PDA

View Full Version : Spline Box take 2

Kathy Marshall
01-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Another attempt at a spline box. I added a curved rim on this one, so 1 step closer to the full plan. This was from an african sumac log that I had soaked in dishsoap for a few days and then has been sitting around in the shop gathering shavings for over a year. Apparently it absorbed quite a bit of the soap mixture because I could smell it when I cut it on the bandsaw and while I was turning it. It may have also helped to prevent cracking since the log was in fairly good shape and in my experience, af sumac is very prone to cracking while in log form.
The spline was turned from walnut. The top has been drilled so I'll be adding some type of knob, when I was testing the fit, it was a little too good and I couldn't get it off, so I drilled the whole and a little shot of air popped it right off.
Finished with a coat of danish oil.
221680221679221678 221681
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Dan Forman
01-29-2012, 2:19 AM
That's pretty cool, do you cut it on a bandsaw to get the curve?

Dan

Kathy Marshall
01-29-2012, 2:36 AM
That's pretty cool, do you cut it on a bandsaw to get the curve?

Dan
Yes. Start with a square blank, turn a tenon on each end and then take it to the bandsaw with the blank still square (easier and safer to cut a square blank). Then mount one piece in the chuck, use the tailstock in the dimple left from turning the tenons between centers to line up the 2nd piece. Because the edges are curved, when you line then up and use pressure from the tailstock, they will lock together and you can round both blanks to cylinders at the same time.

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 2:38 AM
Kathy, that is just one cool box! a tutorial would be great. I'm in Phx this weekend too. I live in Tucson though. if you are ever in town, stop in at Audio 2000 on Speedway.

Jon Prouty
01-29-2012, 9:01 AM
You nailed it Kathy! Looks like Jason's demo really inspired you on this one. Pleasing curve on the cut too. Are you bringing this one to the next meeting? Are you staying with sumac for the knob too?

Jon

Eric Holmquist
01-29-2012, 9:13 AM
Great design on that box, I think I have to try one of these spline boxes!

Doug W Swanson
01-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Cool box, Kathy!

David DeCristoforo
01-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Very cool! Have you inadvertently discovered how John Beaver does his "wave" pieces?

Brian Effinger
01-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Nice box Kathy. :)

Very cool! Have you inadvertently discovered how John Beaver does his "wave" pieces?
I was thinking the same thing. ;)

Steve Mawson
01-29-2012, 1:09 PM
Very very nice, like everything about it.

Jason Clark2
01-29-2012, 3:13 PM
Pretty nice Kathy. I'll be posting the version that I demonstrated shortly so people are able to compare and contrast.

I've considered this as the process Mr. Beaver uses to do his bowls but I don't think it is. I do think he cuts them on the band saw to get the curved cut but I don't think that he uses the spline process to join the 2 halves so I'm still stumped.

Jason

Robert McGowen
01-29-2012, 6:26 PM
Nice, Kathy. I think I like it best when it is just a little apart. I guess you could you make the spline a little taller and that way keep the spline visible when fully closed.