PDA

View Full Version : How often do you turn?

Bill Wyko
01-28-2012, 4:23 PM
I got to thinking about it. I spend a lot of time in the shop either gluing up segments or turning. Probably at least 2 to3 nights during the week and at least one day a week on the weekends. How about you guys, are you that deep in th Vortex?

Richard Allen
01-28-2012, 4:27 PM
I am currently at the 15 to 20 hour a week level. For the first three years I was at the 50+ hours a week level.

Deane Allinson
01-28-2012, 4:33 PM
I'm jealous! I get about 4 hours a weekend if I'm lucky, and sometimes have to got several weeks with no shop time at all.
Deane

Brian Effinger
01-28-2012, 5:19 PM
That's easy Bill - Not nearly enough. :( If it were all averaged out, I'd say only 2 hours a week, at most. I too can go several weeks without turning anything. I might actually get to do some this weekend, after I clean the shop up from Christmas turning. Right now, I think my shop would make Keeton cry. :eek:

Scott Hackler
01-28-2012, 5:31 PM
Normally I spend at least 1 evening during the week and 3-4 hours min on a weekend day, but I haven't turned the lathe on since December 15th (day before my carpal tunnel surgery). :( My hand is taking its sweet time fully healing and although I am doing physical things, I have other obligations to finish before going out into the shop.

Sid Matheny
01-28-2012, 5:45 PM
Not as much as I want but as much as my health lets me.

Sid

Greg Just
01-28-2012, 5:48 PM
Usually a couple of hours during the week and 2-3 on Sat and Sunday. I do more in the winter and summer and less in the spring and fall.

Peter Lamb
01-28-2012, 6:16 PM
Retired almost and turn/ finish 20-30 hours per week

Bill Neddow
01-28-2012, 6:25 PM
This makes me realize how lucky I am. I turn about 350 days a year, about 4 hours a day. The intensity is down from when I was doing production turning. Then, I was turning 6 to 7 hours a day. I realized on Christmas day how deeply I was into the vortex. I was out in the sh[p turning. Luckily the shop is on the ground floor of our house between the garage and the family room -- so I only have to step through a door to see the family.

John Keeton
01-28-2012, 6:29 PM
Depends week to week, and season. In the summer, I like to be outside so not as much. During bow season and spring turkey season, I am hunting. In the fall/winter/early summer, probably 20-25 hours/week, sometimes more if we don't have weekend activities going.

Brian, if the drive wasn't so far, I would do a shop inspection!!:D I just finished up a few that I had been working on, and cleaned up the shop, so I am ready to start another the first of the week.

Russell Eaton
01-28-2012, 6:59 PM
Right now 20+ hours a week. I am fixing to start a shop and have a climate controlled area to turn. That will be nice in the summer and winter.

Patrick Doody
01-28-2012, 7:04 PM
I get out there a few nights a week and usually 4-6 hours on a weekend. With a toddler running around I usually only get out there after 8 on a week night and turn 8-11ish. I feel like I'm in the shop mentally more than that, so I always have a few projects planned out b4 I get out there. Spring time I'm troutin' so not much time in the shop then

Mike Peace
01-28-2012, 8:08 PM
I probably do some turning or finishing 4-5 days a week, probably 2 -4 hours a day. I probably spend at least as much time time participating in other turning related activities such as woodturning forums, reading about turning, attending chapter meetings (3 clubs) or chapter officer duties, shop visits or attending symposiums. I guess I am into the vortex pretty deep!

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-28-2012, 8:12 PM
It's different for me all the time, I always seem to have to many irons in the fire. But I try to get in at least 12 hrs a week of either turning or finishing. I still have a regular day job that gets in the way a lot

Baxter Smith
01-28-2012, 8:22 PM
Being retired without too many responsibilities, its often as much as I want. Somedays it may be off and on between 6 AM and midnight, other days not at all. There aren't many days I am not in the shop for a couple of hours at least.

