PDA

View Full Version : medicines side effects

ray hampton
01-27-2012, 9:34 PM
my doctor got me on 6 different prescriptions and the side -effects are many, 2 can cause diarrhea which is the only s e that I recall, I have to relieve myself more since I cut back on the medicines, maybe one of the pills are causing my body to retain water ,DO ALL MEDICINE HAVE SIDE-EFFECTS ?

David G Baker
01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Time to get a second opinion from another medical professional. It is my opinion that every thing we consume has side effects be it medication, chemicals or food. I am on a bunch of meds for diabetes, hypertension, etc and I experience some weird things on occasion. The latest is taking Aleve at bedtime for pain in my frozen shoulder. When I wake up in the morning I suffer from vertigo that lasts for hours. I stopped taking Aleve and the problem went away. I have a good doctor that listens to me and trusts me when I tell him about symptoms I experience and we work together to come up with a different dose or different drug all together. Good luck.

Gary Hodgin
01-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Ray,
I believe most prescription medicines have "potential" side effects. I take several meds and do experience some side effects. Follow David's advise on taking to your doc, but also ask your pharmacist. Pharmacist usually know more about meds than docs. In many cases, the doc can just take you off one med and put you on another with fewer side effects. People respond to meds in different ways.

ray hampton
01-27-2012, 11:06 PM
even the oxygen that we breathe got a side effect , I got diabetes too and been fighting a cough, one of the medicines side effect is a cough, maybe a second opinion will help

Bruce Pratt
01-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Yes, all medicines have side effects, some greater, some lesser; which does not necessarily make them bad, just that there should be a thoughtful assessment of relative benefits and risks. Remember, even water can have adverse effects when overdosed, e.g., hyponatremia. Also, a medicine may have interactions with other medicines, some interactions are known and expected, others may be idiosyncratic or previously un-described. ---Note: I am not a physician, this is not a medical opinion or advice, consult your physician before changing or stopping any medications.

C Scott McDonald
01-28-2012, 1:18 AM
Like others have said go back to your doctor and talk it over some more.

I am in the same boat. I suffer with insomnia and have taken different meds for it. Most either leave me feeling "hungover" or a wicked head ache the next day. But on the plus side they sometimes work in breaking the sleep cycle.

After dealing with insomnia for a while now I will try anything once.

Good luck and go talk to your Doctor.

Brian Elfert
01-28-2012, 2:04 AM
I love the listed side effects for a drug I am taking. It lists diarrhea and then the next side effect it lists constipation. Kinda hard to have both I would think.

Jim Matthews
01-28-2012, 9:48 AM
If it's the same physician prescribing all six, call the staff nurse to ask for a review.
Lab test will determine if the regimen is effective in treating the primary symptom.

If the side effect is more trips to the toilet versus death, I would buy nicer paper (rather than appear one last time in the paper).

Before you focus on the meds as a primary cause of morbidity, are you complying with all the doctor's recommendations (stop smoking, eat better, get exercise)?
Few drug therapies can overcome illness and a lack of meaningful exercise.

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I love the listed side effects for a drug I am taking. It lists diarrhea and then the next side effect it lists constipation. Kinda hard to have both I would think.
are you taking the same drug that I got, I saw constipation and diarrhea while I was taking my drug, having diarrhea at all time of the day without knowing it was coming do limits my travel even short trips to the store

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 1:00 PM
If it's the same physician prescribing all six, call the staff nurse to ask for a review.
Lab test will determine if the regimen is effective in treating the primary symptom.

If the side effect is more trips to the toilet versus death, I would buy nicer paper (rather than appear one last time in the paper).

Before you focus on the meds as a primary cause of morbidity, are you complying with all the doctor's recommendations (stop smoking, eat better, get exercise)?
Few drug therapies can overcome illness and a lack of meaningful exercise.
your advice sounds good and it could be that my diet are way overdue for a change but to charge diet now would require hiring a full time cook but I am unable to do this, thank you

Jim Koepke
01-28-2012, 1:54 PM
Just recently saw a cartoon of a doctor giving a patient a stack of prescriptions. The first one had a side effect that was countered by the second one that had a side effect that was countered by the third one that had a side effect...

