PDA

View Full Version : Mouse overs

Keith Westfall
01-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Is it just me or has something changed at the creek?

It used to be that I could "mouse over" a thread topic and it would come up and stay as I read to see if I wanted to continue on. No when I mouse over, it flashes up for about a second and then disappears again. Used to be handy - now it's frustrating.

klw

mike holden
01-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Might be just you, still works the same for me. Have you changed your mouse settings recently? I find if I move the mouse, the popup disappears and I have to move completely away and then back for it to reappear.
Mike

Keith Outten
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Keith,

There haven't been any changes to our mouse-over settings but I asked Aaron Koehl to fix them over a year ago to make only the text active. There are times when i only want to read the thread listings and the dang mouse-over keeps activating which is frustrating. Aaron is scheduled to be here in my shop sometime today, maybe I can finally get this change made. :(

Rick Moyer
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
intersting that there are different situations. Mine stays for 5 seconds and then I have to move it away and come back. That's generally enough to get the gist of the content, though. I seem to remember it always being that way. Is this a function of our individual mouse settings I wonder?

Greg Peterson
01-28-2012, 1:29 PM
I've been researching to see if there is a browser setting that the user can set to control the interval. So far nothing for Chrome or Firefox. I get about five seconds in Chrome and then the mouse over goes away.

And I agree that it would be nice to have the popup appear only on mouse over of text.

Shaun Mahood
01-28-2012, 1:35 PM
I don't think that individual mouse settings should affect that - more likely it is something in the way your web browser is understanding the mouse over code on the website. My first guess would be that your browser has updated itself, and changed how it is interpreting the code. Similar programming I have done at work is treated differently by Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, and differently by different versions of the browsers as well.

Bruce Page
01-28-2012, 1:36 PM
intersting that there are different situations. Mine stays for 5 seconds and then I have to move it away and come back. That's generally enough to get the gist of the content, though. I seem to remember it always being that way. Is this a function of our individual mouse settings I wonder?

That’s interesting. It stays up for me until I move the mouse away.

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 4:19 PM

5 seconds is not enough for me 5x3= 15 works better

Brian Effinger
01-28-2012, 5:13 PM
Keith,

There haven't been any changes to our mouse-over settings but I asked Aaron Koehl to fix them over a year ago to make only the text active. There are times when i only want to read the thread listings and the dang mouse-over keeps activating which is frustrating. Aaron is scheduled to be here in my shop sometime today, maybe I can finally get this change made. :(

That is a good idea, Keith. I'd like to add to that - keep the pop-up open until the mouse moves from the text. The few seconds it is up just isn't long enough for some threads.

Jim Matthews
01-28-2012, 5:46 PM
I thought Mouse-overs were what you made when you ran out of Possum (the Other, other-white meat).

jim
wpt, ma
(where we'll eveb eat eggs that shoot right out the backside of a chicken)

Jim O'Dell
01-28-2012, 9:28 PM
Still works for me. I get a few lines of the start of the thread, no attachments. Stays up as long as I don't move the arrow out of the field. I'm on FireFox 4.0.1 Won't upgrade until the addons catch up to the newer versions. What browser are you using, and have you updated it recently? Jim.

Paul Saffold
01-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Same as Jim O'. Mine stays on 'till I move the arrow. I've got the latest FireFox. Paul

Keith Westfall
01-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm in Firefox 9.0.1

Always worked (stayed until mouse was moved) until just a few day ago. Something may have updated itself to cause me a problem.

Why do things have to change????

klw

Curt Harms
01-29-2012, 9:22 AM
Still works for me. I get a few lines of the start of the thread, no attachments. Stays up as long as I don't move the arrow out of the field. I'm on FireFox 4.0.1 Won't upgrade until the addons catch up to the newer versions. What browser are you using, and have you updated it recently? Jim.

Sorry for this hijack but Jim you might want to check on FireFox 4's security updates -- there aren't any and haven't been for months. Here's an article
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217837/Mozilla_retires_Firefox_4_from_security_support
If you're not using it for anything important it may not matter. I'm up to FireFox 10 on Linux and it seems most add-ons work. There was a problem for developers when Mozilla moved to the 'rapid release model' or whatever they call it. Developers are apparently encouraged to write apps that are not version specific.

Myk Rian
01-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Keith,

I hate the darned mouse over.

Myk Rian
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I know of a way to choose to have the mouse-over or not, if vBulletin is setup for it.
In User CP and in Edit Options Check the "Disable Preview Tooltips"

Forum Display Options

Disable Thread Preview Tooltip in Forum Display

Compact View of Thread Prefixes (No Additional Column)

Disable Thread Age in Forum Display ("... days old")

Disable Thread Thumbnails in FS/W forums

Disable Social Media Buttons

Bill Edwards(2)
01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
IE times out!

It can be changed in regedit

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827