Bob Bergstrom
01-28-2012, 8:30 PM
Retired. Turn everyday I'm home. Usually 4to 5 hours a day. Almost all bowls.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-28-2012, 8:34 PM
Retired. Turn everyday I'm home. Usually 4to 5 hours a day.
Thanks for not rubbing it in Bob.:p

James Combs
01-28-2012, 8:39 PM
Being retired without too many responsibilities, its often as much as I want. Somedays it may be off and on between 6 AM and midnight, other days not at all. There aren't many days I am not in the shop for a couple of hours at least.

I could almost ditto Baxter's comments except I am rarely up and around till... 9am or so, then it's eaten breakfast time. After about 9:30 Baxter's comments fit me.

Harry Robinette
01-28-2012, 8:50 PM
I'm in the shop about 3 to 4 hrs a day 3 or 4 days a week sometimes longer. The LOML usually works Saturday so I'm down in the shop around 7 or 8 hrs most Saturdays. And Sundays the same if she works. Now you have to understand I do allot of different things I work medal, wood and am teaching myself Hot Glass which I just started.

Donny Lawson
01-28-2012, 9:55 PM
I try to get out there 2-3 evenings a week for about 2hrs or so and most all weekend if I'm at home. When I first wake up on Saturday morning I start to thinking what I'm gonna make or do out in the shop today. That's all that I think about on the weekend. If me and my family go to eat or to the store I cannot wait to get back home to get to my shop and do something. Yes, its an addiction but at least its a good one.

Brian Effinger
01-28-2012, 9:57 PM
Brian, if the drive wasn't so far, I would do a shop inspection!!:D I just finished up a few that I had been working on, and cleaned up the shop, so I am ready to start another the first of the week.
It might be a good thing that you are so far away. I've been catching up on what has happend over the last 6 months here on SMC, and read about what happend with your ticker. I'd feel really bad having to call 911 after you passed out from seeing my shop. :D
By the way - glad to see you're still with us on this side of the grass. :)

Ken Glass
01-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Bill,
I'm retired like Baxter, so I turn part of most days in the winter and the other Hobbies occupy my time in the Spring thru late Fall. I find about 3-4 hours daily is all I want to turn, as I start to wear out easily and make mistakes.

Ronald Campbell
01-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I almost hate to post this. If I am home I turn at least 45 hours per week. Yes I am retired and have nothing else to do. I also realize I have nothing else to do and I have a great deal to learn. I have never posted before on this forum and never a photo. Hope soon to be to the level I can post a photo. I will put in the hours when I am home. Right now I am on my wan to Az to a sawmill for burls.

Harvey Ghesser
01-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I work full time at a hospital three days a week and twelve hours a day so I have four days off a week. I turn (or am in the shop) about 30 hours a week average. It's an addiction I wish more people had.

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Ronald, I'm in Tucson. Stop in if you're going to be in town.

I almost hate to post this. If I am home I turn at least 45 hours per week. Yes I am retired and have nothing else to do. I also realize I have nothing else to do and I have a great deal to learn. I have never posted before on this forum and never a photo. Hope soon to be to the level I can post a photo. I will put in the hours when I am home. Right now I am on my wan to Az to a sawmill for burls.

Bill Wyko
01-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I guess if I count the lost sleep designing segmented turnings in my head, I could ad 40 or so hours a week too. LMAO Puzzles in the brain. What's ironic is, I was terrible at Geometry in HS and my wood shop teacher beat the crap out of me and other students regularly.

Kathy Marshall
01-29-2012, 12:58 AM
I usually turn about 5 hours a night during the week, and between 8-12 hours a day on the weekends. I do take an occasional day off from turning and of course once a month I lose some time on Saturday due to our club meeting. I can only imagine how much time I would spend turning if I didn't work full time :eek:

Alan Trout
01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
If I could I would be in the shop every every day. But in reality I might get one or two nights a week if I am lucky, and maybe 8 to 10 hours on the weekends.

Alan