PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with AutoCad

Darina Pinskaya
03-17-2005, 5:21 PM
We just got Pinnacle M-40 . We need to cut acrylic plastics using Autocad R14. Obviously doing something wrong because we are not able to send file to lazer buffer.
Message is "trying to send" but application hangs.

If anybody uses autocad with Pinnacle M-series lazer please help!

Thanks
Alex

Rodne Gold
03-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Instead of sending in acad , its far easier to import the acad drawing into Corel (11 or 12 imports Acad14 perfectly) and print from there.

We do use 14 for lasering stuff but its not the easiest way to do things and diagnosing why you are hanging is almost impossible without knowing all the settings ,seeing the graphic and looking at your acad cfg file.

Jerry Allen
03-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I haven't used AutoCad in years. I'm assuming you're using 2K or higher. Plotter drivers as I recall need to be configured for AutoCad. I use Helix MicroCadam. Generally I just use the Helix Windows GDI driver which passes the file to my M25 using the Pinnacle/Laserpro Windows driver. I also have it configured to print direct through various HPGL drivers. I'm assuming you have some HPGL drivers which there should be in your AutoCad package. But that requires a lot more work setting up pen widths etc. If you have a Windows GDI printer driver, I recommend using it.
There are AutoCad/GCC users on this site so if you wait I'm sure you'll get some better answers.

Kevin Huffman
03-18-2005, 9:41 AM
Hello American Dash,
Here is a little document that could probably help.

Darina Pinskaya
03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your help. I tried to use Corell Version 9 to open my AutoCad diagrams. No problem here. But when I was trying to send files to M40 I get the same problem...it hangs.
Printing status displays "error while sending file to printer".

As per Jerry's recommendation- I do not know how to configure AutoCad plotter driver. Maybe somebody can help.

Jerry where can I get Helix Windows GDI driver and how exactly should I configure it? I am using Windows XP.

I tried to install HASP Drivers from Pinnacle CD. Installation went OK, but it still hangs while sending file to the Lazer.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Ken Salisbury
03-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Alex,

First let me welcome you to Sawmill Creek.

However, it should be noted:

In order to be a boni fide member of Saw Mill Creek the Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) require you to use a real first and last name. Please send a private message to Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Jerry Allen
03-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Dash,
The Helix Windows GDI will not work with AutoCAD.
I only use Helix to generate complex vector graphics that would take longer in Corel. Plotting from Helix is a real pain. Corel is your best bet for output. I create my files in Helix, export to .dxf and import the .dxf into Corel 12 which is the best .dxf import in Corel Draw so far. I only do this for things I need real accurate like clock gears, etc.
The Windows driver that came with your engraver is way easier to setup and use.

It sounds to me like your problem is computer hardware/software in nature.
The first thing I would check is your BIOS parallel port setting and make sure it is set to ECP and not SPP. If your printer cable is old there is a possiblity that it is wired weird. Some older printer cables were missing ground or control wires, or had strange alternate wirings. The cable could also have some open circuits. Try using a new cable or one that you know worked on a newer printer that uses parallel ECP. It should also be no more than eight feet although the one I use is ten feet with no problem. Which reminds me, if your computer is an old hunk of junk, it may have low TTL output levels, which I would say is the least likely, but not impossible.

I would highly recommend updating to Corel 12. It has superior .dxf import and many other things that make it valuable when working with your engraver. You should be able to get an upgrade for $129 by searching the net.

What type of port are you using for printing, parallel or serial?
What operating system are you using?

Darina Pinskaya
03-20-2005, 5:27 PM
Thank you Jerry.

We got it to work with CAD.

Per your recommendation we changed cable (we use parallel port)and also changed COM port BIOS setting.

It was by-directional and we changed it ECP. It works now with a Mercury Print Driver.

Thanks again!!

Jerry Allen
03-20-2005, 6:45 PM
Great. Glad to hear it.
You don't really need to worry about your COM port settings because you are using the parallel port.
I highly recommend learning to transfer your files to Corel. And upgrading Corel.