PDA

View Full Version : I want to conquer the Skew!!!

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 1:40 PM
Anyone with any advice what so ever, please chime in. This tool has eluded my skills long enough. It's time to take action and beat this devise into submission. No longer will I let this tool stare me down and taunt me. No longer will it just be an over glorified scraper. The time has come to rise up and conquer!!!:eek:

Greg Just
01-29-2012, 2:02 PM
get Alan Lacer's video and practice, practice, practice! Use some 2x2 material and try beads and coves. Make sure the skew is razor sharp! You won't need sandpaper in the end

Nate Davey
01-29-2012, 2:27 PM
I practiced Al Lacers video one section at a time. I love my skew now.

Jim Burr
01-29-2012, 2:28 PM
I watched a couple of You Tube vid's and chucked up a bunch of whatever I had around and walked the walk. Maybe start with some 3/4" stock and make it round...just keep practicing and moving up. I follow my own rule of making sure the skew I use (have 3) is half the diameter of the blank I'm turning. Usually it's my Sorby 3/8" pen skew because...that what I use it for!

Dan Forman
01-29-2012, 2:40 PM
The Lacer video is very good, also check out Captain Eddie"s videos on YouTube about sharpening with a convex grind, which is supposed to help prevent catches.

Dan

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 3:19 PM
+1 for the Lacer videos and practice. I'd start with just planing a cylinder then move on to v-grooves and beads. Cut with the lower half of the tool, make sure it's sharp, and keep the bevel against the wood... It's as easy as that!

Brian Libby
01-29-2012, 3:20 PM
I just attended our club demo featuring Al Mather (almather.com) from "Downeast Maine". He is a master of the skew and he suggests using soft woods like pine or poplar 1 or 2 inch square blanks 6 to 8 inches long. His key advice is PRACTICE and use a safety drive center.

Roger Chandler
01-29-2012, 3:51 PM
Yup...........Lacer's video is good........so is Darlow's if you can avoid going to sleep on it.....:o......there is no substitute for actually practicing cuts..........start with a 2x4 cut up into square blanks.........graduate to larger 4x4 stock and practice specific cuts.............I wanted to make table legs...........got the hang of pummel cuts and cutting V grooves and planing cuts...........

I probably need to practice now since it has been awhile since I made a table leg...............

Lacer's video will show you where the cut is supposed to happen along the bevel on the edge, how catches happen, the proper sharpening and several other needed techniques broken down to understandable steps.

Good luck!

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 4:15 PM
Thanks very much everyone. I'll order Alan's video when I get home. Another question, I use a wet sharpener, will the radius of the stone effect the tools ability to use it safely or should I look into a shaprener that has a flat surface to sharpen on?

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 4:37 PM
You're fine with what you've got, Bill. I hone a fair bit but sharpen infrequently.

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 4:52 PM
I was looking at Alan Lacer's diamond stone, will that work for the Skew?

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 4:54 PM
Sure... Or DWay's CBN hone. Lacer uses an MDF wheel to power hone at times as well, but I haven't done that.

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 5:14 PM
Well, between the DVD's and you guys, I think I can do this. I ordered a couple Skews but I'll save that for pics when they come in. I'm kind of excited to learn this skill.

Harry Robinette
01-29-2012, 7:13 PM
Bill get ALAN BATTY's dvd I believe Craftsuppies has it helped me allot more then Alan Lasers .

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 7:14 PM
I hope the ones you ordered are thick steel... I've had better luck with my Alan Lacer skew(3/8 thick) than any of the 1/4 versions I've tried. They'll all cut wood, but I've found the mass in the Lacer skew to be very beneficial. BTW, didn't the Glaser quick lock set contain a skew?