It seems like doctors are trying to meet the expectations of patients by giving them something for what ever ails them. Prescribing medications is one way to give "the customer" what they were seeking.

My doctors had me taking way too many medications for my liking, including the one that has the side effect of coughing. Now, due to changing some of the factors in my life I have been able to discontinue all but a few. With a bit more work maybe more can be discontinued.

BTW, my father thought the doctors were just a bunch of pill pushers. He suffered from the side effects of one medication and lost respect for the medical system that prescribed them. He almost made it to 92.

jtk

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 4:10 PM
talking about side effects I have not took aspirins since a bad side effect that happen to me in the 1974 , I was using a pill for sinus trouble and made the mistake of taking a aspirin after the pill around 11:00 am got a doctor appointment at mid night, still were so dizzy that I could not walk good when I saw the doctor , HAVE NOT USE ASPIRINS SINCE THAT DAY

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 4:14 PM
Just recently saw a cartoon of a doctor giving a patient a stack of prescriptions. The first one had a side effect that was countered by the second one that had a side effect that was countered by the third one that had a side effect...

It seems like doctors are trying to meet the expectations of patients by giving them something for what ever ails them. Prescribing medications is one way to give "the customer" what they were seeking.

My doctors had me taking way too many medications for my liking, including the one that has the side effect of coughing. Now, due to changing some of the factors in my life I have been able to discontinue all but a few. With a bit more work maybe more can be discontinued.

BTW, my father thought the doctors were just a bunch of pill pushers. He suffered from the side effects of one medication and lost respect for the medical system that prescribed them. He almost made it to 92.

jtk
your father sounds like mine family which did not see a doctor too often

Don Jarvie
01-28-2012, 6:38 PM
All medications can cause side effects. It's not uncommon using 2 to 3 medications to treat an ailment. Ex, there are various ways to treat high blood pressure so its common to have 3 to 4 medications prescribed that act in different ways in the body to lower blood pressure.

Two things that can help. Make sure 1 doctor prescribes all of the medications and if one doesn't make sure your primary care knows you are taking other medications from other doctors. Second is to use 1 pharmacy. This way the pharmacist can evaluate any potential drug interactions.

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about your side effects and see if you can change medications.

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 7:14 PM
All medications can cause side effects. It's not uncommon using 2 to 3 medications to treat an ailment. Ex, there are various ways to treat high blood pressure so its common to have 3 to 4 medications prescribed that act in different ways in the body to lower blood pressure.

Two things that can help. Make sure 1 doctor prescribes all of the medications and if one doesn't make sure your primary care knows you are taking other medications from other doctors. Second is to use 1 pharmacy. This way the pharmacist can evaluate any potential drug interactions.

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about your side effects and see if you can change medications.
Your last sentence might work if I can remember to ask my medicine man [aska pharmacist ] with the correct words, all drug stores need a E-MAIL address for the people that forget which side of the bed to get up from

Brad Pearce
01-28-2012, 7:40 PM
I used to get debilitating migraines at least once a month in my mid 40s. I started running as part of training with my daughter for cross country 12 years ago and have not had a headache since. I run 20 miles per week and have never felt better. Not too much not too little, around 40 minutes every other day. Humans need exercise to maintain their metabolic and immune response. That said, there are clearly genetic disorders that require drug therapy. If your total cholesterol is 300 mg/dL and you have a reasonable diet you need statins or you will die at a young age. I do suffer from pre-hypertension so I do need to take an anti-hypertensive medication, which brings my blood pressure into the normal range. Given my diet and exercise that predisposition is in my genes. My older brother also has slightly elevated blood pressure as well. Bottom line: do the best you can do in terms of exercise and diet and then turn to medications where necessary. As a disclaimer, I work as a computational chemist in drug discovery so I am acutely aware of all the side effects that invariably happen between differing individuals. Contrary to popular belief, pharmaceutical companies do the best possible to minimize side effects in drug development, we are patients too! As a side, I find woodworking in my shop extremely therapeutic...

