PDA

View Full Version : How to use a side rabbet plane?

Archie England
01-29-2012, 9:27 AM
I've recently purchased the LV side rabbet plane to clean out (and possibly expand) my grooves (using a #45). I'm not getting shavings at all. When I advance the blades to where the edge significantly protrudes, I get deep corner tracks with a little shaving packed at that edge of the SR body. When I back the blade off, I get nothing: no shavings, no indication that the SR plane is working. Nada!

I'm about to take the blades off and sharpen them; but LV blades typically arrive sharp enough for trial.

There's no apparent damage or blemish to the plane. Everything fits and seems to work. I've read the instructions and tried to make cuts both vertically and horizontally, but to no avail thus far.

I'm hoping some of you will have the knowledge to help me get this plane to work.

Many thanks....

Archie,
near NOLA

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-29-2012, 9:40 AM
Have you looked over the manual (http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=60226) yet? Sounds like what might happen if you haven't ground back the tip yet.

Archie England
01-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah, read the directions but still don't get it. However, tell me more about grinding off the protruding edge.

Rob Lee
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah, read the directions but still don't get it. However, tell me more about grinding off the protruding edge.

Hi Archie -

Easiest way to dock the blade tip properly is:

1) hone the blade as you normally would.
2) install in the plane, and set the cut depth such that it takes an appropriate shaving (use it like a regular plane - plane a thin strip of wood, not a groove)
3) dock the protruding blade corner so that it's flush with the edge of the body

That should get you going!

If you still have problems - give me a shout, and I can set up a phone call with an expert to help work through it.

Cheers -

Rob

Archie England
01-29-2012, 1:48 PM
Thanks Rob! That's why I keep buying LV tools!!!!! :)

Gary Herrmann
01-29-2012, 4:58 PM
Hey Rob, when's the next Veritas plane coming out? Any hints as to what kind it will be?

Tri Hoang
01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Archie -

Easiest way to dock the blade tip properly is:

1) hone the blade as you normally would.
2) install in the plane, and set the cut depth such that it takes an appropriate shaving (use it like a regular plane - plane a thin strip of wood, not a groove)
3) dock the protruding blade corner so that it's flush with the edge of the body

That should get you going!

If you still have problems - give me a shout, and I can set up a phone call with an expert to help work through it.

Cheers -

Rob

It's step #3 that used to get me...Otherwise, it is taking end grain shavings so make sure the edge is super sharp and take light cuts.

Rob Lee
01-30-2012, 8:11 AM
Hey Rob, when's the next Veritas plane coming out? Any hints as to what kind it will be?

Hi Gary -

We're working on a few things... next major plane will be the LA Rabbet..nickers both sides, tilting handle, and a fence that goes on either side. Looks like late summer for that one... but we'll be able to keep you occupied with other distractions until then... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Eugenio Musto
01-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi Gary -

We're working on a few things... next major plane will be the LA Rabbet..nickers both sides, tilting handle, and a fence that goes on either side. Looks like late summer for that one... but we'll be able to keep you occupied with other distractions until then... :)

Cheers -

Rob
I'm probably wrong but it seems like a combination plane with some particular blade,right?
Or it will be an alternative to the Skew rabbet plane?
You have already drop the bomb Rob, but you can always fix that with some little scoop :D

Russell Sansom
01-30-2012, 1:28 PM
Archie,
With a low-mass plane, sharpness is everything. I greatly admire the flatness of LV iron and the burden they've taken off the "hobbiest" by preparing the backs. But I find the delivered edge just shy of sharp enough. These guys take a little more fiddling than most. Once you get it working it should be good for many years.