PDA

View Full Version : Color fill on wood pens

Bill Gailey
01-28-2012, 11:14 AM
I have recently been working with a couple of custom pen turners that want to add colorfill to the engraving before sealing the pens. What do you recommend for a good fill that will standup to the sealer and finishing. It is weird to me that once the pens are filled, sealed and finished you can't tell that they were ever engraved. Doesn't matter to me as long as I get to do the engraving.

Mike Berndt
01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
I have used rub n buff and the minwax colored wood fillers with good success and results.

Dan Hintz
01-28-2012, 4:21 PM
Depends upon how they want to seal it... 'twere it me, I'd probably go with a dyed CA glue, like what they use to put Corian slabs together.

Martin Boekers
01-28-2012, 6:14 PM
There are many options besides standard fills, you may want to check out the turning area on SMC
and see what others use. Here is a site that has crushed metals and stone if they want to bump it
up a class.

www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Decorative_Materials___Inlay_Materials?Args=&page_number=1 (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Decorative_Materials___Inlay_Materials?Args=&page_number=1)

Marty

Mike Null
01-29-2012, 8:53 AM
In my opinion they're putting the cart before the horse.

George M. Perzel
01-29-2012, 9:28 AM
Hi Bill;
I agree with Mike-why finish after engraving and fill. Much easier for a turner to do the whole job, including finishing, on the lathe and then engrave the name/design. Easiest fill is a bit of Elmer's wood filler-white and various wood colors. Dye the white with acrylic paint for colors. Rub it on with your finger , wait about 23 seconds and wipe off-then buff when dry. Retains the colorfill look and also the engraved look.
Cheers
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts