PDA

View Full Version : SMC, a good thing - Creeker Visit

Doug Herzberg
01-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Mark Slutz discovered through SMC that we're practically neighbors. He's been buying blanks at WC and I had a big score with a tree trimmer last September which resulted in more wood than I'll be able to turn for a long time. We're both new turners so any shop time would have been the blind leading the blind. Besides, I had to return my only chuck to Grizzly and am waiting for the replacement. No shop photos to avoid upsetting Mr. K.

I'm the old fat guy with his hands in his pocket trying to hide his gut (turner's muscle?). Mark is the much younger, better looking guy beside me. He's off with some practice wood to teach his young son about the vortex. I'm off to the symphonyhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon11.png, so no time for turning todayhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.png. We're both planning to visit the Pikes Peak Woodturners this week to try to learn something from the pros and see if we can find some interesting wood.

SMC makes the world a smaller place.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Good to hear of SMC neighbours getting together, just wish I had a Brit one!

Dan Forman
01-29-2012, 1:01 PM
Glad you two were able to get together. I've always enjoyed turner visits, Creeker or otherwise. Now get out there and clean up the shop so that we can see more pis next time! :)

Dan

Roger Chandler
01-29-2012, 1:35 PM
Great story, Doug! Creeker visits are nice..........good of you to load up Mark with some wood to get started.........looking for pics next time! Give that G0698 a good workout! Enjoy the symphony as well.

David E Keller
01-29-2012, 3:22 PM
Sounds like fun!

charlie knighton
01-29-2012, 3:33 PM
good for yall

John Keeton
01-29-2012, 5:27 PM
Doug, glad you two got together - sounds like a good match up for some fun in the shop. I think I am going to have to deputize some creekers - being the only cop on the "shop police" beat is a grueling job!!:D

Jon McElwain
01-29-2012, 5:32 PM
One of these days I'll have to get down to the Springs again. We've been down to the Garden of the Gods a couple of times, but that was before I know of any turners down there. If either of you are up through Fort Collins, stop on by!

Mark Slutz
01-29-2012, 7:48 PM
Thanks again Doug for the great wood score. It was good to find a turner so close.
Here are some pics of the wood I got from Doug (sorry for the poor quality of pics). He was a great guy and more than willing to share some of his stash. There is some Osage Orange, Russian Olive, Apple, Locust, beetle kill pine and cottonwood. The large piece is cottonwood that measures 20x24x14. I am looking forward to giving some wet wood a try, the dry stuff I have been using is brittle and a lot of dust.
Hope to see you at Pikes Peak Woodturners Wed.

Donny Lawson
01-29-2012, 8:19 PM
Looks like you had a great visit. That's some pretty nice wood.

Doug Herzberg
01-29-2012, 8:20 PM
It was nice to meet someone so close, Mark. I look forward to repeating the experience when I don't have any vacancies demanding my time.

I forgot to warn you that that particular cottonwood tree smells like dog doo when you cut into it. Hope your son thinks that's funny and not too gross. See you Wednesday if all goes well.

Mark Slutz
01-29-2012, 9:19 PM
Jon,I work about 1 mi. from Garden of the Gods.Let us know if you get down this way.

Mark Slutz
01-29-2012, 9:30 PM
I will not say anything abou the dog doo, i'll let him find it on his own:)

Mike Cruz
01-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Awesome that you two found each other!

And Mark, you aren't going to turn that Locust are you? That's too good of firewood to turn! ;) :D