PDA

View Full Version : If you give a man a lathe... (long)

Raymond Overman
03-17-2005, 3:24 PM
My daughter has a very cute book called If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I thought I'd write a little something in the same style for us woodturner's. No offense to the women turners out there. I just cobbled this together quickly. Replace man with woman as needed.

If You Give A Man A Lathe

If you give a man a lathe, he's going to want a chainsaw to go with it.
If you give him a chainsaw he's going to want to go find a tree to use it on.
If he cuts up the tree and hauls it back to the house, he's going to need somewhere to store it.
That will be in your back yard.
If he stores the logs, he'll eventually get around to cutting them up into bowl blanks with his chainsaw.
When he cuts them up, he'll soak the ends in wax and need somewhere dry to store them.
He'll want to build a shelter.
So he'll build a shelter to put all his blanks under.
He'll pace anxiously waiting for the blanks to dry so he can put them on his lathe.
He'll get impatient.
He'll then need to use your computer to look up bowl blank drying processes on the Internet.
He'll find a half dozen different techniques and have to try them all.
Finally he'll make a decision as to which one he likes best, and 1 out of every 3 times it will fail leaving him with cracked blanks.
He'll be very upset.
You'll have to console him.
He'll go out to his shop and turn some more bowls that turn out good.
He'll be proud of himself.
He'll want you to look at every single piece he makes.
He'll want feedback.
He'll build a website to show off his work and talk to people he doesn't know on the Internet about it.
He'll want feedback.
He'll turn more and more bowls, vases, platters, boxes, what knots.
He'll want to sell them and swear that he can make enough money to cover the costs of his tools.
He'll then want to join a Woodturner's Club (read "Support Group") so that he can share his woes with them and show off his successes.
He'll ask for $30, then he'll need $40 more for AAW membership.
After he joins the group he'll see that he needs more tools so he'll buy a bandsaw, and some chisels, and a buffing system, and a sharpening system.
He may even get so carried away that he buys something that needs 220V single phase and have to get his shop re-wired.
When he gets his bandsaw he'll be able to produce more and more blanks so he'll try to find more trees.
When he finds more trees he'll use his chainsaw to cut them up into managable chunks.
He'll bring them home.
They'll be much larger than his lathe can handle so he'll cut them up in blanks.
And chances are, they'll still be larger than his lathe will handle.
And if the blanks are still too large, he's going to ask you for a bigger lathe.

Raymond Overman

Dawn Sunkle
03-17-2005, 3:54 PM
hehehe.. too cute
And what a true story... you can sub any of my crafts into that and well... yeah.. thats me to a T.

Thanks for sharing.
Dawn

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 4:01 PM
That is cute, you can sub just about any hobby into that. My wife likes to stamp cards and such. Her purchases have been as costly as mine, but her's won't last near as long either.

Gary Max
03-17-2005, 6:47 PM
Where is my sign------I let my wife read this at the same time as I did.
There should be some kind of warning sign.

Jerry Clark
03-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Yea we may need something like R rated!:rolleyes:

Ed Lang
03-18-2005, 8:07 AM
Last night I went the the Richmond Woodturners meeting..... Paid my dues and have decided to send dues into AAW tomorrow. Have Jet Mini and want larger lathe. Have had chain saw but want more trees! I would say that this is spot on for me.

Great rewrite.

Andy Hoyt
12-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Raymond - Thanks for providing the link to this.

This is great and oh so very true.

Bouncing it back up because it deserves it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Raymond how funny but yet true. My wife stood behind me and just said ho ho ho!

Ernie Nyvall
12-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Yup, my bigger lathe is coming next week. Got my bigger chainsaw two weeks ago. hee hee hee

Very good Raymond.

Ernie

John Nicholas
12-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Wow! Pegged me in several places. Just got the chain saw. Already had the band saw. Wood all over. Lots of it cracking. :cool:

Some chunks too big for my 1936 vintage lathe --- looking at a bigger one. 220 v line in the garage???? :rolleyes:

:) :) ;)

John

John Hart
12-19-2005, 7:13 AM
Thanks for bumping this up Andy...didn't see it before! Great itemization Raymond.....so very true.:o :D

Raymond Overman
12-19-2005, 7:49 AM
The funny thing is, when I wrote that I thought that was close to the end of the list. It's just the beginning. Add:

the carving chisels
the wood burner
the chainsaw mill
the sharpening station
the bowl coring rig
the hollowing tools
the captured hollowing rig
the laser captured hollowing rig
the cole jaws
the longworth chuck
the faceplates
the vacuum chuck
the bowl steady
the full steady rest
the pen mandrels and 20 different sets of bushings
the stopper mandrel
the steb centers
the Trend Airshield
the dust collector
the books and videos
consumables such as sandpaper and danish oil
and Australian Red Mallee burl by the truckload! :)

I'm glad I'm a patient man. If I wasn't I would have one heckuva credit card bill and probably some paperwork that my wife wanted me to sign.

John Hart
12-19-2005, 8:02 AM
I'm glad I'm a patient man. If I wasn't I would have one heckuva credit card bill and probably some paperwork that my wife wanted me to sign.

Yup...me too. I don't buy anything I can't pay for out of my pocket. I t limits me on some of the big stuff....but sure incites some innovation from time to time. In the end....I have more fun! :) :)

Great List Raymond!

David Pettibone
12-19-2005, 8:38 AM
Your killing me dude. I just "gave" my chainsaw to a good friend last summer (05) after cutting down my last tree in the backyard (the dreaded cottonwood). I've just bought a DVD from Steven Russell at the Woodshow in Novi, Michigan.

I obviously didn't think this thing through!!!!!!!!!! It was suggested to me years ago, to start small and go big if you really like it. I can't afford to go big for quite a while (Michigan....economy....jobs....little money..etc.) trust me. I did get some lathe tools for free from a friend with a shopsmith that never used that part of the machine. The extension base for the delta midi was free because of an offer going on during that period. Buy the lathe and get either an extension base or a set of six tools.

But pretty much everything else you've listed I will have to work on. Your right, that $90 dollars is going to be built upon, but I'm not in any hurry. I just want to have some fun with it for awhile and see what I can make. My last turning was in 1980, my high school graduation year (I am old!!!). Thanks for the laugh and whoever said a warning sign was needed was right on the money. Thanks for the laughs!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

Gratefully, David