PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Bench Plane - Identification Quest

Peter Pedisich
01-28-2012, 4:36 PM
Hi, I saw this in a friends shop, and never having seen a plane so small, I asked if I could borrow it to take some pics to post here.

I would appreciate any help identifying it. I'm pretty sure it's not a Stanley #1, but it may be a inexpensive copy or a children's plane, although it would only fit the hand of a 5 year old at most.

Thanks for any help!

Pete

Peter Pedisich
01-28-2012, 4:37 PM
more pics...

Matt Radtke
01-28-2012, 4:49 PM
I dunno, that sure looks like a Stanley No.1. Is there anything stamped on the adjuster?

Charles Bjorgen
01-28-2012, 4:55 PM
You seem sure it's not a Stanley. According to Patrick's Blood and Gore site there were a few copies made of the Stanley no. 1 plane. He mentions some thoughts on those on his site.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm

Peter Pedisich
01-28-2012, 4:59 PM
Matt, I looked under a magnifying lamp, and the only mark I can find on the entire plane is a letter 'B' cast into the base between the frog and tote. The letter is about 3/8" high, though I have not measured it.
The rear tote looks like rosewood, but I could be mistaken.

Peter Pedisich
01-28-2012, 5:09 PM
Thanks Charles, I have been to Patrick's site, and the depth adj wheel is indeed solid brass without a depression, and it traverses a threaded stud that is parallel to the sole, not tilted up. But is does not say Stanley anywhere on the plane, just the 'B' cast into the sole and the underside of the frog.
Maybe it is an Ohio Tool #1?

David Turner
01-28-2012, 5:22 PM
Peter:

I have a Stanley #1 bench plane, type #8 (1899-1902). It is exactly as you describe.....The only markings other than on the blade, is the letter B about 3/8" high between the frog and the front edge of the rear tote. For comparison, mine is 1 1/2" wide x 5 7/16" long not incuding the extension that is under the rear tote. The blade is 1 3/16" wide. The lever cap is also 1 3/16" wide and has a B as part of the casting on the bottom. If there is any other measurement or information you would like off of mine, let me know.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Sean Richards
01-28-2012, 5:23 PM
Thanks Charles, I have been to Patrick's site, and the depth adj wheel is indeed solid brass without a depression, and it traverses a threaded stud that is parallel to the sole, not tilted up. But is does not say Stanley anywhere on the plane, just the 'B' cast into the sole and the underside of the frog.
Maybe it is an Ohio Tool #1?

'B' casting marks make it sound more like a Stanley ...

Deane Allinson
01-28-2012, 5:33 PM
Nice plane! Dido on the "B" casting thought. Too bad you can't keep it?????
Deane

Matthew N. Masail
01-28-2012, 5:37 PM
I love cute little things like that. would be nice to see it rehabed. is it still savable?

Justin Green
01-28-2012, 7:35 PM
I have one as well, given to me by my grandmother. It is just as yours is, sans the letter B cast into the bed. The mouth on mine is chipped, but otherwise it is in good shape.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2012, 8:40 PM
It wasn't until 1902 that the Bailey name was included on Stanley bench planes.

There may be other marks covered by rust.

There might be a patent mark on the cap iron. Not sure if it was being used at the time this one was made. There may also be a mark on the blade.

The original blade for this plane would likely have the 1892 patent date even though the #1 never had a lateral adjuster.

They are a handy plane at times, but not real necessary to the shop. For some reason or another people who collect planes love this one and will pay silly amounts to own one.

This plane comes to mind often when making shavings to start a fire. My mind wonders if people traveling the highways and byways a century or more ago may have carried one of these as a convenient way to make shavings for starting a camp fire. It was about the smallest plane one could find in a regular hardware store back then.

jtk

James Taglienti
01-29-2012, 5:07 PM
Its a stanley # 1, im sure of it. They never said stanley or no. 1 on the body. Clean the top of the cutter where it sticks out of the chipbreaker and youll see who made it. No fun to use but surely saleable for a whole bunch of goood stuff!

Justin Green
01-29-2012, 5:17 PM
On my chip breaker, it says L. Bailey's, Patent, Dec 24, 1867. It is rather faint, but I will try and post a picture later. You might miss it if there is some "patina" built up.

I cannot figure out how to upload pics from an iPad yet.

Peter Pedisich
01-29-2012, 8:12 PM
Its a stanley # 1, im sure of it. They never said stanley or no. 1 on the body. Clean the top of the cutter where it sticks out of the chipbreaker and youll see who made it. No fun to use but surely saleable for a whole bunch of goood stuff!

James,

I was not sure how far I should go as its not my plane, so I took a toothbrush with a little camellia oil and scrubbed it and then wiped with alcohol. It does not reproduce well here, but under a magnifying lamp it clearly says STANLEY on the top line, and PAT A_ ___ thats all I can make out.

Thanks everyone for your help and info!!

Peter Pedisich
01-29-2012, 8:51 PM
I have uploaded hi-res images to Picasa:

High Resolution Picture Album on Picasa (https://picasaweb.google.com/102981472942866443292/StanleyNo1?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOGguLu5yprmxQE&feat=directlink)

Jim Koepke
01-29-2012, 8:53 PM
STANLEY on the top line, and PAT A_ ___ thats all I can make out.

That is the April 1892 patent for the hole at the bottom of the blade instead of at the top. Even though the #1 never had a lateral adjuster, it still had the patent information on the blade.

jtk

Peter Pedisich
01-29-2012, 9:17 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Chris Vandiver
01-29-2012, 9:40 PM
Of course it goes without saying that, given the plane's value, any rehabbing should be done with extreme caution.

Peter Pedisich
01-30-2012, 1:38 AM
Peter:

I have a Stanley #1 bench plane, type #8 (1899-1902). It is exactly as you describe.....The only markings other than on the blade, is the letter B about 3/8" high between the frog and the front edge of the rear tote. For comparison, mine is 1 1/2" wide x 5 7/16" long not incuding the extension that is under the rear tote. The blade is 1 3/16" wide. The lever cap is also 1 3/16" wide and has a B as part of the casting on the bottom. If there is any other measurement or information you would like off of mine, let me know.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Thanks very much, David, that was very helpful.

Joshua Clark
01-30-2012, 11:49 PM
The "B" foundry mark dates to about 1899-1902 which coincides nicely with your blade which is a "TmQ" dating to 1891-1904. The full text of the logo should read: "Stanley PAT.AP'L19.92"

That's a No. 1 for sure.

Josh