PDA

View Full Version : Problem with cutting one shape

dave hensley
01-28-2012, 8:18 AM
Hi all,

I've got a problem that's driving me crazy! My laser won't cut out the shape in the attached file.... or to be more precise, it will only cut it out once. This shape is part of a set for several shapes in one job. It actually has to cut this out twice and it cuts the first, but not the second and I can't figure out why. I've completely recreated it, copied it to a new document, but nothing. If I change the line to blue, it will etch the outline but I can't get it to cut it. When I try, the laser head never even moves when I press start.

I am on a ULS 3.50 with the latest software and besides this, I've had no other problems. Any ULS owners out there willing to try and cut this for me to see if it's just my machine? :)

Thanks!
Dave

Mark Sipes
01-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Not a ULS owner but if this is the only file you are having problems with it is not the machine...... I have run into files that were provided to me that just did stange things that were not on the screen......

I tried to open cdr but just got a blank page....... might be my version of Corel (9) (have never found a resson to upgrade)

Gary Hair
01-28-2012, 11:59 AM
You have a line width of .50003 pt - my laser driver sees anything more than a hairline as something to raster, not vector.

dave hensley
01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. The line is set to 'hairline' in Corel and it cut the same shape in a different location. This is an exact copy of the shape it cut - I created the original shape and then copy and pasted this one to a new location. I even copied this into a new document completely by itself. That's the frustating part.... it cut the exact shape before without a problem.

Very puzzled... and of course this was something I needed to get done this weekend. :(

Tony Lenkic
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Dave, save that file in an earlier Corel version. I have X3 and cannot open that.

Chuck Stone
01-28-2012, 12:50 PM
can you save it as an earlier version so more people can try to help?

Jim Reinhard
01-28-2012, 1:48 PM
I have done copy and duplicate in corel and the new one looks the same but does not copy as hairline it will copy a thicker.Check if the copy is hairline also.

Mike Mackenzie
01-28-2012, 2:47 PM
Dave,

I ran this file and it was fine the only thing I saw was the UNITS for the pen width was set to POINTS I changed it to INCHES and it printed without any issues.

What does the entire file look like? In the UCP does this look "Lighter" on the screen than the ones that cut?

dave hensley
01-28-2012, 3:18 PM
Here's the file save as version9.

Jim - I can't see any differences between the original and the copy other than there in different locations. The properties in corel show it as Hairline and #FF0000 R:255 G:0 B:0.

Mike - I tried changing it to inches as you did but not luck. As soon as I press start on the laser, nothing. I have to shutdown ULS to get anywhere after that as it locks up the software.

Also, this is all there is to the shape. It's basically a small plaque and I was trying to cut two of them.

Chuck Stone
01-28-2012, 4:28 PM
Hi Dave .. got the file, but there is only one item on it.
I know you say they're the same, but SOMETHING is
different.. can you post it with the 'good' and the 'problem'
both on the same page?

I ran what you posted and it cut fine.. but I'm not sure if this
is the good one or the bad one

Larry Bratton
01-28-2012, 4:39 PM
What Chuck said. Only 1 curve with red hairline outline.

Tony Lenkic
01-28-2012, 4:46 PM
Dave, is this simple notched corners shape you are have problem?
It cuts on my machine also but it's somewhat slower than normal as if machine is looking for node to node process.
I recreated it and it cuts much smoother. Check if "NEW" would work for you.

Mark Sipes
01-28-2012, 7:18 PM
Had to convert hairline to .0005 inches for Trotec. ran fine as vector

dave hensley
01-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it! After trying all the suggestions, nothing was working, so I decided to reinstall the software and during that process found that there was an update released in December which I missed. While I don't know if it was the reinstallation or the update, I suspect it had to be an issue specfic to my ULS software, since it worked before today and also for some of you. It was even more bizarre that it cut it once this morning within the same job, but not more than that. Just happy it's working again so that I can finish this job! :)

Chuck - just an FYI, that was the "bad" shape in the file, which is just a copy of the "good" shape. It had to be a software problem on my end unrelated to the file itself.

Tony - I tried import the file you made before I reinstalled the software, but had the same results.

Thanks again!!