PDA

View Full Version : TV's to be made in the USA once again.

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2012, 6:55 PM
This is some good news.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroit/index.ssf/2012/01/minnesota_company_plans_to_mak.html

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 7:27 PM
If by "made" they mean "assembled", then yes, these will be "made" in the US of A. The components, however, will still come off of the lines in Taiwan, China, Japan, etc.

Pat Barry
01-27-2012, 9:35 PM
Its good to see this made in USA happening. On a TV, the labor cost is something like 4% of the total cost. Materials are something like 60%. Sure they have to buy components from the big foundries in Asia, but this is a good example of how ridiculous it is for companies like Apple, etc to get the assembly done overseas when it is so small a portion of the total cost. They squeeze a few dollars out of the cheap labor overseas and we lose good jobs here at home. Its a crime in more ways than one.

Brian Elfert
01-28-2012, 2:01 AM
In Apple's case if all the parts are made overseas does it really make sense to have all the parts shipped to the USA for the final assembly? It would be much better for the American economy if most of the phone was made here, but that will never happen unless consumers quit buying the Chinese made iPhone.

Dan Hintz
01-28-2012, 8:32 AM
Its good to see this made in USA happening. On a TV, the labor cost is something like 4% of the total cost. Materials are something like 60%. Sure they have to buy components from the big foundries in Asia, but this is a good example of how ridiculous it is for companies like Apple, etc to get the assembly done overseas when it is so small a portion of the total cost. They squeeze a few dollars out of the cheap labor overseas and we lose good jobs here at home. Its a crime in more ways than one.
Labor may be 4% on a typical item, but Apple revels in making things ultra-compact, which means a significant increase in assembly labor. Ever tried taking apart an iPod?

David Keller NC
01-28-2012, 8:57 AM
Regarding the how and why of things made in China, it turns out that labor cost has little to do with the decision - it's about flexibility and the willingness of the government of China to back-stop "what-if" investments made by chinese firms. There's a rather excellent audio expose of Foxxconn city that was picked up by NPR and broadcast on This American Life. It is well worth listening to whether you care where something's made or not:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory

Regarding TVs, I'm under the strong impression that Vizio televisions are at least assembled in the US, if not the components. I couldn't say for sure because I don't like the picture performance of LCD televisions and haven't really checked the company out.

Harry Hagan
01-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Regarding TVs, I'm under the strong impression that Vizio televisions are at least assembled in the US, if not the components. I couldn't say for sure because I don't like the picture performance of LCD televisions and haven't really checked the company out.

I’ve heard from several TV repair technicians that Visio isn’t too particular about who supplies its components as long as that supplier meets Visio’s price and quality standards. For example, the same model could be sitting on a retailer's shelf and have screens from different manufacturers: Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc.

TV Technician: My momma always said, "Visio is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Dan Hintz
01-28-2012, 4:24 PM
I’ve heard from several TV repair technicians that Visio isn’t too particular about who supplies its components as long as that supplier meets Visio’s price and quality standards. For example, the same model could be sitting on a retailer's shelf and have screens from different manufacturers: Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc.
The same could be said of all manufacturers... they all do it. Sharp, Samsung, etc. If their plants are at max capacity, they'll work out a deal with other plants to make product for them. The same is true of hard drives... A seagate drive may be made by up to 3 different plants, none of which are owned/operated by Seagate.

Pat Barry
01-29-2012, 8:00 PM
They go together very easy. They are not intended to be taken apart.

Dan Hintz
01-30-2012, 6:56 AM
They go together very easy. They are not intended to be taken apart.
Apple products are not intended to be taken apart by the average consumer, but they are certainly designed to be taken apart. For example, when you go in for an iPad battery that no longer holds juice very well (which happens after a year of heavy use, two of standard use), they give you a refurb with a new battery. They do not take it in the back room, pop off the cover, and bring back your current iPad. It can be done by Joe Home User, but it's not easy or straightforward. The products are designed for compactness, not convenience of assembly.

Phil Thien
01-30-2012, 7:58 PM
The products are designed for compactness, not convenience of assembly.

Got that right.

We typically say "they aren't easily serviced."

But that is often an understatement.

Me <- Guy that has to fix Apple products.