PDA

View Full Version : Update on the bed build...

Steve Vaughan
01-28-2012, 10:12 PM
A few weeks ago, I posted I'd given my wife some mahogany for Christmas, enough to make the queen size bed she's been wanting. This is a replica of the bed my late uncle built for my mom and dad about 40 years ago. It's out of African Mahogany...just wish it could have been the Honduran variety...hope it holds up alright. First two pics are of the four posts for the legs. Second two show the footboard dry assembled.

Steve Vaughan
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Here, the first two pics show the tops of the posts. I still have to turn pineapples with carved details. The second two show the headboard after glue up.

Steve Vaughan
01-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Here's the last of the updates. First pic is my hero...I'm betting Tim the Toolman Taylor had a cool lathe! Middle two are more details of the posts and the last shot the other end of the headboard. Thanks for all ya'lls encouragement!

Bob Bergstrom
01-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Making my own 4 poster bed was one of my favorite turning projects. You have really done a great job of turning those posts. That will be great family legacy someday.

Harvey Ghesser
01-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow, Steve! That's going to be a beautiful bed...congratulations!

Roger Chandler
01-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Very nice work Steve............I was wondering about how you were progressing with this yesterday.....I toyed with sending you a PM to ask about it, but decided you might be heavily in the process and have a lot of other things on your plate...........especially if your schedule is anywhere like mine.

This is going to be an heirloom for sure.............beautifully done ............can't wait to see it finished..........make sure you post more pics when you get it finished!

Steve Mawson
01-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Great job on all the spindles, are they all one piece? We have Tell City with pineapples on the chest and dresser, where do the pineapples go on the bed? A beauty for sure.

Steve Vaughan
01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Brings back great memories of my uncle building his solid mahogany furniture. The matching dresser will be next...Oh, I know, but that's flatwork. It's ok everyone.

Roger, yep, been quite a crazy schedule and it doesn't want to slow down. Got the finials do turn and carve, then work to do on the side rails to fit the bed bolts, then the finishing fun begins.

Steve, thanks, and yes, they're all one solid piece, length and thickness. The pineapple finials will go on top of the posts. I've drilled 3/4" holes in the tops of the posts to receive the tenons I'll make on the finials.

The finish will be walnut-stained grain filler followed with 1 or 2 coats of orange shellac followed with 2 or 3 coats of lacquer.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Great job on the posts! Looking forward to seeing some photos once the bed is finished! Thanks for the update!

Curt Fuller
01-29-2012, 12:16 AM
That's looking fantastic. It's going to be a family heirloom for sure.

Kathy Marshall
01-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Looks great so far and can only get better when finished and assembled. Ditto on it being a family heirloom and I bet you're scoring some big points with your wife!

Bryan Cowing
01-29-2012, 5:24 AM
Beds are neat to make! Beautiful posts! What lathe have you? Those posts look so long!

John Keeton
01-29-2012, 7:59 AM
Steve, I am majorly impressed!! Great work on the legs - I don't see any variance in them at all. Did you use a template to gauge them?

Also, I am interested in your lathe, as well - lot of length there!

Steve Vaughan
01-29-2012, 1:50 PM
Bryan and John, I've got the NOVA DVR XP and added two extensions. 65" is the max I can turn, and that's the length of these posts. On top, I'll add an additional 4+ inches in height when I get the finials turned. I was able to "afford" the extensions because my wife wanted this bed, so that worked out well. Wished I'd told her I needed a steady rest for those long spindles but that's hindsight now. I'll get that for the next one she wants!:D It worked out fine without it, but they would have been like a third hand.

Yes John, there is some variance but you have to know where to look;) and once you stare at it long enough, it begins to be more noticeable, which I'm ok with. Makes it even more handmade I think.

And Kathy, yes, this is a major score with my wife! I'm thinking when it's all said and done, why I'll be able to get that new shop built:p!

charlie knighton
01-29-2012, 1:56 PM
very nice, great project that is coming along nicely

Ken Glass
01-29-2012, 2:38 PM
Steve,
That is a great looking bed that will be cherished for generations. I assume you will brand/sign it when finished. It is a gift that will truly grow in value with all the family members. I miss building furniture, except when I remember all the back breaking work that goes into it. Way to go. Well Done.

Sid Matheny
01-29-2012, 2:43 PM
A treasure be treasured!

Sid

Michelle Rich
01-29-2012, 3:01 PM
I luv seeing turned furiture, this is grand!