PDA

View Full Version : Fire/ Heat Resistant Materials

Bryan Oates
01-28-2012, 9:12 PM
I'm looking for a rigid material that is fire proof and high heat resistant that can be laser cut. It will need to withstand direct fire contact. Thickness would need to be somewhere around 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Does anyone know if there is a material within these specs?

Thanks in advance

Rodne Gold
01-28-2012, 9:45 PM
I can't think of a suitable material *your* laser will cut , Stainless steel can be laser cut and will comply to your requirements tho.

Bryan Oates
01-28-2012, 9:51 PM
Yes on the stainless steel. Trying to stay in house though and wanting to stay away from metals on this project. I haven't been able to come up with anything suitable either. The search continues.

Joe Pelonio
01-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I'd be real surprised if there is a fire resistant material that can be cut with a CO2 laser, it just
doesn't seem logical.

Doug Griffith
01-29-2012, 12:59 AM
I've managed to cut .060" thick mica sheet with my 45 watt laser. It was very slow and a sloppy cut since it melted like glass. It's rigid but also fragile.

Dan Hintz
01-29-2012, 9:01 AM
Bryan,

You're asking for conflicting properties in a material. Unless you're willing to accept a huge disadvantage in one property or another, you'll need to send it out of house.