PDA

View Full Version : Wood Dynamics ZCI

Ray Scheller
01-27-2012, 6:13 PM
I have a Wood Dynamics ZCI in my PM66 and I'm in need of the red oak inserts that slide into the insert. The Wood Dynamics web page says they are temporarily out of stock but they've been saying that for awhile. Are there any other sources or do I assume I need to make my own? It doesn't seem like it would be to hard to whip a few out but my time in the shop is minimal so buying them would be a better option.

Bruce Page
01-27-2012, 7:11 PM
Ray, they are not difficult to make. Once you have the stock planed down to the right thickness it’s just a matter of a couple of cuts on the tablesaw and trimming the end radius on a sander or bandsaw. Another plus is once you get it dialed in you can make a bunch of them.

Ray Scheller
01-27-2012, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. They don't look hard it's the time I don't like to lose but as they say "it is what it is." Your location looks familiar I know I've been there once or twice. Thanks again.

Bruce Darrow
01-27-2012, 9:27 PM
What (the other) Bruce said.

As far as I know, Wood Dynamics is out of business. Could be wrong, though. If they are, though, you're down to one choice.......

Use the ZCI itself, with an old insert in place, as a template and rout the curves.

Roger Davis
01-27-2012, 10:46 PM
The ZCI and inserts are available from Charles Neil's website https://charlesneilwoodworking.3dcartstores.com/Table-Saw-Accessories_c_10.html. Looks like he acquired the Wood Dynamics ZCI product though it is not mentioned on his site.

Ray Scheller
01-28-2012, 3:21 PM
Roger,

Thanks for the link, I sent them an email inquiring about inserts for the PM66 because I didn't see them offered on their website. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do. If they do I'm ordering up a few so I can have several in reserve. Thanks again.

richard poitras
01-28-2012, 9:15 PM
Ray I may have some what size are the inserts?

Roger Davis
01-29-2012, 5:52 PM
Ray,

What did you pay for your ZCI from Wood Dynamics? Charles Neill is asking $125.00 which is pricey. Do you like your WD ZCI better than ZCI made from MDF?

Ray Scheller
01-29-2012, 6:45 PM
I love the insert. The best thing about it is once you get it level there's nothing else you need to do. You just change out the wood insert to match the blade you're using no fuss no muss. I can't find the receipt (I bought it 10+ years ago) but it was pricey. For me It more than makes up the price in convenience providing you can get the inserts. The one drawback is finding pre made inserts, if I can't find them I'll have to make them and I'll make a bunch of them you can bet. Right now I've made inserts for all my regular blades that I use most often (crosscut, rip, thin kerf,). But I also needed to make inerts for those blades set at various angles (22.5, 45, 60....etc). Then there's the inserts for the dado cuts at all the different widths. I think you get the picture of the number of inserts you really need once you get started down this road, but that's the advantage of this insert just swap the insert to match the application. I hope this helps you in your decision. By the way I have no affiliation with Charles Neill even though it may sound that way.

Bruce Page
01-29-2012, 6:59 PM
Roger, I made my own on my conventional mill (non-CNC). It took me about 3 hours plus cleanup time. Considering the price of aluminum plate, machining time, overhead, profit margin etc., I think $125 is reasonable. As Ray mentioned, they are very convenient and work well.