Peter Fabricius
01-29-2012, 7:21 PM
Hi Bill;
You take the nasty little tool handle in your right hand and put your left hand on the metal near the sharp end.
Place the metal on the tool rest FIRMLY. (do not touch the wood yet)
Now, move the bevel of the tool to just touch the wood. (not cutting wood yet)
Rotate the tool slightly till the sharp edge starts a very light cut. (keep firm pressure down on the tool rest, rotate tool with the right hand)
Move the cutting edge slowly to the left along the blank. (I am assuming you are right handed and the practice blank is already round)
Never start a new cut from the right end of the blank. (always have the bevel in touch with the wood)
When you want to cut the right end of the blank use the tool opposite to the above, moving to the right. (the bevel must always support the cutting edge)
For sharpening, a regular grinder will do OK. Move the skew up on the wheel as you sharpen it. A convex bevel can be beneficial to avoiding a catch.
I hope this helps, show us some pics of your progress.
Good luck and congratulations on getting some new skew tools. Hopefully they will not be nasty little tools???!!!
Peter F

Greg Just
01-29-2012, 7:43 PM
I was looking at Alan Lacer's diamond stone, will that work for the Skew?

I have the diamond hone and use it all the time. You don't have to go back to the grinder nearly as often.

Michael Mills
01-29-2012, 8:13 PM
A couple of people mentioned a “safety drive”, basically a dead center renamed.
I finally picked up one of these a few weeks back. This for a 2MT.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250970380102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250970380102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)
OK, not as good as the Oneway for $50 inc shipping but for $7.25 I think it will work just fine. Lacer shows how to scallop the edges in the video. The point doesn’t retract in the Sears one but that is fine with me.
No connection with the seller.

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Just got back from my B-day party. Thanks so much to everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll be taking all this info and using it carefully to do as you all say. I can't wait to learn the nuances of this tool. It was said to me by a fellow turner once that you're not truly a turner until you master the skew. I kind of took it personally and decided I'm way over due to conquer my fears. I already noticed one thing I have been doing wrong with the Crown skew I already have. Iwasn't riding the bevel before the cut. I also wasn't too comfortible with the small size of the skew I have. When it caught, and it really caught, it almost came out of my hand. It has only been used as a scraper ever since. Every time I use it as a scraper I think about the fact that proper use of it has eluded me. I watch youtube videos of guys using it so easily and the wood looks like its sanded to a 2000 grit finish. I tell myself I will learn to use this tool. Bottom line is, that time is here. Again, thanks so much for everyones wonderful advice. I'll be sure to post my progression and methods I learn to use.

Nick Stagg
01-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Allan Batty has an excellent DVD on the skew, you need to see it too.

Allan spent most of his work day with a skew in his hand. Great close up shots from many angles; you'll enjoy it. I think it's on sale at CS right now

Bill Wyko
01-30-2012, 1:11 AM
Thanks Nick, I'll get that dvd as well. You can never have too much info from turners with that level of skills.

Update: just found the Allan Batty dvd on sale for 18.00 bucks & 7.00 bucks shipping. Ordered it of course. Thanks again.

John Shuk
01-30-2012, 9:51 AM
Steve Sherman, a turner who I really respect, once told me that each time he turns he spends about ten or fifteen minutes turning a spindle or finial as practice. I think his work speaks for itself. http://shermanwoodturning.com/Steves_First_Site/HOME.html
He credits his skill to time behind the lathe.

Peter Fabricius
01-30-2012, 2:30 PM
Hi Bill;
You take the nasty little tool handle in your right hand and put your left hand on the metal near the sharp end.
Place the metal on the tool rest FIRMLY. (do not touch the wood yet)
Now, move the bevel of the tool to just touch the wood. (not cutting wood yet)
Rotate the tool slightly till the sharp edge starts a very light cut. (keep firm pressure down on the tool rest, rotate tool with the right hand)
Move the cutting edge slowly to the left along the blank. (I am assuming you are right handed and the practice blank is already round)
Never start a new cut from the right end of the blank. (always have the bevel in touch with the wood)
When you want to cut the right end of the blank use the tool opposite to the above, moving to the right. (the bevel must always support the cutting edge)
For sharpening, a regular grinder will do OK. Move the skew up on the wheel as you sharpen it. A convex bevel can be beneficial to avoiding a catch.
I hope this helps, show us some pics of your progress.
Good luck and congratulations on getting some new skew tools. Hopefully they will not be nasty little tools???!!!
Peter F