PDA

View Full Version : Holly: A Little Pyro and Dye

Baxter Smith
01-28-2012, 9:18 PM
The key word here is little! :) I have a variety of holly bowls and hollowforms that could be returned and I would like to attempt to decorate a bit. Last fall, Hayes Rutherford posted a birch bowl or two that he had added a colored ring too. I thought something similar would be a good way to start.

The horizontal lines were burned with a wire. I ordered a couple of razortip pens last week and used a skew to do the diagonal lines(just freehand if you can’t tell):rolleyes:. I had heard or read that burning was a good way to contain the dye, so with a small paintbrush, added the green and red transtint mixed with DNA. The original plan was to just alternate green and red. About the time I was thinking, this isn’t going too bad, I suddenly had two reds in a row. Luckily I did it early enough(doesn’t take me long to mess up!:)) so that I could continue the pattern around the bowl. It doesn’t end perfectly but its close enough.
7 x 2.25: 5 coats of Deft Gloss Lacquer(I was just using up a rattle can)Probably should do more.

Now for the questions! Is it possible to burn a similar type ring around the top of a HF or the rim of a bowl or plate to contain dyes? If so, what would be a good method to try?

I purchased the cub woodwriter a little over a year ago so I could just sign my name. No interest in burning anything else. (You know how that goes!) The cub seems to do okay with the skew and ball tip but the shader I picked up seems marginal. Is that just slower anyway or does the cub lack the power to heat that one adequately? Any suggestions for a good place to start looking for pyro information would be appreciated. When my wife saw the box of pens from craft supply arrive, I told her they were hers. She has played with them a bit but I should get her some reading material.;) Thanks!

Thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated!

charlie knighton
01-28-2012, 9:22 PM
very nice, sorry no advice, but acrylic paints are cheap

Brian Effinger
01-28-2012, 9:44 PM
Great bowl Baxter. The color adds a nice element to a good form. As for burning around the rim, I've heard scraps of plastic laminate (like the samples at homey depot or lowes) work well.

Greg Just
01-28-2012, 9:50 PM
Nice bowl Baxter. If you had not mentioned the oops, I would not have noticed. I have done that when I'm burning a basket weave pattern into wood. I really mess up the simple pattern. The mind just looses focus. With regards to burning, I have a Burn Master Hawk. I got it about a year ago and like it. I took a class with Molly Winton and she too recommends the Burnmaster. I her demo, she used really high heat and burned deep to get more texture. There are other systems out there that I'm sure work just as well.

John Keeton
01-29-2012, 7:39 AM
Very nice form, Baxter! I like the band, too. I have used a small, wedge shaped piece of blackwood to burn with, but I understand the laminate scraps are the way to go.

philip labre
01-29-2012, 8:26 AM
Great form, Baxter! Just enough embellishment too. I've used both a wedge of wood and some laminate to burn a ring.

Baxter Smith
01-29-2012, 9:16 AM
very nice, sorry no advice, but acrylic paints are cheap
Thanks Charlie. The acrylic paint is a thought. My wife's only complaint about the dye(at least the one she mentioned) was that it wasn't even enough in depth. She said it looked like some kid used crayons.:) I suppose paint would reduce that look. Was hard enough for me to dye the wood, let alone paint it.;)

Great bowl Baxter. The color adds a nice element to a good form. As for burning around the rim, I've heard scraps of plastic laminate (like the samples at homey depot or lowes) work well.
Thanks Brian! Now that you mention it, I remember reading something about the use of plastic laminate. If I could only remember half of what I have read over the last couple of years I would be happy!

Nice bowl Baxter. If you had not mentioned the oops, I would not have noticed. I have done that when I'm burning a basket weave pattern into wood. I really mess up the simple pattern. The mind just looses focus. With regards to burning, I have a Burn Master Hawk. I got it about a year ago and like it. I took a class with Molly Winton and she too recommends the Burnmaster. I her demo, she used really high heat and burned deep to get more texture. There are other systems out there that I'm sure work just as well.
Thanks Greg. The Burnmaster would be high on the list if I was to do it again, but at the time I had no interest in burning beyond signing my name. Hopefully being cheaper to begin with won't cost me more in the long run. Perhaps the cub will be adequate for what little I try and do.

