PDA

View Full Version : Well it aint no DeCristoforo!

Kathy Marshall
01-28-2012, 11:35 PM
But I'm satisfied with it (I guess I have to be since it's already glued together). I'm happy with the stem itself, but the cup transition to the base sticks out like a sore thumb. The cup transition at the top of the stem is ok but could be better.
Can someone spare a box of creativity? or maybe a small bag of imagination? apparently I misplaced the little bit I had.

The stem was turned from Goncalo Alves and I really liked turning it. It's got a nice color and I'm glad I was out of walnut.
Total height is 16", the cup is 5 1/2" wide by 4 1/4" tall. Everything has a coat of danish oil and I gave it a light shot of lacquer sanding sealer to slow the drying a little. I'll probably finish it up with some wipe on poly.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Well I think it turned out real nice! Not 100% sure with the bottom cup but that is only because it is unusual and not expected. Great color combination and I feel that overall you have a real winner here! Nice work!

Doug W Swanson
01-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Kathy, I think you are being too hard on yourself. I think you did a very nice job with it....

Curt Fuller
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Holy smokes that's nice! I actually like the transition between the stem and cup a lot. I'm not sure if it worked out quite as well at the bottom but I don't have any suggestions to improve it either. That's really an impressive piece of art!

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 2:33 AM
wow, I saw the goblet w/o the stem but you've made an excellent design choice on the stem. quite an extraordinary piece. bravo!!!

Norm Zax
01-29-2012, 3:41 AM
Very nice indeed! Id make transitions smooth or almost smooth, flowing into the top (and bottom) with a similar curve. Even a small ball on each side may be easier on the eye. All the rest is superb.

John Keeton
01-29-2012, 7:43 AM
Kathy, you did a wonderful job on turning the pedestal. The style and combination of elements does not appeal to me, but it is outside the box and different enough that I bet I am in the minority!

Tom Winship
01-29-2012, 7:55 AM
I like it, Kathy. The fact that you can turn out so many bowls and then do something like this, amazes me. Plus hold down a full time job.

Steve Campbell
01-29-2012, 8:03 AM
Kathy I love the whole thing. It is kind of nice to see something kind of out of the box for a change. I wish I had half your creative vision.

Steve

James Combs
01-29-2012, 8:23 AM
I will ditto all the positive comments already mentioned and none of the more critical ones. I think it is outstanding.

Harvey Ghesser
01-29-2012, 8:53 AM
All in all, a very beautiful turning...

Baxter Smith
01-29-2012, 9:25 AM
Love the combination of colors Kathy but the cups at the top and bottom of the pedestal throw me off a bit. My mind almost expects them to be reversed for a more even flow up and down the form. Still a very pretty piece and one step closer towards achieving what is pleasing to you.

Nate Davey
01-29-2012, 9:52 AM
Very nice Kathy. It's nice in that, you've started with a successful form and made it yours. Nice combination of wood and the finish is perfect.

Ken Glass
01-29-2012, 9:58 AM
Kathy,
I love it. There is no hard, fast rule that says you must conform to anyone's standard or practice when turning. Your proportions are great, the form is exceptional and I think the stem and its top and bottom cup transition help to capture the delicacy of the stem itself. It is a wonderful piece and you should be very happy with it. Very Well Done!!

Scott Hackler
01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Very cool Kathy. I am a little "on the fence" with the stem transitions, but it might be because it's out of the norm. Overall, a very nice piece and that cup portion of really cool.

David DeCristoforo
01-29-2012, 11:41 AM
So many have already commented on the unusual design of the stem that it would be redundant to do so again. I am especially taken with the way the small "cup" at the bottom of the stem is mirrored by the one at the top. They create a bracketing effect that draws the eye to the stem itself. Not 100% sure this is a good thing because the focal point should be the beautiful olive wood cup. But the stem is a masterful example of spindle turning. All in all I think this is a very successful piece...

Brian Effinger
01-29-2012, 11:54 AM
That turned out really nice, Kathy.
There are a few minor nit picks, but they have already been mentioned. Still very nice, overall.

Roland Martin
01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Very nicely done Kathy. I especially really love the olive cup.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
For some strange reason, I thought this cup was a LOT larger... Love it as it is. Beauty being in the eye of the beholder, maybe I'm biased?

Odd as it is, it is as Kathy envisioned it, and I think if she doesn't like it as it is, she can send it to me!

Steve Mawson
01-29-2012, 12:59 PM
DeCristoforo or not I would be glad to have it on my mantel. I was suprised when I first looked at it, believe it the stem fits the piece. Good work!!

Rob Price
01-29-2012, 1:02 PM
The cup looks like its balanced on the tip of a needle, defying physics but daring to tip over if you breathe on it. I like it!

Donny Lawson
01-29-2012, 1:12 PM
Great job on that one. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Steve Vaughan
01-29-2012, 1:37 PM
Yup, that is a very cool piece. Beautiful color on all of it. It's one of those unique pieces that I'm wanting to try when I can get around to it. Great piece!