PDA

View Full Version : Patent Application for Laser Cut Foam?

Erich Weidner
01-29-2012, 1:16 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen this (it comes from a niche industry within a niche hobby, table top miniature wargames which happens to be one of my hobbies) and the news isn't terribly recent, but I found it interesting.

I came across a reference that a laser cutting company has filed a patent claim for laser cut foam (I assume they feel they are doing something special that no-one else has done).

There is a company which makes custom cut foam inserts for their line of carrying cases designed to specifically fit the size of the models/miniatures of this hobby as well as offering custom cutting for their customers. Seems like a (possibly) new market for existing technology and work methods, but then what do they think they have which is so special?

I'm no attorney, and am less than a rank amateur with laser cutters. Would this sort of thing be a problem for folks laser cutting foam for awards or scientific instrument protection, etc.?

http://www.livingdice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/battlefoam_patent_application.pdf

I don't know what the outcome of this was, if the patent was granted or not, the news of the application is from 2010, but I thought it might be interesting to folks here. (I hang out in the wood working forums here at SMC, but have been reading here to learn about laser engraving wood and metal, saw a post about foam and well... just thought it might be interesting to the folks in the Engravers Forum).

[Edit: see my below post, it was rejected late in 2011 by the patent office]

Rodne Gold
01-29-2012, 1:52 PM
If those guys get a patent for that , the only patent thing about it , is that it would be a patent traversty of justice IMO...unless I missed something radically brilliant and unknown about this all. I will admit , I scanned the patent application thingy , was getting exceedingly boring.
Foam cutting with a laser aint new.
Next thing you know , all holes dug with spaders will be patented.....

Erich Weidner
01-29-2012, 2:07 PM
I agree Rodne. It would be pretty scary if such a thing did succeed, but looks like the patent office did the right thing. Reject! :)

I couldn't help digging around until I found an update.

Looks like the patent application was rejected (final rejection mailed Nov. 2011).
The patent application number was 12/479,410
I was able to search for it here: http://appft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

Martin Boekers
01-29-2012, 2:23 PM
You'll find there have been many patents applied for ing lasering many rejected and many accepted.
You can search this forum as we have many discussion on this. There is one believe it or not for
engraving Cigars! You can do a search for bricks here at SMC and you'll understand what I mean :)

Ernie Balch
01-29-2012, 3:42 PM
About 18 years ago I talked with a guy that tried to patent using a laser to cook steak. It was rejected

ernie

Chuck Stone
01-29-2012, 7:07 PM
things have gotten worse since the Patent office has to be self supporting
lots of things got through that never should have