PDA

View Full Version : New (old,used) Table Saw

David Fried
03-17-2005, 3:33 PM
I finally upgraded my portable Bosch table saw. I've been looking for a used saw and finally found one. The serial number indicates it's a 1944 model. With the Powermatic fence I'm not sure what to call it: a Unimatic or a Powersaw? Now to start adjusted, aligning, and cleaning! I hope to have it making sawdust by the weekend.

lou sansone
03-17-2005, 3:48 PM
excellent

when I started in WW I bought a lot of new equipemnt. I have been selling it as I find old iron like this ( maybe not as rough ) and buying the old iron. I still owe all of you creekers some more "shop tours" and you will see some of the "big lugs" I have picked up.

Enjoy the saw

lou

Stephen Dixon
03-17-2005, 3:50 PM
Looks like a great find. Just paint it green and it can become a general powersaw :D , or a unimatic general saw :D :D , or a powerunisaw general :D :D :D , or even a generalmatic poweruni saw, :D :D :D :D . It is Saint Patti's Day after all.

Steve

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 4:08 PM
Congrats on the find. With some elbow grease she should really look great!

David Fried
03-17-2005, 6:21 PM
Just for fun I wired it up and tried the nickel test. It worked!! I'm amazed it didn't fall down but I must be getting old because getting the nickel to stand on it's edge was really tough! :D

Tyler Howell
03-17-2005, 6:32 PM
Will somebody please take the nickel out of Stephen!:D

Congrats David. Call it what ever you want.

scott spencer
03-17-2005, 9:22 PM
Great find! It has a unique color and ancestry! Enjoy....you'll have it looking brand new in no time. I'll bet "Bart" will have some pointers for you.

David Fried
03-17-2005, 9:52 PM
Great find! It has a unique color and ancestry! Enjoy....you'll have it looking brand new in no time. I'll bet "Bart" will have some pointers for you.

Yes, I expect I'll drive Bart darn near crazy! He did a really nice job with his. Sorry I didn't post a picture of the back. Looks like they painted something red, something black, and something white but didn't through a tarp over the saw - drips everywhere!

At least the inside is clean, the top is flat, the fence is square, and it works!!!

James Boster
03-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Congrats, but be very careful!!! The old iron addiction can really get into your bloodstream if your not carefull.:D If you get "it" be prepared to build a BIG shop for your collection. Good luck with clean up, I'm sure you won't regret.

Bart Leetch
03-18-2005, 1:13 AM
Wow real cool lookin old arn.

Which motor do you have?

Gads I'm droolin & startin to shake already, I got it real bad... :eek: Are you sure you wanta keep that saw? Its dangerous in more ways than one & you don't even have to turn it on.

Well now to start HOW FAR DO YOU WANT TO GO ???

I didn't worry to much about the inside. The bearings were free & worked ok so I left them alone. I try not to fix something thats not broken.

I used scotch bright & WD 40 to get rid of the little rust then a ROS down to 220 grit & polished it right up. Then Johnson's paste wax 3 coats.

Its funny Dads lap sided, uninsulated shop in Washington was only heated by wood when he was in the shop. He always used Johnson's paste wax & his 50 year old tools still have no rust to this day.

I used a ROS & sanded the cabinet down to bare metal & sprayed light grey primer & Ace Hardware brand medium Grey for paint.

I've seen the cast iron base done in light grey or black. I have a small HF sand blaster that I used to blast the base. I didn't use it on the cabinet because it would have left a rougher surface. I used paint stripper on the hand wheels & then using narrow blue masking tape which I cut into 1/3's so I could stretch & bend it as I taped out the wheels & primed & painted them.

There is the start you'll have to choose your colors. I was going to paint the base & hand wheels black but at the last minute I decided I wanted a Little more color.

Good luck & keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-18-2005, 9:53 AM
Very cool find....I finally found a 50's Uni, but since I already had the Grizzly, we took it to Lamar's shop. You'll have to update us when you get it all polished and painted....

David Fried
03-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Which motor do you have?

The Delta tag on the end of the motor reads as follows:

Rep. Ind. Motor
Cat No. DE 85010
1725 RPM
1 HP
Frame 180
110/220 Volts
11.8/5.9 Amps

It came wired for 220 volts.

Are you sure you wanta keep that saw?

Pretty sure. The two biggest problems I had with my little Bosch were the warped table top and the rickety fence. The top on this one is flat. I couldn't get a feeler gauge blade under the straight edge anywhere. It even cleaned up nice with just a little pitting to the left rear of the throat opening. The fence is what sold me me on this one over the others I looked at. (That and it fit my limited, inflexible budget. I thought I would be happier with used equipment like this than a new contractors saw).

Well now to start HOW FAR DO YOU WANT TO GO ???

In the end, it's just a saw. I want to use it not create a museum piece.

First I want to live with it and learn what's important to me. I expect any changes will occur in bursts over time.

I've already noticed that it's quite a reach to the on/off switch so I doubt I'll try to restore that. Instead I'll look into something more modern, located conveniently, possible with the large stop paddle.

The splitter binds a little and the blade guard doesn't seem quite straight. That might be repaired or replaced. ((Suggestions?)

There is the start you'll have to choose your colors. I was going to paint the base & hand wheels black but at the last minute I decided I wanted a Little more color.

I haven't given color too much thought yet. I have always liked the white of Jet equipment or I could go the pink with flowers route!:D

Good luck & keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

Will Do.