PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Mormon Poplar Bowl

Eric Holmquist
01-27-2012, 7:00 PM
Natural Edge, end grain Mormon Poplar bowl. Thin enough that you can see light through it. Still quite wet, will let it slowly dry. No finish at the moment. Repeat of Jerry Sambrook demo at Central CT Woodturners meeting a few days ago.

Steve Vaughan
01-27-2012, 8:24 PM
What a neat idea. I like that. Wonder how the rim is gonna do as it dries, sure hope it holds up without cracking!

James Combs
01-27-2012, 8:49 PM
Nice looking bowl but if there was any cracking concerns I would think it would be around the pith in the bottom.

John Keeton
01-28-2012, 6:14 AM
Pretty neat, Eric! I bet the wet poplar was easy to turn.

Eric Holmquist
01-28-2012, 7:03 AM
Thanks, it was a fun project. Jerry has done this demo at a few local clubs, and might be doing it at San Jose, not sure what demo he is doing there. First time I tried it was with Mulberry, this time with Mormon Poplar. The wet Poplar was indeed very easy to turn

The Mulberry version cracked a little bit, but I did not turn that as thin as this one. Hopefully this one will dry better.

David E Keller
01-28-2012, 7:19 AM
Neat stuff! Isn't Mormon poplar another name for cottonwood? I thought it was until you said this was easy to turn... Cottonwood can be tricky for me!

Eric Holmquist
01-28-2012, 7:31 AM
Mormon Poplar is another name for Lombardy Poplar