PDA

View Full Version : WIP Olive cup on a stick

Kathy Marshall
01-28-2012, 5:12 AM
It feels like all I've turned lately are bowls and more bowls mostly from mesquite (pics coming soon), with a box or two thrown in and tonight I decided it was time for something different. Different form and different wood. So I grabbed a funky shaped olive log and cut a section off the end.
This is a piece I cut off the end of the log, just to show the weird shapes olive logs can come in.
I cut a flat spot on the bottom, then took the corners off on the bandsaw, then drilled down into the crevice with a forstner bit to make a spot for my spur drive. Then mounted it between centers and started turning.
Once the outside shape was pretty much done (except for the very bottom), I mounted it in my chuck and started hollowing. The tailstock didn't stay very long, just long enough to get some of the high spots out of the middle (just not enough room to manuver).
Once I got some material out of the middle and got the upper walls close to finish thickness, I switched over to my Jamieson system. A few weeks ago I ordered the carbide cutter and wanted to give it a try. Man that thing cuts nice! It leaves a beautiful finish behind it, but you've got to be carefull as it's pretty easy to take off more than you expect. I'll have to practice more on some open forms to get a better feel for it.
Here it is fresh off the lathe, no finish yet.
Danish oil really pops the grain.
I'll be turning a pedestal tomorrow (technically today since it's going on 3am :eek:). The cup is about 4" tall and about 5 1/2" wide give or take. I'm thinking the pedestal needs to be somewhere around 9" tall. I'll have to see what spindle blanks I have, but it's probably going to be walnut. As far as form, I'm thinking with the size and shape of the cup, the pedestal should be widest at the top and taper down to the bottom. Thoughts? I'll cut another piece from the same log to turn a base, probably somewhere around 2-3" diameter.
What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Michelle Rich
01-28-2012, 5:33 AM
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Steve bellinger
01-28-2012, 5:49 AM
Kathy what a great looking piece of wood. Not sure if you left a small nub on the bottom of this,but when i'm putting anything on a pedestal,i'll leave a nub just so the cup gets centered. If that makes since.Qick pic of a piece i'm working on that shows what i mean. 221533

Bill Hensley
01-28-2012, 6:11 AM
Very creative! Good job on that one.

Roger Chandler
01-28-2012, 6:16 AM
Nice one K! Beautiful piece of olive..........that should look great on a pedestal.......looking forward to seeing your finished piece...........you really need to get some sleep! :D

John Keeton
01-28-2012, 6:22 AM
Kathy, in case you haven't realized it - it is time to shovel out the curlies!!!!!:eek:

This is an awesome piece - beautiful wood! It will be interesting to see what you do with the pedestal. I would think it needs a fairly substantial base to visually support a cup this width, and I think I would prefer a simple embellishment about 2/3 up the pedestal - just because the walnut will be rather plain, and the swirly grain of the olive will overpower a plain taper. I would also prefer a taper smaller at the top, though you will need to flare to a rather healthy transition at the top.

David E Keller
01-28-2012, 7:34 AM
What a gorgeous piece of wood! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece. This would be a neat form for some carved feet as well.

charlie knighton
01-28-2012, 7:36 AM
very nice piece as it is, just me as i am not much to do the pedestal thing, leave it as is, but since you have the flair i will be anticipating the finish piece with a pedestal

Dane Fuller
01-28-2012, 10:18 AM
That's a beautiful piece of wood and I love what you did with it! I can't wait to see it sitting proud on a pedestal.

Steve Mawson
01-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Very nice Kathy, no suggestions on the pedestal but know you will get it right. Just a beautiful piece so far.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Well that is impressive! Love the swirling grain pattern! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with as far as a pedestal!

Bill Bolen
01-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm most anxious to see the finished piece now Kathy. That is an outstanding cup. It is so alive with motion.

