PDA

View Full Version : Blushing Ash

Curt Fuller
01-29-2012, 12:34 PM
This bowl I turned last night has something going on that I've never seen before. This is Ash, the wood is pretty green, very plain, and I turned it all in one session. But what is weird is that the shavings would turn pink after they sat for a few minutes. Then as I was sanding the bowl it started having pink splotches appear in it. Some of them seem to possibly be from the heat or friction from sanding because you can see some swirls that look like they're from the 3" sanding disc. But others seem to be just random areas that are blushing pink. This seemed to all take place in about half an hour and it hasn't gotten any worse or better over night. Any of you ever seen this before?

Anyway, the wood is pretty plain, not very pretty. The bowl is 10.5" x 3.5" x 3/16". It has some Antique oil on it but that didn't seem to change the color either.

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 12:40 PM
A nice bowl indeed, I wonder if it was some sort of oxidizing effect of the fresh cut being exposed to the open air as you turned it? At least it made it an interesting project, thanks for sharing.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
No, not seen anything like this, in any wood I've turned so far. Interesting, to say the least. Any history of the tree it came from? Or was it picked up somewhere on the road? I know Iron content in nails turns Oak black, but heard nothing about anything going pink! Nice bowl by the way.

Doug Herzberg
01-29-2012, 12:48 PM
I've read about it, I think on SMC, but haven't seen it. Don't recall if anyone knew why it happens. Nice bow. I don't think the wood is plain.

Richard Allen
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
The ash is bruised. You can bruise green ash with your bowl gouge. The most typical bruising come from the heel of the bevel of your bowl gouge. The way around this is to use sharp tools grind back the heel of the bevel and lighten your pressure when ridding the bevel.

Nathan Hawkes
01-29-2012, 1:01 PM
Except for the last photo, it likely isn't bruising. I've experienced the exact same phenomenon, and after a day or two, the shavings as well as the bowl turned as clear blond color as when I started. I don't know that the phenomenon is actually oxidation or not, because it returns to its normal coloration. Anyone care to offer a scientific, non-anecdotal reason? I can tell you it does not have to do with the finish or bruising at all, as it appeared on almost all surfaces of the bowls that I myself turned, irrespective of grain direction, no matter the quality of surface cut. The shavings also turn pink, and return to normal after a time. For me it was a day or more. Happy turning!!

Dennis Ford
01-29-2012, 1:45 PM
I have had ash turn pink but it did not stay that way.

Steve Vaughan
01-29-2012, 1:53 PM
I dunno, Curt. What were you saying when you turned this? Obviously, you embarrassed that piece of wood.

Jim Burr
01-29-2012, 2:31 PM
Maybe it wanted to be well done and not rare? Still a cool bowl for M&M's!

Sid Matheny
01-29-2012, 2:37 PM
I don't know what it either but hope it stays that way. Please keep up updated on how the color lasts.

Sid

David Gilbert
01-29-2012, 2:48 PM
I've seen this blushing as well but only when I used my heavy hand in sanding. I assumed that it was from over heating the wood during sanding. My experience is that it doesn't go away. I haven't noticed the chips turning pink. I have some ash to turn and will keep an eye on the shavings.

Cheers,
David

Harry Robinette
01-29-2012, 7:02 PM
I turned a piece at JC Campbell with the late Doug Barnes that did the same thing, Doug said its got something to do with the moisture in the wood. If you don't put a finish on it should turn back in a couple days then finish, if you finish it then it will retain the pick color.

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 7:10 PM
Interesting, Curt. I recall asking Cory Norgart about some pink coloring in some ash burls on his site, and I think he told me that it fades over time but is quite common in fresh cut wood. No clue about the science behind it.

John Spitters
01-29-2012, 7:29 PM
I'm with Harry on this one.
I"ve had the same thing happen when turning Ash and believe it to be areas that are still holding excess moisture, if you leave it without finish it with go away in a few days, but if you apply any finish over this it will tend to always show.