PDA

View Full Version : Waxed Wood Question

James Roberts
01-27-2012, 9:05 PM
Just received some 3x3x12 blocks of wood that I intended to make pepper grinders with. Eastern Cedar, Black Walnut, Osage Orange and Persimmon. They arrived coated with paraffin wax so I scraped off as much as possible and checked moisture content. The Cedar was 18%, the Walnut and Osage Orange averaged about 23% and the persimmon came in at 30%+, way too wet to start making grinders. I am thinking that I should turn them to biggest cylinder possible, re-coat the end grain and put them on a shelf for a year. Does this sound like a good plan or is there a better way?

Harry Robinette
01-27-2012, 9:15 PM
Jim
I scrape to long grain sides down to wood or close to it. Then put it up for 3 or 4 months.Leave all the wax on the end grain.
Hope this helps.

Scott Hackler
01-27-2012, 10:46 PM
James, you might be better off with that idea of rounding and resealing, just because of a more even drying.

David E Keller
01-28-2012, 7:24 AM
+1 for rounding and sealing the end grain only. If heard of people drilling out the center undersized to facilitate drying... I've never done it, so I can't tell you how that works, but it should speed the drying.

James Roberts
01-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone, I guess I will go with my instincts after all.

Bill White
01-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Not a drying answer, but won't cedar transfer a goofy taste to pepper corns?
Bill