Don Alexander
01-28-2012, 11:58 AM
ok Kathy, you just upped the ante a whole lot !! of all the really nice stuff you have posted this one is definitely top shelf and my personal favorite so far BEFORE you even get a pedestal and base on it

as for the curlies, John, they do make a good background for the pic don't ya think? :)

not too sure a simple shovel is adequate though might need an excavator :D

Jon McElwain
01-28-2012, 1:02 PM
Kathy, in case you haven't realized it - it is time to shovel out the curlies!!!!!

John, I am hoping that there is a wide flat bench under that lathe. If those curlies are piled up from the floor - oh my...:eek:

Kathy - my first thought was "that looks like oyster shells, I wonder if there is a little treasure inside?"

Brian Effinger
01-28-2012, 1:09 PM
That is a beautiful piece of wood, and some excellent turning. Thanks for the progress photos - they explain a lot.
Can't wait to see the final piece.

Dan Forman
01-28-2012, 1:47 PM
Kathy --- That is superb! Good eye for seeing that form in the log. The wood is nothing short of spectacular. I think walnut will be a good compliment, having no experience with bases, can't help in the idea dept. I do feel comfortable in saying that don't think this is a good candidate for a finial though. :D

Dan

David DeCristoforo
01-28-2012, 2:02 PM
Hubba, hubba, hubba! This is going to look sooooo sweet on a pedestal. Being partial to stems that are wider at the top, I would wholeheartedly approve this design. If this were mine, I would seriously consider an ebony stem. Got any ebony?

robert raess
01-28-2012, 2:12 PM
I agree with Charlie,It is awesome all by itself!Maybe the bottom won't sit now[round bottom],but you can create a flat spot easy enough.Maybe glass or plexiglass or something square or rectangular? If i bought it, i would want to lift it and hold in my hands,then pass it around.Quite a striking piece! Rob

Kathy Marshall
01-28-2012, 2:21 PM
Thanks everyone!
I'm awake and rested and ready to tackle the pedestal, once I wade my way to the lathe!

John Keeton
Kathy, in case you haven't realized it - it is time to shovel out the curlies!!!!!:eek:

That's on the agenda for this weekend. The pile behind the lathe is actually taller than the headstock, and using it for a table doesn't work as well when the tools roll down onto the ways :eek:, besides which the nook that my hollowing rig fits in is completely filled in.

Jon McElwain

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by John Keeton http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1860896#post1860896)
Kathy, in case you haven't realized it - it is time to shovel out the curlies!!!!!

John, I am hoping that there is a wide flat bench under that lathe. If those curlies are piled up from the floor - oh my...:eek:

Sorry Jon, they are piled up from the floor! I've been pushing the pile in front of the lathe away with my feet, but I still almost have to bend over to reach the spindle. On a good note, when I was handling the cup and got a little fumble fingered, when it slipped out of my hands it landed with a nice soft poof on a cushion of curlies.

Don Alexander
ok Kathy, you just upped the ante a whole lot !! of all the really nice stuff you have posted this one is definitely top shelf and my personal favorite so far BEFORE you even get a pedestal and base on it

as for the curlies, John, they do make a good background for the pic don't ya think? :)

not too sure a simple shovel is adequate though might need an excavator :D

Oh Don, if only a simple shovel would fit! It's a pretty tight fit and no room to use a shovel, so the whole mess will be shoveled out with a dustpan. The aisle between the tools is just big enough for me to get through. On the bright side, the curlies do make a better background for shop pics than the dirty, splattered wall.

Bill Wyko
01-28-2012, 3:04 PM
WOW that is exquisite. Can't wait to see the rest of it. Bravo.

Steve Campbell
01-28-2012, 3:35 PM
Kathy I love most of your work, but this time you have even outdone yourself. Can wait to see it finished. As far as the curlies. As long as they don't draw critters. I kind of like to stand on a cushion..................

Steve

Baxter Smith
01-28-2012, 8:24 PM
Great form with great color, but the best part is your ability to see the potential while it was just an odd shaped chunk of wood!

Harvey Ghesser
01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Kathy, I love it! Very creative and very beautiful!