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 9:24 PM
Brad, thank you in advance for this question that you can explain !
diabetes prick their fingers in order to check blood sugar level and one of the alcohol pads brand at my drug store were recall, do you think that maybe the alcohol got watered down

I hope that the recall did not affect your company

Jim Koepke
01-28-2012, 9:35 PM
It's not uncommon using 2 to 3 medications to treat an ailment. Ex, there are various ways to treat high blood pressure so its common to have 3 to 4 medications prescribed that act in different ways in the body to lower blood pressure.

The best thing for correcting my blood pressure seems to be retirement and moving away from the city.

We went from loud and noisy city environment with neighbors playing loud music and other unsocial practices to a place so quite you can hear a mosquito hiccough.

It is miraculous. It has helped to eliminate all but two blood pressure medications. If it goes much lower, another one may be dropped.

jtk

ray hampton
01-28-2012, 9:45 PM
The best thing for correcting my blood pressure seems to be retirement and moving away from the city.

We went from loud and noisy city environment with neighbors playing loud music and other unsocial practices to a place so quite you can hear a mosquito hiccough.

It is miraculous. It has helped to eliminate all but two blood pressure medications. If it goes much lower, another one may be dropped.

jtk

your hearing must be better than a 0wl hearing

Bruce Pratt
01-29-2012, 9:25 AM
The most recent recall of non-sterile alcohol swab pads appears to have been a year ago, this month, because of possible contamination with a species of bacteria which is potentially harmful to humans.

Myk Rian
01-29-2012, 10:19 AM
The most recent recall of non-sterile alcohol swab pads appears to have been a year ago, this month, because of possible contamination with a species of bacteria which is potentially harmful to humans.
Say what???
Non-sterile pads have bacteria. What did they expect?

Brad Pearce
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Ray, I have no idea why the recall. If you are concerned about this I suggest contacting the manufacturer. Good luck.

Bruce Pratt
01-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Bacteria potentially harmful to humans - http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm239319.htm

ray hampton
01-29-2012, 1:49 PM
Say what???
Non-sterile pads have bacteria. What did they expect?

one would think that alcohol would sterile the pads
and kill all bacteria that were in the pads or the package

Don Jarvie
01-29-2012, 5:56 PM
Your last sentence might work if I can remember to ask my medicine man [aska pharmacist ] with the correct words, all drug stores need a E-MAIL address for the people that forget which side of the bed to get up from

That will be the day hell freezes over. The drug stores want you to come in so you buy something. Why do you think the pharmacy is in the back.

Jason Roehl
01-29-2012, 8:02 PM
One of the last times I was in a pharmacy to pick up a prescription for myself (a very, very rare event), the pharmacist said to me after check-out, "Come back again soon!" I replied, "I hope not!" He paused for a moment to mull it over then said, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

I think anytime you have to start taking a medication long-term, the first thing you should do is start looking into your diet. The amount of preservatives and overly-processed food we consume in the USA is astonishing. Even though I'm fairly healthy and in decent shape, I still have years of bad eating habits I'm trying to slowly undo. Probably the number one no-no is refined sugar. I haven't eliminated it, but I have cut way back. The first step years ago was cutting out the ~2 sodas I was drinking daily. Now it's a rare treat. (Diet pop isn't much better--nasty sweeteners and the carbonation stretches your stomach over time, making you eat more before you feel full).

Second, get moving. Get your heart rate up so that your liver, kidneys and friends can filter the toxins and waste products out of your blood more quickly and efficiently. There's something to be said for "sweating it out".