Very nice form, Baxter! I like the band, too. I have used a small, wedge shaped piece of blackwood to burn with, but I understand the laminate scraps are the way to go.
Thanks John, no blackwood but I do have some laminate so will give it a try!

Great form, Baxter! Just enough embellishment too. I've used both a wedge of wood and some laminate to burn a ring.
Thanks Philip. I had thought about trying additional designs on the rim and around the band but decided I should just KISS it and be done!:)

I knew I had come to the right place for help!

Jim Burr
01-29-2012, 9:27 AM
I have some Corian counter top stuff I sanded down to a wedge. Seems do do the trick. Make sure you make a wide handle for control. I like the bowl and color...really stands out against the holly.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I like it! Just enough design and color to add interest. I also like the dye better than acrylic as you can still see the wood. I would think that acrylic paint could chip at some point because it is just a surface embellishment.

Looking forward to seeing where this color/burn stuff takes you!

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Another Beauty Baxter. I too do wire burning on occasion. I was thinking, for burning the top of a bowl I might try an oyster shucker in a groove made by a skew. They are dull enough to not cut but thin enough to ride in the groove. Let me know if you have anything like this and try it. Another superb turning here my friend.

Michelle Rich
01-29-2012, 3:09 PM
that band is just the right touch!

Peter Elliott
01-29-2012, 3:46 PM
How was Holly to turn? It's pretty hard from what I remember

Baxter Smith
01-29-2012, 11:50 PM
I have some Corian counter top stuff I sanded down to a wedge. Seems do do the trick. Make sure you make a wide handle for control. I like the bowl and color...really stands out against the holly.
Thanks for the suggestion about the corian Jim. I actually have some small pieces left from when I put in the kitchen counters. I knew there was a good reason to be saving them! So what if its been twenty years!

Another Beauty Baxter. I too do wire burning on occasion. I was thinking, for burning the top of a bowl I might try an oyster shucker in a groove made by a skew. They are dull enough to not cut but thin enough to ride in the groove. Let me know if you have anything like this and try it..........
Bill, I have an oyster knife in the kitchen drawer! Since my wife hates raw oysters, I wonder if she is going to ask the usual "Where do you think you are going with that?":eek:

How was Holly to turn? It's pretty hard from what I remember
Holly turns very well Peter. I have used it a lot for my one every couple of months finials. In fact, I just finished one today so will give everyones ideas about burning grooves a try tomorrow!

Thanks again for everyones feedback and suggestions!

Dick Strauss
01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Baxter,
That one has class written all over it. Very nicely done!

Harvey Ghesser
01-30-2012, 2:23 PM
A very nice embellishment to and even nicer formed bowl!

Peter Blair
01-30-2012, 7:13 PM
Very nice Baxter. I too am experimenting with color and pyro. Today I turned a small 7" shallow bowl of Spalted Maple and wanted to do a dark band around the rim. I contoured it a little and tried the scrap of laminate that has been suggested. Either I was doing it wrong or I just don't like the method. It seems that I get some nice dark burn BUT the laminations seem to give darker and lighter lines. I finally added a little 'sharpie' and was satisfied with the end product. I do have some Corian and some lignum vitae which I think I''l cut into small wedges and try next time. Here's a phone snapshot of the final line . . .

Baxter Smith
01-30-2012, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the additional thoughts!

Peter, your line looks good. Thanks for the picture and explanation of what you tried. I wonder what role spalted wood had in line inconsistency. I thought I was going to do some experimenting this afternoon and evening but I must have left my ambition at the endodontist today.
(Along with a whole lot of what could have been turning paraphenalia!):rolleyes: