about the vase but when dealing with spalted wood, there are many weak spots! Glad you were not injured! Looking forward to seeing the finished version of the vase!

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 7:07 PM
Congrats on getting the goodies, and condolences on the misshap... Been there, done that, already making plans to go back again!

Jeff Fagen
01-29-2012, 7:41 PM
Thats a really nice care package.I stopped in to see Jeff on Saturday and I saw the goodies you sent to him recently.We filled up two hours just talking woodturning and he sent me home with some nice woods.:)That spalted wood for me is a love hate relationship.

charlie knighton
01-29-2012, 8:22 PM
glad only pride and wood were broken, keep them coming, i find i learn something from each mishap

Baxter Smith
01-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Congrats on the wood. Its about time you got that "first" over with and out of the way. Hope it takes a while for number two to come along!

Cheryl A. Prince
01-30-2012, 5:54 AM
What a great variety of wood to play with! The first time I used a carbide cutter I blew up my piece:eek:! I'm a little shy with that cutter now. I actually need to "get back on the horse" and try it out again. Have fun turning all of that wood!